By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Fishing

Dee

Do we have any fishermen/women on the forum?

I went fishing once before, years ago - but I think I'd like to try it again. Preferably for fish you can eat..

It's nearly mackerel season - so we'll go sea-fishing in July, but wondering how it is around Liverpool/Manchester? (rivers/lakes?)

I don't fancy canal fishing at all

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool! how did you manage a fishing rod for xmas if you've never been! still a cool pressie :D

well, if you find out anything be sure to tell me - or if there's somewhere in and around Mancland we'll come and collect you in the van!

cool! how did you manage a fishing rod for xmas if you've never been! still a cool pressie :D

well, if you find out anything be sure to tell me - or if there's somewhere in and around Mancland we'll come and collect you in the van!

It was a great present! I'd been on about it for ages and my girlfriend decided to get me one. There are quite a few places around High Peak where you can go fishing but I'm not sure about sea fishing as I tend to hurl on boats.

It was a great present! I'd been on about it for ages and my girlfriend decided to get me one. There are quite a few places around High Peak where you can go fishing but I'm not sure about sea fishing as I tend to hurl on boats.

what kind of fishing around High Peak tho?

I used to dabble in course fishing but would like to go sea fishing and get something to eat. On Honeymoon I went on a sea fishing trip and caught some Red Snapper. They were delicious. It would be good to see what UK sea waters have to offer.

I used to dabble in course fishing but would like to go sea fishing and get something to eat. On Honeymoon I went on a sea fishing trip and caught some Red Snapper. They were delicious. It would be good to see what UK sea waters have to offer.

You had time to go fishing whilst on honeymoon.

Weirdo :lol:

I used to be a keen coarse fisherman but concentrated solely on catching barbel. You don't get them in the North West, when hooked they go absolutely mental and fight like mad, great sport. Had to pack it in because with work football and golf something had to go, if I ever reach retirement age I fully intend to take it up again.

You can reach Fleetwood in an hour Dee, there's fishing trips go out at weekends and most days in the summer months, my BIL lives there and is a keen sea fisherman, if you want to try it let me know and I'll get him to check out the charter boats.

Edited by Murphman

You can reach Fleetwood in an hour Dee, there's fishing trips go out at weekends and most days in the summer months, my BIL lives there and is a keen sea fisherman, if you want to try it let me know and I'll get him to check out the charter boats.

sounds exactly what we're after - if you could find out about it for us, I'd really appreciate it!

it's free food we're after!

sounds exactly what we're after - if you could find out about it for us, I'd really appreciate it!

it's free food we're after!

Free food? Why don't you go too The Sally army it's nearer than Fleetwood?

I'll make some enquiries for you.

-Edit- Dee, remind me if I forget, I don't talk with him very often and I'll tell the missus to ask him about it.

Edited by Murphman

I used to be a keen coarse fisherman but concentrated solely on catching barbel. You don't get them in the North West, when hooked they go absolutely mental and fight like mad, great sport. Had to pack it in because with work football and golf something had to go, if I ever reach retirement age I fully intend to take it up again.

hunting, shooting and fishing for defenceless animals. murph, you are SUCH a f***ing tory man.

My dad used to have quarter share in a little fishing boat, all sea fishing. Didn't appreciate it when I was a kid even though i was a bit of a good luck charm - whenever I went we would catch loads. I remember one time we went out and found a schoal (sp?) of mackerel, we were just putting six hooks on the line, dipping it in and bringing out 6 fish at a time, just to use for bait though.

Now I'm in aus and by the coast again I fancy giving it another go, I think I can finally appreciate the experience of sitting quietly on a boat with a few beers waiting for a bite.

Dee

If you do go fishing for mackerel make sure you empty your freezer! If you touch for a shoal you'll catch dozens of them. They are oily but lovely fish - easilly filleted on the pier. Watch out for small bones! I dust them in flour and into a hot pan for a minute or so each side - bingo.

Have not fished in a while but you have put the notion in my head.

I love fly fishing. My dad taught me the art of fishing and fly-tieing when I was growing up. There is still very little better than waking up at 4 in the morning and heading into the mountains for the quiet and peacefulness of it all.

hunting, shooting and fishing for defenceless animals. murph, you are SUCH a f***ing tory man.

and there's you living in the land of dog eaters where chicken are caged ten in a row claiming it's more civilised culture than England, you are SUCH a f*cking hipocrite man.

I realise you need different rods for different types of fishing - so for mackerel fishing what type does it need to be?

What sort of bait is needed?

Do you need to be in a boat or will pier fishing be productive?

I realise you need different rods for different types of fishing - so for mackerel fishing what type does it need to be?

What sort of bait is needed?

Do you need to be in a boat or will pier fishing be productive?

IIRC the best way to catch mackerel is to use actual mackerel as bait. You could try using something like sweetcorn or bread, but it might not be very effective. I think they tend to stay quite close to piers and walls etc... so you should be alright going from the pier with a small cast...but i use a private lake, so i'm not too up on it. They're quite firey things as well, give a good struggle...

and there's you living in the land of dog eaters where chicken are caged ten in a row claiming it's more civilised culture than England, you are SUCH a f*cking hipocrite man.

thais don't eat dog you f***ing neocon imperialist philistine. food here is out of this world and the seafood in particular is stunning.

i didn't claim it's more civilised here, just that people are nicer, friendlier, smile more and tend not to get c***ed and glass each other on a friday night.