By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Reducing The Abortion Time Limit

Leo No.8

I see MPs are voting tomorrow on whether to reduce the period women can have an abortion from twenty four weeks to twenty two or even further to twenty weeks.

I really hope they do reduce it. I find the fact that people are currrently able to wait for such an uneccessarily long period, allowing the baby to develop so extensively pretty awful to be honest.

When you see how developed a baby is at 24 weeks, I can't understand how anyone can think differently. I think it should be reduced further to be honest.

I understand the requirement for abortion in exceptional circumstances, but there's no reason people should be allowed to let the child develop so far before making the decision.

Edited by Leo No.8

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My missus' cousin had her 4th child at around 24 weeks, he didn't leave the hospital for 8 months due to the problems with his lungs and heart. He is 10 now and reasonbly OK. However, I would still leave things as they are, its not a decison people enter into lightly and providing they can be offered the necessary support in making the decision and afterwards I think you have to respect the wishes of the parents.

Guest Prongsy

Very touchy subject and probably likely to result in a few arguments but I'm strongly against abortion (with some exceptions) so I'm for any reduction in time.

To be "strongly against abortion" might give the impression that there are people who are "strongly pro-abortion" which would be highly misleading.

There will always be arguments with regards to adoption and so-forth, but no-one can know the inner feelings of a woman going through nine months carrying a child which she does not want or cannot have for one reason or another.

I don't think this is a matter that should be voted on by MPs, but left to the professionals and the mothers in particular.

Edited by Duncan Disorderly

To be "strongly against abortion" might give the impression that there are people who are "strongly pro-abortion" which would be highly misleading.

There will always be arguments with regards to adoption and so-forth, but no-one can know the inner feelings of a woman going through nine months carrying a child which she does not want or cannot have for one reason or another.

I don't think this is a matter that should be voted on by MPs, but left to the professionals and the mothers in particular.

The opposite of anti abortion is pro choice you berk.

Guest Prongsy

Well, I've not said or suggested that so I don't really feel the need to argue against it. There are people that are ambivalent about it and people that think it's ok for a woman to chose to destroy a life or not, just because it happens to be growing inside her.

no-one can know the inner feelings of a woman going through nine months carrying a child which she does not want or cannot have for one reason or another.

To be honest, in most cases (and it's important people read that bit), I don't really care about the 'inner feelings' of the woman, I care much more about the baby and the resulting (or not...) person and their right to life.

The mother in particular already has the right not to have a baby, condoms, the pill and just plain old not partaking in sexual reproduction.

That doesn't apply in every case, of course. So no real point throwing rape or other reasons at me.

I think they should reduce it. When me an Hayley had to have ours aborted at 26 weeks there were exceptions to the laws that covered the baby's condition. I think as long as this is still the case I can't see the need to abort a baby after 16 weeks or to delay an abortion decision over a period that long.

Speaking from personal experience its not a decision that any woman makes lightly. There are too many kids in this world born to women ill equiped to give them the best start in life.

I agree with that 100%

Only 2% of abortion are carried out after 20 weeks so we're not exactly talking about a tide of pregnant teenagers aborting their children late in the pregnancy without a care in the world. I'm sure an abortion at that late a date is only carried out as a last resort. And Mike is right that this bill is seen as just the beginning for a number of MPs - their ultimate aim being the end to abortion.

I dunno, I always feel uneasy reading these arguments on internet forums, where a predominantly male audience (Montse excluded) talk as if somehow they know exactly what the mother would be going through in such a situation. How the hell would a young lad in his mid 20s have a fecking clue about that (generally speaking)?

Guest Prongsy
Speaking from personal experience its not a decision that any woman makes lightly.

I think some woman make it incredibly lightly, considering what they are ending.

There are too many kids in this world born to women ill equiped to give them the best start in life.

Yep, I was probably one of them. I'm glad I wasn't killed before I had a chance to live a life though.

Prongsey I totally understand your feelings and I agree that it is a decision that can be made very lightly but it is also a decision that you have to live with for the rest of your life.

As it is such an emotive subject women have little or no support or the ability to talk about it without other people voicing their own opinions.

Guest Prongsy
Well, that's made me change my mind on the abortion issue.

I really have no interest in changing your mind about the abortion issue. I was answering your question.

Guest Prongsy
Prongsey I totally understand your feelings and I agree that it is a decision that can be made very lightly but it is also a decision that you have to live with for the rest of your life.

And I honestly feel for woman that have done it and do have to live with it, I just don't agree (in most, not all) cases with it being done.

At the end of the day, I care most about the life that will (more than likely) be born if the abortion doesn't go ahead.

As it is such an emotive subject women have little or no support or the ability to talk about it without other people voicing their own opinions.

Surely there are people in the NHS for that sort of thing?

And I honestly feel for woman that have done it and do have to live with it, I just don't agree (in most, not all) cases with it being done.

At the end of the day, I care most about the life that will (more than likely) be born if the abortion doesn't go ahead.

Surely there are people in the NHS for that sort of thing?

You're the one with all the experience, don't you know?

Guest Prongsy
You're the one with all the experience, don't you know?

'all the experience' - time to grow up, isn't it. The answer is actually yes, I do know the answer and yes they do. I was just trying not to shove it down her throat.

I simply answered a question, I know from experience that some people take it lightly.