By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Boxed sets

charlie clown

am planning to buy a couple - what should I be going for?

was thinking of going for the XTC 'Coat of many cupboards' one if I can track it down, but what else is good?

I already have Beach Boys, Bunnymen and Byrds (I should move on to a different letter) and the Fall Peel sessions.

Edited by charlie clown

correct. next. :lol:

yeah, was looking at that last week - just wasn't sure what the quality of the extras and live stuff was going to be.

The ive CD is good, but don't listen to it often. Only had Unknown Pleasures, Closer and Still on vinyl before I bought it, so it was an efficient way of getting everything on CD as much as anything.

CSN(&Y) boxset is excellent. great versions of their better known stuff and well chosen album tracks. plenty of material from offshoots like crosby&nash, manassas etc.

sounds interesting. ain't got much of their stuff - just two Stills albums, a Crosby solo and one CSNY album. Might be worth investing in.

The ive CD is good, but don't listen to it often. Only had Unknown Pleasures, Closer and Still on vinyl before I bought it, so it was an efficient way of getting everything on CD as much as anything.

yes, that's the only trouble with this one - I've got Unknown Pleasures and Closer on CD and Still on vinyl so I'd be paying a lot of money for more or less just the bonus tracks and live disc which I'm not likely to listen to a great deal.

sounds interesting. ain't got much of their stuff - just two Stills albums, a Crosby solo and one CSNY album. Might be worth investing in.

manassas is a double album featuring stills, chris hillman, dallas taylor & others. it's pretty much a journey through nearly every style of traditional american music (with a 'rock' bent). it's my second favourite double album ever ('spirit of 76' pipping it). i've a feeling you'd really enjoy it too, chas.

manassas is a double album featuring stills, chris hillman, dallas taylor & others. it's pretty much a journey through nearly every style of traditional american music (with a 'rock' bent). it's my second favourite double album ever ('spirit of 76' pipping it). i've a feeling you'd really enjoy it too, chas.

bought it a couple of years back on your recommendation Herb. Its one of the two Stills albums I've got.

Out of the sparse selection available (its probably not the right time of year) I got the Jam boxed set and then half a dozen other albums:

Architecture in Helsinki - In Case We Die

Gang Of Four - Entertainment

Dylan - No Direction Home

Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein

Euros Childs - Chops

Toys - s/t

bought it a couple of years back on your recommendation Herb. Its one of the two Stills albums I've got.

Out of the sparse selection available (its probably not the right time of year) I got the Jam boxed set and then half a dozen other albums:

Architecture in Helsinki - In Case We Die

Gang Of Four - Entertainment

Dylan - No Direction Home

Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein

Euros Childs - Chops

Toys - s/t

The Cannibal Ox LP is f*ckin' immense. Better than any box set.

Some randowm suggestions:

Aretha Franklin, Queen of Soul: The Atlantic Recordings - Pretty much the perfect compilation of her greatest period

Al Green, Anthology - there are probably better Al Green box sets but this one comes in a white leatherette cover!

The Velvet Underground, Peel Slowly and See - worth it for the first CD alone which is a collection of early demos

The Velvet Underground, Bootleg Series, Vol. 1: The Quine Tapes - Maybe two two many versions of Sister Ray but still great stuff

Various, Th Real Music Box - a 9 CD Rounder records restrospective. Really well worth getting.

Various, The Speciality Years - box set dedicated to truly great R&B label

Various, Stax Story - 4 CD introduction to Sax. For me, the greatest of all soul labels

even though i f***ing love em the buffalo springfield one has all the three studio album songs on it (sometimes twice)...but the out-takes and demos are worth definitely worth having....just to hear the very youthful young and stills efforts...id say dont buy...get someone you know to burn a couple of cds worth of this material......... :unsure:

but if you dont have any of their stuff.......Five men walk into a bar - The Faces.......f***ing great

Edited by Ostrich Man

that's the trouble with most of them - they either deal in crap that you probably wouldn't want to own (e.g. The Cure or The Banshees which are both full of nothing but B-sides, remixes and studio doodles or they are made up of stuff that most serious fans will have most of anyway (Franklin, Bowie, V.U., Al Green).

I would have loved to get the Nugets stuff, XTC and maybe one of the label boxes (Stax or Motown mebbe) but most of em are just impossible to track down in store this time of year.

The Jam was the best of a mediocre bunch really but I am happy with it. A lot of stuff on it that I didn't already have which makes it one of the few mainstream ones worth my while buying.

so thats a no to the Buffalo springfield stuff then :lol:

not particularly, but with limited funds and choice there was not a lot to go on. I had one of these HMV cards given me with quite a bit of money on it, I went round four or five branches of HMV on Saturday and they all had just the same rubbish selection.