By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Surfwise. (movie)

SkippyjonJones

http://www.brianorndorf.com/2008/05/film-review-sur.html

Went to see this last night – its not on a big release but we have a small independent theater that picks up and runs with smaller films. Have to say I thought it was a fantastic film, off beat, unusual, detailed and thought provoking. If anyone is into films that challenge the way the think about peoples lives then do not miss this.

It certainly magnified some of the issues that can arise from living away from what is considered the ‘norm’, both positive and negative, and it was especially provocative as I’ve been looking at living outside of the scope of normal society when my contract here ends.

Although surfing isn’t something that I’ll be doing!

I’ve been looking at living outside of the scope of normal society when my contract here ends.

Are you going to marry a donkey and move to a trailer away from the prying eyes of the narrow minded ?

http://www.brianorndorf.com/2008/05/film-review-sur.html

Went to see this last night – its not on a big release but we have a small independent theater that picks up and runs with smaller films. Have to say I thought it was a fantastic film, off beat, unusual, detailed and thought provoking. If anyone is into films that challenge the way the think about peoples lives then do not miss this.

It certainly magnified some of the issues that can arise from living away from what is considered the ‘norm’, both positive and negative, and it was especially provocative as I’ve been looking at living outside of the scope of normal society when my contract here ends.

Have you seen Bra'Boys? Narrated by Russel Crowe about the surf gangs from Maroubra Beach in Sydney.

Are you going to marry a donkey and move to a trailer away from the prying eyes of the narrow minded ?

Depends – what sort of trailer does the donkey have? And has it got internet?

Have you seen Bra'Boys? Narrated by Russel Crowe about the surf gangs from Maroubra Beach in Sydney.

Nope – I’m not actually that interested in the surfing world. It was the living off the grid that appeals to me..

The Donkey is more of an old fashioned type. Doesn't really get computers or gadgets.

The review of that Surfwise movie sounds intriguing. I wonder what happened to the kids in their adult lives ?

You could find out by watching the movie ;)

It does cover what they are all doing now.

The fathers ideas about diet are very interesting, I'm going to see this as soon as i can.

So, SJJ, what thoughts do you have about 'living off the grid', have you decided what you're going to do about it?

Have you told the family yet...? ;)

Not sure how far I can push it – or would want to.. but theres a good chance of my job ending within a couple of years and that might be the perfect time to up sticks and move around North America seeing the continents. Plus a few months in Mexico sounds pretty damn good in winter…Family is for it but I don’t think I’ve convinced the wife to go as far as Argentina yet.. mind you the only argument I’ve offered is steak and a Boca Juniors match.. may have to rethink my approach there.

As far as off the grid – its more about not being tied to a house or job or location and having the freedom to move around at will. Got plans but need to refine them.

Not sure how far I can push it – or would want to.. but theres a good chance of my job ending within a couple of years and that might be the perfect time to up sticks and move around North America seeing the continents. Plus a few months in Mexico sounds pretty damn good in winter…Family is for it but I don’t think I’ve convinced the wife to go as far as Argentina yet.. mind you the only argument I’ve offered is steak and a Boca Juniors match.. may have to rethink my approach there.

As far as off the grid – its more about not being tied to a house or job or location and having the freedom to move around at will. Got plans but need to refine them.

Sounds good mate, I hope it works out.