By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Any plumbers on here?

Bailo

f***ing boiler stopped working tonight. No problem with gas supply as hobs and fire are working, have changed the fuse on the switch outside the bathroom and it's still dead - pilot light off and resetting it as per the manual suggests does nothing. Presumably this is a call out and repair? Anything else an idiot could try first? i.e. hitting it with a hammer, reinstalling Java

brace yourself for the cost of replacing it, unless you are lucky.

how old is the boiler ?

Came with the house, not entirely sure, but less than 5 years I think. Heatline though, not a great make at all.

Have any wires in the circuit board come loose?

And how would an electrical/plumbing layman like myself find that out?

We've had a ridiculous amount of problems with ours recently. Spent a small fortune and still not working properly.

Gas valves going kapput seems to be a common problem.

Find someone with no call out charge first. As that can be a £50 sting just for someone to tell you its not working.

As far as what you can do, can you access the circuit board? try using an electric screwdriver to see if there's any connections not working.

Not sure what make of boiler you have but on some you can take the front cover off. There might be another smaller cover inside. The circuit board would usually be in there. If there's a electricity cable running into the boiler that's a good indication of where it is.

I always have had the British gas cover for my boiler costs tenner a month but gets a regular service and they replace it if it is beyond repair have done the same in one of my rental properties and within a month they had to replace the boiler so it was money well spent.

Presuming you have done the obvious checks as described in the manual, If you are comfortable dealing with electrics, isoalte it at the mains and have a look and see if there are any smaller internal fuses within the casing itself that may have gone. Check to see you have enough water pressure in the system( usually around 1.5bar)

If nothing obvious then it could be a signalling problem, faulty ignition block or gas valve. Or a 100 other things that will cost you money.

Edited by D.Boon

cant you sign up to their homecare plan, then call the feckers out?

Not as easy as that Wayne they come out and check the boiler before you can join to avoid that little scam. I was lucky (if you want to call it that) on one occasion I joined they came and checked the boiler and were satisfied was in good working order and then it died within the month so got meself a new one!!

It's terminal. s***ty Heatline boiler had a design fault meaning eventually one of the pump leaks water onto the circuit board, shorting it out every time it runs.

Chap who came out quoted £600 labour to fit a new one, which was up to us. Am going to go Worcester Bosch or Valliant, not f***ing around with s***ty makes anymore. Seems reasonable that.

It's terminal. s***ty Heatline boiler had a design fault meaning eventually one of the pump leaks water onto the circuit board, shorting it out every time it runs.

Chap who came out quoted £600 labour to fit a new one, which was up to us. Am going to go Worcester Bosch or Valliant, not f***ing around with s***ty makes anymore. Seems reasonable that.

thats a decent enough price. bad time of year for it to go t*** up.

Unless it was £600 labour

and then the boiler on top of that

Yeah, kinda wishing I had that now! BG aren't coming out to anyone not on their Homecare plan at the moment.

Really???? That surprises me.

Last I heard they would come out, you pay an excess and then its slightly more a month. Like £13

You're telling me :cold:

Unless it was £600 labour

and then the boiler on top of that

Yeah, £600 labour and then the boiler on top. Seems very reasonable to me, mates have been quoted £4k (admittedly with new piping included that we've already had done).

Really???? That surprises me.

Last I heard they would come out, you pay an excess and then its slightly more a month. Like £13

Yeah, first place we tried and they're so busy they're prioritising Homecare customers.

You're telling me :cold:

Yeah, £600 labour and then the boiler on top. Seems very reasonable to me, mates have been quoted £4k (admittedly with new piping included that we've already had done).

Yeah, first place we tried and they're so busy they're prioritising Homecare customers.

kin nora.

Thats s***, I think they did the same last year during the ice age

4k ? f*** off!

Nobody would pay that

£500/£600 is about the going rate. Anyone could phone 3 or 4 gas fitters out of the yellow pages and get a simmilar price

Twas British Gas mind. But yeah, £600 to me to fit this seems fine and he did our fireplace for us a year ago and that was great. Want to reward people who do good jobs really.

Don't British gas do deals whereby you can replace new for old then join the homecare and they give you massive discounts?

British gas prices give them plenty of room to offer discounts without coming down to the general market rate. Personally I wouldn't go near them to fit a boiler. Its paying for an uneccesaary brand, like Everest windows or something.

Ah I get ya. I suppose it's lesson learned duncey get the British gas cover once the new one is in. Also don't leave it to the plumber to get the boiler shop round (Inc eBay) there are loads of independent suppliers out there to get a boiler cheaper than the usual major merchants