By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Sami beats Raikkonen

Koogan

The myth regarding Sami's pace can be put to rest. He beat Formula 1 driver Kimi Raikkonen for fourth place in the annual Finnish Sportsman of the Year awards. Kimi was fifth.

The truth, however, is that Sami can't jump or dribble as he was beaten by a ski-jumper, downhill-skier and long-jumper...

Edited by Koogan

Are those three more popular sports than soccer up there, as a matter of interest? I would have thought so, now that I think of it.

1124474[/snapback]

I think the big three are ice-hockey, track & field and cross-country skiing (I suppose ski-jumping could be included here). Bubbling under are alpine skiing and auto racing. Football isn't doing too well at the moment with match-fixing allegations. Football also has a fierce rival in local baseball (which is the number one sports in the more rural areas I'm told).

Jari Litmanen won the award in 1995 and Sami also did in 2001. This time the ECL win wasn't enough :hmm:

Edited by Koogan

Jari Litmanen won the award in 1995 and Sami also did in 2001.

1124513[/snapback]

Pearls in the desert, eh? Is there an urban/rural thing to it? Like, is there footbally areas in and around Helsinki (prays to God that Helsinki is in Finland ;))?

Pearls in the desert, eh? Is there an urban/rural thing to it? Like, is there footbally areas in and around Helsinki (prays to God that Helsinki is in Finland ;))?

1124554[/snapback]

It seems that way, the baseball thingie is apparently a smalltown sport (and small towns are SMALL in Finland).

Are those three more popular sports than soccer up there, as a matter of interest? I would have thought so, now that I think of it.

1124474[/snapback]

Even basketball is bigger than football in Finland, but Sami is a national treasure and there are lots of kids walking round with LFC tops and HYYPIA on the back.

Even basketball is bigger than football in Finland, but Sami is a national treasure and there are lots of kids walking round with LFC tops and HYYPIA on the back.

1125450[/snapback]

b******s.

Football is by far the most popular team sport in Finland when you count the people who actually practise the sport.

As a spectator sport, however, it's lacking behind ice-hockey and other winter sports + maybe Track & Field.

Back to the point... I'd say Sami would have deserved the accolade, but who cares really. I know I don't and I'm pretty sure Sami isn't losing any sleep over it either.