By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

London with kids

Ayline

I have to entertain two little boys in and around London for a few days (2.5 and 5 years old).

As I have no experience of London with young kids I need help from people who do.

Places to see, bad weather activities, child-friendly establishments, any other useful info or advice.

'Return to parents' is not the correct answer in this case.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't for everyone but we stayed in a wood cabin in Lee Valley Country park.

There's plenty o do inte park, it has Olympic venues in it and walks and activities, and then you have a 1 hour approx 'commute' into the city.

It's £50 a night for a cabin with bunk beds and a sofa bed. Facilities on site are basic but it ,gives options that you wouldn't have in a city b&b

My link - campsite with cabins

The boat from Westminster to Greenwich is a great day out., from Greenwich you can take a short docklands railway journey to the museum of London docklands if you run out of things to see in Greenwich at the naval college and the cutty sark and maritime museums.

I found the natural history museum and science museum spectacular in theory but disappointing because they are so busy and crowded. You can't get round them easily and there was a 50 minute wait to get in the dinosaur gallery. Was in the school holidays though.

The museum of London docklands has the best kids play area in its basement. Loads of hands on play and it's free. Great for under 6 kids.

Edited by Tony Le Mesmer

I think some of the stuff suggested may not be entirely hitting the mark... science museum for a two and half year old?

My boy loved the dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum at that age, but the Science museum may be a stretch admittedly. Went dinosaur mad and it is only just wearing off now, eighteen months later.

Rainforest Cafe is a great shout and if the weather is nice the Princess Diana Memorial Playground in Kensington Gardens is brilliant. Has a Pirate Ship and the usual playground stuff.

Edited by DanielS

If you take them on the Eye make sure they go to the toilet first. Last time we went on our fellow passengers kid decided he needed to go about 5 mins into the trip so they let him go in the corner of the pod.

Edited by muleskinner

I think some of the stuff suggested may not be entirely hitting the mark... science museum for a two and half year old?

You''re never too young to learn about electron. At that age as long as you take them somewhere that sells cake they will no doubt be happy as pigs in s***.

Edited by D.Boon

There's a decent space in the basement of the science museum for the yopunger one, unfortunately, the older one will want to be on the third (4th?) floor discovery zone thing

Golden Hinde (it's by the south side of Southwark Bridge) - they can play pirates

London Transport Museum is also a decent shout - little one can play on the little wooden train set while the older one will want to push all the buttons/drive a train and get his ticket stamped