By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

watching blackadder for the first time

Stevie H

am about to introduce my other half to the joys of blackadder as she's never seen it before and i've managed to get the whole lot in a boxset. question is, do i show her the first season or just jump straight in to the start of season two when it's actually funny? suppose it's still good to compare and contrast the first series with the next three, but it's just not that funny really is it?

yeah was thinking that but then i have sort of briefed her that the first series isn't really representative. so i may have to let her make her own mind up about it. besides which it's a damn long time since i saw the first series anyway so i might look at it differently now.

pretty much every american i know who has never seen blackadder wonders why people rave about it so much when all they know about it is that it stars the bloke from mister bean.

it's probably ten years since i've seen the first series so i'm coming around to watching it in the correct order. having watched them all i'm then going to have to explain the ben elton metamorphosis to her as well.

If she doesn't like it, whatever season, get rid, she's obviously not the girl for you.

i have no doubt that she'll love 2, 3 and 4 but 1 i don't know.

it'll be like playing who's who anyway. there's loads of people to spot. oh look there's the bloke out of notting hill as sir percy. and there's hagrid. and house! wow, house is in it! and that host off QI who hates women. . .

it's probably ten years since i've seen the first series so i'm coming around to watching it in the correct order. having watched them all i'm then going to have to explain the ben elton metamorphosis to her as well.

i have no doubt that she'll love 2, 3 and 4 but 1 i don't know.

it'll be like playing who's who anyway. there's loads of people to spot. oh look there's the bloke out of notting hill as sir percy. and there's hagrid. and house! wow, house is in it! and that host off QI who hates women. . .

skip season one its crap

am about to introduce my other half to the joys of blackadder as she's never seen it before and i've managed to get the whole lot in a boxset. question is, do i show her the first season or just jump straight in to the start of season two when it's actually funny? suppose it's still good to compare and contrast the first series with the next three, but it's just not that funny really is it?

I'd start with Blackadder III. The best one.

start with season 4 and work backwards

Stop it with all this "season" stuff. THIS IS NOT AMERICA.

never seen blackadder except bits while waiting for ads on other channels to finish on uk gold and never got why its rated so highly.. I was thinking of making a concerted effort of watching it this time around as the comedy we get here in pakistan is all american rubbish. However, is it a patch on Only fools and horses, open all hours etc.

I agree. It's nowhere near as bad as people make out. It's still very watchable .

It's weird, though, when the latter three series are so bloody brilliant. Like having a series of Cheers with Norm as the barman, Cliff as the barfly and Sam as the postie.

I've no idea either.