By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

NFL Draft 2008

Leo No.8

The first two round of The Draft take place tonight for the NFL, and it usually makes for interesting watching for anyone who is into American Football. Has anyone else been keeping their eye on the big college prospects, and if so who do you hope your team will draft with their first couple of picks?

I think the Bears will probably go for an offensive lineman like Jeff Otah first up, but I'd love to see them go for an exciting running back like Rashard Mendenhall to push the ineffective Benson out personally. Then see who they can get for the offensive line which also needs upgrading in the second or third rounds.

McFadden looks like the best player in the draft as a whole and people are saying he could make a similar name for himself as Adrian Petersen has in his first season but you can never be sure how they will make the step up. The quarterback pool looks a bit patchy, with Matt Ryan generally acknowledged as being the best availalble.

The first two round of The Draft take place tonight for the NFL, and it usually makes for interesting watching for anyone who is into American Football. Has anyone else been keeping their eye on the big college prospects, and if so who do you hope your team will draft with their first couple of picks?

I think the Bears will probably go for an offensive lineman like Jeff Otah first up, but I'd love to see them go for an exciting running back like Rashard Mendenhall to push the ineffective Benson out personally. Then see who they can get for the offensive line which also needs upgrading in the second or third rounds.

McFadden looks like the best player in the draft as a whole and people are saying he could make a similar name for himself as Adrian Petersen has in his first season but you can never be sure how they will make the step up. The quarterback pool looks a bit patchy, with Matt Ryan generally acknowledged as being the best availalble.

The Pats need linebackers, whether that be someone off the edge with Vrabel or Thomas moving inside, or someone playing inside and allowing the aforementioned pair to stay outside. Personally, my first choice is obviously Gholston, he's an utter beast in the mould of Merriman and Ware, and him being there gives us plenty of versatility with what we want to do. If he's gone though, then I'm all for trading down and grabbing someone like Branden Albert (we could plug him straight in at RG or even RT) or Jerod Mayo to play inside as I mentioned earlier. I'd like Antoine Cason in the second too.

I think your Bears would be better off going the OT route, although by taking Mendenhall you do two things - upgrade your run game, and at the same time stop him going to the Lions who will grab him.

As for the over-view, I agree about Run DMC being the best player in the draft, but there are questions over him - he's fumbled the ball more times than anyone in the last 2 years, he's not a hard runner (he goes limp at the first sign of contact) and he has character issues. Personally I think that mendenhall is the best pro-prospect, and maybe even Jonathan Stewart too, however after seeing how Peterson tore it up last year, then most teams are in love with him. If he drops passed the Raiders and the Jets, there will be a huge scramble for his signature. Which could benefit the Pats.

I think the QB class is actually pretty decent, maybe the best for a couple of years (although that's not saying much), although for me, Brian Brohm is the guy I'd be looking to draft if I was after a QB. Again though, if Ryan drops passed the Falcons (which I'm certain he will) and the Jets, then again, you might see 3/4 teams looking to trade up to #7 and pick him before the Ravens do.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see someone try and make a move up in order to get Mcfadden. I could see him possibly dropping, Oakland might take Gholston, and with Kansas going after Matt Ryan, there is someone there to swap with. Mind you it sounds like the Pats are trading up with Kansas their attempt to get Gholston and screw the Jets whilst there at it :D

Edited by Nick17

Anyone can take me on ... just pay me two million quid for the season....... i Might have a massive injury problem before they get to see me play.. once ive signed this imaginary contract and then retire from the game............ We can all have a dream!

I'm with work in San francisco at the moment and when getting some grub in a bar with a colleague the drafts were on. Now I have a very limited knowledge of American Football and my colleague knows a littler bit more but not a lot.

When the 3 draft quarter backs came up (ESPN - one's to watch or something like that) they were all white which got me asking the question why are nearly all the quarter backs white? As far as I can see most of them appear to be anyway at the higher end of the game.

Anyone can take me on ... just pay me two million quid for the season....... i Might have a massive injury problem before they get to see me play.. once ive signed this imaginary contract and then retire from the game............ We can all have a dream!

Happened to a friend of mine - signed on for a fortune with the 49ers, got badly injured, never played again, now he's a gentleman of lesiure.

I'm with work in San francisco at the moment and when getting some grub in a bar with a colleague the drafts were on. Now I have a very limited knowledge of American Football and my colleague knows a littler bit more but not a lot.

When the 3 draft quarter backs came up (ESPN - one's to watch or something like that) they were all white which got me asking the question why are nearly all the quarter backs white? As far as I can see most of them appear to be anyway at the higher end of the game.

There are more and more black quarterbacks coming through though. Think it's been a case of subtle racism to be honest, as in black players = athletic = running backs/defensive ends (at least that's how your question was explained to me!).

However, there's McNabb at Philly, Campbell at Washington, there was Vick at Atlanta (until he got sent down), Leftwich, Garrard. A few more in the draft last night I think too.

There are more and more black quarterbacks coming through though. Think it's been a case of subtle racism to be honest, as in black players = athletic = running backs/defensive ends (at least that's how your question was explained to me!).

However, there's McNabb at Philly, Campbell at Washington, there was Vick at Atlanta (until he got sent down), Leftwich, Garrard. A few more in the draft last night I think too.

Ok so that is good - as I said I don't know too much about American Football. Interestingly what you say in the first part of your answer is how my colleaguae answered the question i.e. blacks tends to be more athletic etc. ......i don't believe he meant it in a racist way so I kept my mouth shut.

Your friend is right. A quarterback is there to throw the ball first and foremost, and the black QB's tend to be run first, throw second. That's fine in college where offenses are more gimmicky and optional, but at pro level, then it's a problem.

Some of the ones DarkBailo mentioned are actually more, erm, 'white'-like QB's than your typical black QB. McNabb is the best of the lot, although he has been known to take off if needed, Campbell looks a fine QB in the making, and Garrard is the 'whitest' of the lot. However Vick was more interested in the rushing title than helping the Falcs win, and you have Vince Young who has struggled to make the throws that an NFL calibre QB should make. You have to think a lot of that is down to the lack of true quality WR's he has to throw to at Tennessee.

Fact is though, the proto-typical NFL QB is still a 6'4" - 6'6" guy, with a laser-guided cannon for an arm and with a bit of mobility. And those tend to be white guys at the minute.

Edited by Ste M

They can do, but 99.9% don't care.

If a player doesn't want to play for a team that badly, they can refuse to sign with a team and sit out the year and then enter the draft the year after. It's happened a few times, but not many.