By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Talk at the bbc

smithdown

Anyone been watching this?

Some fantastic telly going on with these clips and I haven't delved into the full length ones on the iplayer but...

Seeing celebrity folk quite naturally break into discussions about housing policy, trade unionism, faith healing, widowhood, long haired youths or just sitting there completely stoned off their cakes - fascinating gear where people are asked questions and allowed to think of an answer, sometimes smart sometimes stupid but interstingly honest enough all the same, rather than a load of screaming hysterical laughter ramming up against jarg rehearsed camped up cack banter, or bursting into tears and apologies to fans for getting caught with their keks down waving bags of sniff about.

They had conversations on the telly then. Kept wondering when did this happen? When did PR smother it all and turn it into chaaaaaaaat?

Balls to it.

So it's yes to Ali, Monty, Parky and Fanny Craddock and I want to kill you stone dead!!! to ross, morgan, lovejoy, norton and all that lot and a big mad final f*ck off purslow.

Brilliant program...been watching it, though I only seem to remember about it halfway through each prog. As you say the difference between interviews now and then is unbelievable, the topics they touch on then compared to now, as you say its all one big PR task now, whereas then it seems as if they were willing to touch on any subject.

Loved Parky sticking up for the rights of the unions to strike last night against kenneth williams.

Two things seem to have happened.

The first is that chat shows are seen as a branch of comedy now - Norton, Ross, etc. While they were funny in the past, the funny bit wasn't the point. Now it's supposed to have a laugh a minute ratio.

Second is that on the more serious ones, instead of an hour long interview with just two cameras, pointing at the interviewer and interviewee, as in the Bertrand Russell one, now it's more 'profile of' rather than one long interview, which is possibly more entertaining, if not enlightening.

That's my tuppence worth.

Contrast that with the puffpiece done by Noel Fielding on meeting Damien Hirst for an hour the other night, pure p1ssing about sniggering and snorting, using the word 'brilliant' as a sentence several dozen times and repeatedly observing that he'd love everything he saw if he'd still been eight as if this was the summit of artistic achievement...

Bunch of b*stards.

Contrast that with the puffpiece done by Noel Fielding on meeting Damien Hirst for an hour the other night, pure p1ssing about sniggering and snorting, using the word 'brilliant' as a sentence several dozen times and repeatedly observing that he'd love everything he saw if he'd still been eight as if this was the summit of artistic achievement...

Bunch of b*stards.

Saw that the other night. Was frightening how bad Fielding was.

Saw that the other night. Was frightening how bad Fielding was.

The whole thing was grim. The only person with anything critical to say was Brian F*cking Sewell, like it was 'if you don't think hirst is uh brillihunt you must be Brian F*cking Sewell'.

I hate Damian Hirst and I am not Brian Sewell. I f*ckin know I'm not.

Two things seem to have happened.

The first is that chat shows are seen as a branch of comedy now - Norton, Ross, etc. While they were funny in the past, the funny bit wasn't the point. Now it's supposed to have a laugh a minute ratio.

Surely the Americanisation of tv ? Ross and Evans helped turn the tide.

The whole thing was grim. The only person with anything critical to say was Brian F*cking Sewell, like it was 'if you don't think hirst is uh brillihunt you must be Brian F*cking Sewell'.

I hate Damian Hirst and I am not Brian Sewell. I f*ckin know I'm not.

Never met you, but from what I know of you on here, I agree. You're definitely not Brian Sewell.

I liked the bit where they said the shark in the tank makes us confront our fears of death, or some similar nonsense. It doesn't really, does it?

Makes no sense when you think how cheap it would be, wouldn't be any more expensive than jonathon ross roaring with gleeful laughter every time simon cowell's eyes narrow in on him for saying something about his trousers or whatever he has been told he can tease him over. F*ck it, ask cowell a question about his life or what he thinks and I'll listen while he answers if he's honest.

Never met you, but from what I know of you on here, I agree. You're definitely not Brian Sewell.

I liked the bit where they said the shark in the tank makes us confront our fears of death, or some similar nonsense. It doesn't really, does it?

No. It doesn't. What did it make them think about death? We'll never know, because they just kept saying how things are sort making them think about death, yeah it does, makes you think of death, it really does, yeah.

Is that because the creature you are looking at is dead?

If you see one swimmin about with his mates in an aquarium does it make you think about life?

Do all dead creatures in art galleries make you think about death?

Do dead things make you think about death?

What the f*ck is it that you f*ckin think about it then you f*ckin moron?

And when you say 'it makes you see it soooooo differently cos it is in an art gallery and not in the natural history museum, like wow'...why? F*ckin why? Cos you're a tw*t like is it? It f*ckin is.

No. I'm not Brian Sewell by a long chalk.

Edited by smithdown

No. It doesn't. What did it make them think about death? We'll never know, because they just kept saying how things are sort making them think about death, yeah it does, makes you think of death, it really does, yeah.

Is that because the creature you are looking at is dead?

If you see one swimmin about with his mates in an aquarium does it make you think about life?

Do all dead creatures in art galleries make you think about death?

Do dead things make you think about death?

What the f*ck is it that you f*ckin think about it then you f*ckin moron?

And when you say 'it makes you see it soooooo differently cos it is in an art gallery and not in the natural history museum, like wow'...why? F*ckin why? Cos you're a tw*t like is it? It f*ckin is.

No. I'm not Brian Sewell by a long chalk.

dead right. I was in the natural history museum today. It was chock full of interesting specimens and cabinets. The architecture of the building is astonishing and as a special treat there was an exhibition of falconry in the garden and my daughter was made up to have an Asian owl land on her gloved hand. Marvellous.

But none of the dead animals in the museum made me think of death.

You are right, it's no sort of comment to say that. Hirst isn't very interesting.

John Leckey has a good art installation in the Manchester metropolitan museum at the moment, well better than Hirst.

The Bertrand Russell thing above is tremendous.