By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Secret Millionaire last night

Gravy

Just reading about it on the Guardian's media page. I stopped watching the series ages ago for most of the reasons in the review - the millionaires are like aliens without a clue about how people live and after you've realised that there is nothing else to be gained from further viewing.

Just reading about it on the Guardian's media page. I stopped watching the series ages ago for most of the reasons in the review - the millionaires are like aliens without a clue about how people live and after you've realised that there is nothing else to be gained from further viewing.

That applies to the guy on last night, he didn't have a clue about homeless families and single fathers.

But he certainly shifted the money out. £15K plus £60K for the playground and it's workers, £150K for a deposit for an emergency homeless shelter which would have it's mortgage more than paid for by rent payments to benefit claimants and £10K to a single dad to help furnish his new place for him and his 3 kids and a free holiday to Disney.

The new format spoils it though, cos they show bits of the end at the start and say how much is divvied out.

That applies to the guy on last night, he didn't have a clue about homeless families and single fathers.

But he certainly shifted the money out. £15K plus £60K for the playground and it's workers, £150K for a deposit for an emergency homeless shelter which would have it's mortgage more than paid for by rent payments to benefit claimants and £10K to a single dad to help furnish his new place for him and his 3 kids and a free holiday to Disney.

The new format spoils it though, cos they show bits of the end at the start and say how much is divvied out.

Nice for them. A pity about the 1 in 3 kids still in poverty in the UK...

Edited by DanielS

The programme said 1 in 2, then said this sort of thing affects about 1 million kids???

Feckin disgrace this is even allowed to happen, never mind within an estate in the country's capital city.

I was going off the Endchildpoverty.org.uk website. They have it as 30%.

I was going off the Endchildpoverty.org.uk website. They have it as 30%.

In parts of Manchester and Merseyside its a higher percentage of kids in poverty. (51% Central Manchester & 47% Liverpool Riverside)

How do we make any sort of meaningful dent in those statistics ? The answer must be about employment with decent wages.

It would have to be a national job creation effort, probably nationalisation of industries and higher taxes. The electorate isn't sufficiently arsed about kids in Salford or Norris Green though.

In parts of Manchester and Merseyside its a higher percentage of kids in poverty. (51% Central Manchester & 47% Liverpool Riverside)

How is living in poverty defined?

I am from Liverpool Riverside, and i wouldnt say half of the children are living in poverty

How is living in poverty defined?

I am from Liverpool Riverside, and i wouldnt say half of the children are living in poverty

I know what you mean John. I must admit that my first assumption was that the kids near where I live seem alright. They have bikes and their clothes don't seem like rags in Victorian times. I tend to think we don't make the best use of what money we do get in today's society. We waste a lot of money on booze and crap food for example and maybe if you are in poverty then you should look at spending your money a bit more carefully. Then I thought I was being a reactionary Tory c*** so I had a read of this website and it provides some statistics on child poverty...endchildpoverty.org.uk

But even then, i'm looking at this list of effects of child poverty and wondering what to make of it.

If i was one of these unfortunate people or someone working on projects in deprived areas and some mysterious volunteer pitched up with a camera crew i'd be rubbing my hands, waiting for the cash to land in my lap.

How can they keep the suspense up? It's everywhere, this show.

Edited by Stanley Leisure

If i was one of these unfortunate people or someone working on projects in deprived areas and some mysterious volunteer pitched up with a camera crew i'd be rubbing my hands, waiting for the cash to land in my lap.

How can they keep the suspense up? It's everywhere, this show.

was thinking that myself.... Surely after five years people have gotten a rough idea of the show and how it works.

D'uh!

It's not like they go in saying exactly what it's for.

They let on they're making a documentary, but I think they need to change their tack from placing a "short-term volunteer".

Yer man last night was letting too much out of the bag and you could see bells ringing in the people's heads and their eyes lighting up.

They shouldn't film it while the person's working there anymore, just do all that stuff with CGI + voiceover.

Shouldn't cost much to motion capture a few bleeding heart old biddies and a couple of smackheads from Doncaster.

Edited by Paul Caruso

What about last night's?

Mullet-wearing, greasy spoon-eating, wide boy, scrap metal dealer that lost his two sisters to heroin and went to Blackpool to help out at a homeless centre, a holiday shelter for kids with terminal illnesses and befriending a couple of WWII veterans who knew his grandfather from 41 Commando.

It was fascinating and really moving.

What about last night's?

Mullet-wearing, greasy spoon-eating, wide boy, scrap metal dealer that lost his two sisters to heroin and went to Blackpool to help out at a homeless centre, a holiday shelter for kids with terminal illnesses and befriending a couple of WWII veterans who knew his grandfather from 41 Commando.

It was fascinating and really moving.

yeah enjoyed that... He seemed like a nice bloke and them two old fellas were great. Was waiting to see the 'in memory of' for either of them two at the end, but it was for the poor young lad and the alcoholic.