Harry Hodges R.I.P

AnfieldCop

:rip: You'll Never Walk Alone

From Liverpool Echo:

Carragher in tribute to Reds scout HarryAug 11 2006

Liverpool Echo

THE LIVERPOOL scout who discovered Jamie Carragher has died.

Harry Hodges retired from talent spotting in the Bootle area after three decades of service for the Reds in 2004. He passed away this week, aged 80.

The day he recommended a 12-year-old playing as a striker for St James' Primary School proved one of the most significant events in modern Anfield history.

And Carragher, who visited Harry's family to pass on his personal condolences yesterday, today paid tribute to the man who led him to stardom.

"If it wasn't for Harry, who knows what I'd be doing now," said the Reds' defender.

"I'll always be grateful for his help in taking me to Liverpool. I'll never forget what Harry did for me, and I'd like to express my sympathy to his family."

Harry's valuable contribution was recognised by the Reds last season.

The scout was immensely proud of the manner in which his recruit emerged as a Liverpool hero. Speaking to the

ECHO before the European Cup Final in 2005, he said: "As a scout, you sometimes get close to finding a top class player, but for one reason or another, they don't make it. I call that 'hitting the bar'. In Jamie's case, I feel I put one in the top corner."