By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

New York in November

Swipe

Going with my girlfriend for 5 days in November (6-11).

Looking forward to it.

Got flights from Dublin to Newark - with a stopover in London town - for £250! Sweet!

Anything happening in the city at that time of year? How cold will it be?

Last time I was there the heat was brutal and we barely left Manhattan (barely left Times Square if truth be told) and i didn't really enjoy it.

We're still looking for hotels at the moment. When my mate and I went last year we stayed at some godawful hole called The Latham so I'll defo be spending a little more for somewhere decent this time!!

Anyone know how easy/hard it'd be to get tickets for a sporting event when we're there? I'd like to experience a ball game but not sure I would appreciate the actual game!

Are NBA tickets hard to come by?

shouldn't be too cold. Nice time to go! You can never tell with weather there. Last 3 winters I've been (either Jan or Feb), there have been silly warm days when it was like late spring. Combined with days when it was so cold.

As for NBA tickets - easy to get, the Knicks are horrible.

Now, I may be biased ;) But I'd try and go to the hockey if I where you, cos atmosphere wise, and team wise - it's far better than the Knicks. But it'd be harder to get tickets, cos Rangers games sell out, and they only put limited seats on general sale due to the huge number of season ticket and ticket plan holders. But it's worth the effort.

Cheers mate. Think I could handle Ice hockey!

As I said, baseball or even American Football would be interesting to sample the atmosphere and even to just see the stadiums, but not sure about the actual games themselves. Not a fan of either really.

We're still looking for hotels at the moment. When my mate and I went last year we stayed at some godawful hole called The Latham so I'll defo be spending a little more for somewhere decent this time!!

Just came back from a week there, we stayed at the Novotel on Times Square, great location, minimum fuss and a good deal on the room - highly recommended.

wrong time for baseball. Season finishes in October. It's great fun though to go to a game gotta be said!

I find american football a bit tedious. Also, the New York teams actually play in New Jersey in a s***ty place called Meadowlands. I'd really need to be a fan of the sport to go see 'em.

Seriously, hockey - lot of fun! and it's well worth going to a game at Madison Square Garden.

As far as hotels are concerned, i never understood why people go to a place like NY and pay for a luxury hotel. Whenever I go i'm in the room just to shower and sleep. There are a load of cracking little hotels that are basic but clean and cheap. whereabouts are you looking to stay? Midtown area i assume? If you're looking for a bit up budget try the Casablanca or the Hampton Inn. Otherwise there's a few cracking, but cramped, hotels such as the Pod Hotel.

Cheers guys

i'll check out those hotels.

i've actually heard a few things about the pod. Good?

I don't mind if i hotel is basic at all. i just want it to be clean and in a good location.

Stayed in the latham last time at it was horrible. Was like something from a horror movie!

That was far more a waste of money than a luxury hotel.

wrong time for baseball. Season finishes in October. It's great fun though to go to a game gotta be said!

I find american football a bit tedious. Also, the New York teams actually play in New Jersey in a s***ty place called Meadowlands. I'd really need to be a fan of the sport to go see 'em.

Seriously, hockey - lot of fun! and it's well worth going to a game at Madison Square Garden.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Garden!

Might check that out mate - cheers.

Cheers guys

i'll check out those hotels.

i've actually heard a few things about the pod. Good?

I don't mind if i hotel is basic at all. i just want it to be clean and in a good location.

Stayed in the latham last time at it was horrible. Was like something from a horror movie!

That was far more a waste of money than a luxury hotel.

Pod is basic and the rooms are very small, but is amazingly cheap and clean. The only other downside of it is you'd probably have to share a bathroom with others on your floor. But there's 4 a floor (shared between about 8-10 rooms) and they're cleaned like 3 times a day. Because of the shared bathroom they really go all out to emphasise the cleanliness. Cleanest hotel i've ever stayed at i would say. Good location as well, 51st st I think it is. A short 5/10 minute walk west and you're at the busiest part of 5th ave. Same distances for empire state/central park etc.. as well.

People on here go to New York on here more than they go to Anfield!

It's true!

I've been to see New York Rangers more often than I have Liverpool in the last year :unsure:

Another decent budget hotel is Herald Square Hotel - great location as well.

Also Americana Inn is very budget - but clean and great location. But like Pod hotel - shared bathrooms (shared between about 3/4 rooms).

Wouldn't be bothered if the pod was small, but bit worried that I keep reading about how noisy it is

Depends where your room is. Get one facing away from the street at the back of the hotel and it's fine.

If you've already been to NY you'll know this, but for people reading who might be going having never been before, leave your hotel for the airport at least 4 hours before, if not 5. On the way back the last time I went I got stuck in a massive jam on 10th ave trying to get into the Holland Tunnel. Spent about 1 1/2 hours stationary.

If you've already been to NY you'll know this, but for people reading who might be going having never been before, leave your hotel for the airport at least 4 hours before, if not 5. On the way back the last time I went I got stuck in a massive jam on 10th ave trying to get into the Holland Tunnel. Spent about 1 1/2 hours stationary.

b******s to that. an hour max is how long it takes to get to JFK. EWR I've done in 12mins. If the Holland Tunnel is easy EWR is almost walkable

b******s to that. an hour max is how long it takes to get to JFK. EWR I've done in 12mins. If the Holland Tunnel is easy EWR is almost walkable

I was sat in a jam not 2 weeks ago on 8th and then again on 10th ave trying to get in the Holland. 2 hours it took me to get from 20th-ish street to EWR and I cut every f***** up as much as possible to get through.

Oddly enough Thanksgiving is not expensive in NY for hotels, nor is the actual week of Christmas.

However any other weekend in Late Nov or December are out of control. We paid I think 550 per night the weekend

we played United last December. 10 11 12 I believe.

At Thankgiving / Christmas the same hotel was 225

Edited by BDB