By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Steve Claridge

R A Softlad

Steve Claridge guilty of M-way charge

Former Premiership footballer Steve Claridge has been found guilty of dangerous driving.

Coventry Crown Court heard he undertook cars at about 100mph in "treacherous" conditions on the M42 near Solihull, West Midlands, on 30 December 2006.

Claridge, 42, who played for Fareham Town, Bournemouth, Weymouth, Crystal Palace, Aldershot, Cambridge United, Luton Town, Birmingham City, Leicester City, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Portsmouth, Millwall, Weymouth, Brighton and Hove Albion Brentford, Wycombe Wanderers, Gillingham, Bradford City, Walsall (loan), Worthing and Harrow Borough, denied the charge, said he reached just above 70mph as he tried to exit the M42 to find a toilet.

Ah but what could have been...

Steve Claridge cleared of M-way charge

Former Premiership footballer Steve Claridge has been found not guilty of dangerous driving.

Coventry Crown Court heard he undertook cars at about 100mph in "treacherous" conditions on the M42 near Solihull, West Midlands, on 30 December 2006. Police testimony was thrown out when it was discovered the officer concerned was a Manchester City fan.

Claridge, 42, who played for Fareham Town, Bournemouth, Weymouth, Crystal Palace, Aldershot, Cambridge United, Luton Town, Birmingham City, Leicester City, Manchester United,Wolverhampton Wanderers, Portsmouth, Millwall, Weymouth, Brighton and Hove Albion Brentford, Wycombe Wanderers, Gillingham, Bradford City, Walsall (loan), Worthing and Harrow Borough, denied the charge, said he reached just above 70mph as he tried to exit the M42 to find a toilet.

Any driving ban would have severely affected Claridge's charity work but having had his case cleared Claridge declared, 'I was relieved to find a bog then and I am relieved that the court saw my side of things now."

You know it makes sense. ;)