By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Vinyl

JonShar

I kept my turntable and all my old vinyl albums - even going so far as to have the turntable (a Michel Focus One) properly serviced and the like

A few listens to the vinyl made me appreciate the digital version. So I ended up downloading a bunch of the albums I have on vinyl... couldn't stand the crackles, creaks and the like. Once in a while I think about plugging it in again but then put the iPod on shuffle and the urge goes away :o

Been considering picking up a turntable and starting to buy music on vinyl.

Worth doing or a step backwards?

vinyl is far superior to digital. Plus with an LP - or 12" - you actually feel like you've got something - you can read the sleeve, unlike poxy CDs.

Vinyl requires love, it can get scratched, it can crackle & pop; you can play it at the wriong speed - it has character

Nothing is better than vinyl for listening to music to! It's the ultimate medium, if you have a decent turntable, arm and pickup nothing can beat that combo.

Do you have a turntable or do you need to get one?

An old Thorens or Garrard from the 60's or 70's will beat the crap out of any new one you might come across!

vinyl is far superior to digital.

Much as i like the romantic idea of it its not really better sound wise. I know you get better dynamics etc etc but unless you can afford a really nice turntable and cartridge you will get a better sound out of a relatively cheap CD player.

I still have all my vinyl stuff but never play them and im slowly replacing the LP's with CD.

vinyl rules. a much more tactile format than digital music. makes playing music much more than just an aural experience.

can be bloody expensive to buy the less mainstream second-hand stuff though.

i went through the stage of buying cd's to duplicate my vinyl collection. nowadays it's getting more like the other way round for a lot of my music.

New vinyl sales are on the up, according to a recent article in Rolling Stone, though they're still miniscule. I spend a couple of hours each month trawling through second hand shops, picking up bits and pieces for pennies. Vinyl rules!

I've seen a few articles where 'blind' tests have been done on vinyl v CD and CD v mp3 on comparable systems and more often than not people can't tell the difference. Remastered CDs of albums produced during the vinyl era often reveal more depth to the production that wasn't previously audible and music produced now with digital playback technology in mind often loses sound quality when pressed to vinyl. I like both but don't buy new music on vinyl very often.

The problem with analogue is that the sound quality degrades everytime it's played as there is physical contact between the needle and the groove, thats why you eventually get pops and crackle.

The best sound reproduction I've ever heard was from a turntable, but it cost thousands.

New vinyl sales are on the up, according to a recent article in Rolling Stone, though they're still miniscule. I spend a couple of hours each month trawling through second hand shops, picking up bits and pieces for pennies. Vinyl rules!

lucky f***ing you....belfast is down to basically one half decent second hand place, which hadnt had any new stock in for about a year, was in yesterday and new punters seem to have taken it over and so there was some new stock in but it certainly isnt for pennies...most things are a fiver but anything half decent is at least a tenner...as for charity shops...its rare you find anything good there anymore...it all James Last, Susan McCann, Cullybackey Accordian band or something equally shyte.

Vinyl is still my preferred format though...to me it sounds better and my system is basically keek...and if theres a new album out that I really fancy Ill always try to get it on Vinyl from amazon or something.

so to answer the original question...get a turntable and start buying Vinyl.

Couple of young lads in my office are really into their music and buying loads of vinyl. Most of their musical life has been cd and they are loving this new regeneration of records, and it also seems to have pushed up the price of some of my old record collection....which is nice. I also love the old crackle and pop of vinyl after all, if you looked after yer records decently, it aint that bad.

Tapes are becoming popular again too.

my missus seems to be on a drive to push me back to vinyl - which I have no complaints about - she got me a new turntable for my birthday last year and when it was our anniversary last week she bought me a couple of (brand new) vinyl albums.

I have no particular preference - I like the convenience, ease of storage, portability et.c of CDs but I prefer vinyl in terms of sound, character and as a general package.

I've been gradually accumulating vinyl albums with extravagant sleeves for the sheer madness of them - no particular interest in some of the music contained in them - but things like ELP's Brain Salad Surgery are astounding objects in pure packaging tems even if they are a bit w***y over all.

I've been gradually accumulating vinyl albums with extravagant sleeves for the sheer madness of them - no particular interest in some of the music contained in them - but things like ELP's Brain Salad Surgery are astounding objects in pure packaging tems even if they are a bit w***y over all.

Santana Lotus Live is great for that....been looking out for it for a while

No one in their right mind could argue the case for tapes these days.

tapes are the best format for making compilations, because you listen to them as you make them and it's easier to get a good flow going.

i tend to listen only to compilations in the car, where we have a cd player and there's something cold and clinical about compiling a playlist and trying to rearrange it in your head into the best running order.

apart from that, tapes aren't too user-friendly, the quality's not great and they deteriorate/chew up rather too easily.

Apart from Herbs point, yeah, tapes are dodgey, but Digitalis Industries is one that are releasing tapes again, though they do try and be very avant guard/arty/experimental in the stuff they do anyway.

tapes are the best format for making compilations, because you listen to them as you make them and it's easier to get a good flow going.

i tend to listen only to compilations in the car, where we have a cd player and there's something cold and clinical about compiling a playlist and trying to rearrange it in your head into the best running order.

I agree with you that tapes are definitely the best format for making compilations(smelly finger productions still exists)...but when buzz said tapes were making a comeback i took it to mean Original Tapes which i was never a fan of....as you say one dodgy tape recorder f***s it up....oh the horror of listening to a tape then suddenly blurgh..rrzzz...didge and you open tape recorder and there it is...20 feet of tape left in the machine.