By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Apps for Android

Tommok

Any good tips?

Most used ones that I have downloaded are

Barcode scanner

Journey Pro

Better Keyboard

Juice Defender and Juice plotter

Task Killer - not decided on whether this works or not and opinion on the internet seems wildly divided.

Sky map (actually I've only used it once but it's quite nifty)

Taskiller - great as long as you set the main functions to ignore. But when I've finished playing a game or using Navigation or something it speeds up the phone quickly.

All the Google apps - maps, voice, chat, goggles, etc.

Angry Birds

ESPN Goals

Homerun Battle 3D

MP3 Music Download - download MP3s for free as long as they're in the database

MyBackupPro

Shazam

Park Reminder

Better Keyboard

Vignette - nice camera app

SoundHound

Seems to be divided opinion on the task killer apps. XDA Developers forum seem to be saying its unnecessary as Android is designed to sit the apps idle whilst not being used and will turn them off in time and there is no saving of battery life to be had plus it can cause issues with HTC Sense and other parts of the OS. I've ditched it and will see how it goes battery wise.

Taskiller - great as long as you set the main functions to ignore. But when I've finished playing a game or using Navigation or something it speeds up the phone quickly.

All the Google apps - maps, voice, chat, goggles, etc.

Angry Birds

ESPN Goals

Homerun Battle 3D

MP3 Music Download - download MP3s for free as long as they're in the database

MyBackupPro

Shazam

Park Reminder

Better Keyboard

Vignette - nice camera app

SoundHound

What do you mean by "main functions"?

And out of interest what skin did you choose for Better Keyboard?

Is Better Keyboard free? can only see free skins, can't even see a better keyboard app

Not its not free its a couple of quid but then pretty much all of the skins are free.

It is pretty good and I do seem to make less mistakes than with default one.

I need something that will have slightly bigger buttons though ideally as my fingers are a bit big.

Some of my favourite ones that I haven't deleted:

British Airways (All your flights and your boarding card on your phone)

APNdroid (turns off your 3G/Edge/GPRS connections when eg roaming. Will also disable all APNs if you want it to)

Xperia flashlight (torch for when in attic)

Skyfire (Browser which plays flash movies for your favourite sites. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about)

Spotify (even if it's premium)

beebPlayer (iPlayer on yer Android phone)

Blink (allows you to get thrilly with different LED colours for battery warnings etc)

Bubble (best spirit level I've seen for any smartphone)

Cardiotrainer (tremendous for tracking your jogging or biking routes by GPS even on the free version)

ConvertPad (every conversion you could think of)

Easy Scorecard (has actually made me start to enjoy golf this summer, cos even if I am as s*** as ever I enjoy creating course profiles and filling in the scores of me and my mates)

eBay (tremendous when following an auction)

Fring (Can aggregate all your IM clients. Lost Skype about 6 months ago but now Skype has its own Android 2.1 app so you can have that too)

GDocs (In the absence of an official Google Docs app this provides basic functionality. Reading, basically, but that's good enough)

Google Sky Map (love it, and it's been updated today with new stuff like seeing how the constellations evolved and how they will evolve in the future)

KeePassDroid (Good for securely holding all 150 login/password combinations for different websites)

Listen (Great for Podcasts)

Opera Mini (Got much better recently for web browsing)

Stopwatch (Good for when cooking)

TrackID (still the best and still gives you a sense of wonder when you use it. Soundhound is also good if you don't use a Sony Ericsson)

TV Guide (what's on telly in Ireland and the UK)

Tweetdeck (not brilliant but since Twitter was supposed to be for your mobile phone, this provides the best desktop experience on your Android)

Metal Detector (Not sure how it works and it doesn't always work but people find it very impressive if you get into a conversation about phones, which happens...)

What do you mean by "main functions"?

And out of interest what skin did you choose for Better Keyboard?

Things like HTC Sense if you have an HTC phone - GMail, Calendar, Touch Input, Taskiller itself, Mail (if you use it), and a couple of others depending on your usage style. (I ignore music and weather too, just because they're widgets on my homescreen)

I just have the regular skin, I like it. I do like Swype too, but it's not available for everyone yet.

Things like HTC Sense if you have an HTC phone - GMail, Calendar, Touch Input, Taskiller itself, Mail (if you use it), and a couple of others depending on your usage style. (I ignore music and weather too, just because they're widgets on my homescreen)

I just have the regular skin, I like it. I do like Swype too, but it's not available for everyone yet.

Ah OK Cheers.

I don't have task killer set to do any auto-kill, I just do it manually from time to time. I use juice defender too but no idea if they actually work!

• 3 months later...

I downloaded the keyboard app, SwiftKey yesterday and it's excellent.

Basically it not only predicts the word you want faster than most other keyboards but it also pretty accurately predicts what words you may want next. It learns which combinations you most use.

Much better than the original keyboard and Better Keyboard. There's a free trial which expires after 31 days or the full version costs about 1.50.

I dont use a task killer. Google themselves explained why they arent needed. They sit in memory but use no extra power. If more memory is needed Android will close the apps not in use.

Im having great fun with my Desire HD at the minute. Rooted and unlocked it. Installed a custom rom and then custom themes etc. Overclocked the processor from 1ghz to 1.8ghz!

I dont use a task killer. Google themselves explained why they arent needed. They sit in memory but use no extra power. If more memory is needed Android will close the apps not in use.

Im having great fun with my Desire HD at the minute. Rooted and unlocked it. Installed a custom rom and then custom themes etc. Overclocked the processor from 1ghz to 1.8ghz!

I had a G1 and Nexus One, rooted both of them. Had a Desire HD for a couple of months now but haven't taken the plunge to root, mainly because it runs so well as stock.

That said... Which roms have you tried, and which did you end up sticking with? And themes? Cyanogen is the usual go to rom for me, but it doesn't look like he's developing CM7 for the DHD.

I had a G1 and Nexus One, rooted both of them. Had a Desire HD for a couple of months now but haven't taken the plunge to root, mainly because it runs so well as stock.

That said... Which roms have you tried, and which did you end up sticking with? And themes? Cyanogen is the usual go to rom for me, but it doesn't look like he's developing CM7 for the DHD.

Ive only tried leedroid. Wasnt sure if it was a good idea to lose HTC Sense. Though ive never tried a ROM without it so not sure what thats like.

Im using kalagas mixed theme. Really brightens the phone up with new animated icons, and coloured icons instead of HTC black icons.

There are several teams now working on a leaked Gingerbread ROM from HTC, which of course includes sense. Which is also being updated to a new version. Im not bothering with any betas yet though, just going to stick with leedroid for a while.

I've thought about rooting my Desire HD.

Never took the plunge with my Hero. How easy is it? What are the main advantages to it?

Its easy enough if you read the guides and follow them right. Unfortunately the latest software on the HD isnt rootbale, so you have to downgrade first. Theres a few hours work invovled.

main benefits ive experienced are: Custom Theme. Overclocked processor. Speaker volume increased. Custom ROM is smoother and quicker. Apparently improves battery life too though i havent noticed that, mostly as i havent really set it down since installing the rom! Ads are blocked. Screen is better looking as apparently the ROM has updated GPU drivers.

Can also then increase the stock ringtone volume, change fonts, install new kernels and radios for improving signal.

Its not a must do with the Desire HD as the stock software is pretty good. To be honest i only really done it as i needed it unlocked, which was costing me £15 but still required downgrading the software. I thought if im going to downgrade i may aswell go the whole way and root it and therefore unlocking it myself!