By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Our signings under G&H have been pretty good so far

Guest Anders Honoré

Guest Anders Honoré

For all the talk about net spend, money-grabbing mismanaging barstewards, we did manage to sign Torres, Babel, Lucas and yossi (and leto and voronin....) last summer and followed up with signing Mascherano and Skretl in january, none of them on the cheap. Definitely a step up.

If we can manage a similar spend this year (I am assuming we will have a similar income from sales, possibly better) I will frankly be delighted.

I'll be honest and say I haven't paid much attention to the G&H saga of late - Is there are reason to assume they will change their policy this transfer window compared to the past two? Those who were adamant we'd be signing a a freebie if lucky in january need not reply.

Edited by Anders Honoré

Guest Anders Honoré

I thought we had taken out new loans already for additional signings during the re-financing?

Not interested in whether it's wrong or not the way it's financed (for the purpose of this thread) - just curious as to how much we can actually expect.

Did we not take out close to £30M in credit notes to pay for Torres and Babel?

I'd rather not buy anyone than go down that route. It's very "Leeds United".

I take it you won't be comparing our spending to the Mancs this summer then? Can't have it both ways.

I can sort of agree with paying for going concerns like transfers with bank loans, that alone isnt a bad thing if you could trust that the owners weren't going to pay for everything this way which we cannot. Personally i dont think taking out £80 million in loans to help pay for players is a problem because that level of debt is very manageable and we also have players we could sell to help pay those loans but we all know thats the tip of the iceberg, Hicks in particular wants to pay for everything (including his part of buying the club) this way and that places far too much debt on the club.

Guest Rafa's Receding Hairline

Idiocy reigns...

The Torres, Babel and Mascherano transfers were funded to some extent by player sales. Remember we received money from Bellamy, Cisse, Garcia, Pongolle and others last season alone.

So G+H did NOT make us spend more money than before. Our net spend is comparable to other seasons.

And we did improve our team, but I wonder whether we would've gotten 13 draws with Luis Garcia still around instead of having to offer him to Atletico to regain some money?

It really does show that you haven't paid attention to the ownership saga because it's crippled the club and you're ignorant to the facts.

Idiocy reigns...

The Torres, Babel and Mascherano transfers were funded to some extent by player sales. Remember we received money from Bellamy, Cisse, Garcia, Pongolle and others last season alone.

So G+H did NOT make us spend more money than before. Our net spend is comparable to other seasons.

And we did improve our team, but I wonder whether we would've gotten 13 draws with Luis Garcia still around instead of having to offer him to Atletico to regain some money?

It really does show that you haven't paid attention to the ownership saga because it's crippled the club and you're ignorant to the facts.

You're a ray of sunshine aren't you :rolleyes:

Idiocy reigns...

you're ignorant to the facts.

Luis wanted to leave

Idiocy reigns...

Take another one after lunch and repeat until you feel better......

Guest Anders Honoré
Idiocy reigns...

I noted in the first post I assumed we would stand to make about the same from player sales, at no point did I comment on whether it was better or worse than the previous reign nor am I interested in it in this regard. luis wanted to go.

I just said it's been pretty good and that transferwise I'd be happy for a repeat of those funds.

All you've commented on is your own assumptions. congratulations.

Edited by Anders Honoré

We didn't have to offer him, he asked if he could return to Spain :rolleyes:

Do you want to see us take out yet another loan to buy players?

It's a dangerous game to play.

Not disagreeing. But the Mancs are losing some large amount of money every year and still spending big. They are effectively taking loans to buy players. So if people don't want us to go down that route, then we can't really say "The Mancs won the title and they spent X,Y,Z on Lahm, Huntelaar, and Bosingwa".

Did we not take out close to £30M in credit notes to pay for Torres and Babel?

I'd rather not buy anyone than go down that route. It's very "Leeds United".

We did. And subsequently refinanced those loans with Hicks' £350M package a few months back. Yet the times reported a few weeks ago tha tthe credit notes were still outstanding. So we may have borrowed the money twice.

And as someone said, we did bring in money from sales - where it went is another question, because it didn't get used to pay for Torres & Babel.

Guest Ant

We bought our players on debt, and selling other players.

Our Net spent would have been similar to that under Moores.