By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Car repair advice

Serko

I've got a badly damaged front passenger door and I don't think it can get fixed so will probably need replacing. Renault are saying the parts will be £360 (door, impact kit, moulding) and labour will be about £610 excl vat so total with VAT would be £1140. I've looked for spare parts online and I can get a second hannd door for £100 incl vat and delivery. I'm not sure if this includes the impact kit and moulding though. Would i be better of taking the second hand door and getting it fitted at a local garage? If so does anyone have any rough ideas what a reasonable price is for removing and fitting a car door?

ring round a few mechanics to get a price range in mind....buying and getting it done by renault mechanics etc will cost well over the norm....theres no way getting a door fitted should cost that....deffo get a second hand one and get fitted by local one.

They mentioned about doing some paintwork to make the door blend in, but surely if it's the same colour as original it wouldn't stand out that much(although there may be some fading with the sunlight).

They mentioned about doing some paintwork to make the door blend in, but surely if it's the same colour as original it wouldn't stand out that much(although there may be some fading with the sunlight).

getting it fitted locally then getting it sprayed still wouldnt come close to what renault will charge you.

Serko

Get to your local breakers yard. £100 for a second hand door is a bollix. How old is the car? If old then I'd go for Fyds multi-coloured approach.... or Khanee's Bin bag. Any mainstream dealers are going to charge you two arms and a kidney. Wife's car had a minor prang and had to get quotes for insurance. Now I know why insurance premiums are so high.

Fitting a car door is not a big job. It's literally an hour's work, two at absolute most. I wouldn't be paying any more than £100 in labour for it and that's top whack. You should be able to get a door from a breakers for about £30-40 no worries. If you have to get it resprayed though, get it done properly, otherwise the finish will be rubbish.

Edited by philmatthews