By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Footy boots - online stores

RP

Anyone any recommendations?

Trying to get my son a new pair of boots - but I absolutely refuse to compromise on my belief that blades are just plain wrong. Causing a bit of friction, as you might inagine - anyone know/use any good sites selling footy boots?

Sorry for sounding like a complete idiot, haven't catched up with the latest in football boots recently. Blades are just studs that are oval or more oblong than your traditional circular studs, roight?

Remember having boots like that before my current ones. Can't see how they'd be more dangerous than regular studs. My only problem was that I didn't feel the same grip on a wet turf.

For the wearer, they restrict movement of the foot (and so all associated joints - knees, hips etc.) on the ground. The elongated shape of the stud stops natural twisting and turning on the turf. Check out the number of high-profile players who have been injured whilst not under any type of challenge from opposition players - a huge number of them were wearing blades at the time.

For the opposition - blades sharpen horribly through natural use. Also when they catch you, the shape of the blade means that tearing of the skin is more likely than the 'old-fashioned' (quick-healing) stud injuries that you used to get when everyone wore studs.

They are a ridiculous development in 'sports footwear technology' and we will eventually be back to studs, either screw-in or moulded. It cannot happen soon enough, IMO. Will be too late for me though, but it is bloody difficult having to go through the same discussion with my son every year - he is a very competent footballer and wants 'the best boots' he can find. Invariably over recent years they have only been available in blades - apart from one friendly sports shop that I know who is part of a buying consortium who get Adidas to custom-make some boots with studs rather than blades. But it's a struggle as they only do one or two models each season - and this season they are not the ones my lad wants.

For the wearer, they restrict movement of the foot (and so all associated joints - knees, hips etc.) on the ground. The elongated shape of the stud stops natural twisting and turning on the turf. Check out the number of high-profile players who have been injured whilst not under any type of challenge from opposition players - a huge number of them were wearing blades at the time.

For the opposition - blades sharpen horribly through natural use. Also when they catch you, the shape of the blade means that tearing of the skin is more likely than the 'old-fashioned' (quick-healing) stud injuries that you used to get when everyone wore studs.

They are a ridiculous development in 'sports footwear technology' and we will eventually be back to studs, either screw-in or moulded. It cannot happen soon enough, IMO. Will be too late for me though, but it is bloody difficult having to go through the same discussion with my son every year - he is a very competent footballer and wants 'the best boots' he can find. Invariably over recent years they have only been available in blades - apart from one friendly sports shop that I know who is part of a buying consortium who get Adidas to custom-make some boots with studs rather than blades. But it's a struggle as they only do one or two models each season - and this season they are not the ones my lad wants.

i don't know who made that call along the way you know, but it must have come from the sports manufacturers rather than people within football. . . .i could be wrong but i think the first boots with blades were craig johnston's first generation predators weren't they? although there was also another new manufacturer around at the time whose name escapes me that made blades only and launched with them as some big USP.

i wore blades once for one match, the ground was pretty softish, i made one sharp turn, the blades dug into the ground like f***ing shovels and over i went, lucky not to turn an ankle. went off immediately and changed back into mouldeds. they're just bad for you, not to mention what they do to opponents, and i don't see how they improve your game. the whole point of the old round moulded or screw-in stud was that it was circular and therefore helped you turn laterally more quickly.

The first predators weren't blades. It was probably about the third generation that they started putting them in.

A good pair of Puma Kings are the only boots anyone ever needs. Or one of those mad european makes they do in those magazines you get with Shoot - Joma, Mizuna, Lotto or something.

This one looks class - they're made from shark skin FFS.

Edited by Paul Caruso