Sign in to follow this  
adiman

Guitar for beginners

Next to all those crusty tissues and a pick of Big Dunk I bet.

Mike and I have had this discussion in the past - I'd agree with him and start acoustic or semi-acoustic (slightly tougher on the fingers initially).

Guest efcrmagic
Next to all those crusty tissues and a pick of Big Dunk I bet.

Mike and I have had this discussion in the past - I'd agree with him and start acoustic or semi-acoustic (slightly tougher on the fingers initially).

1112469[/snapback]

What or who is "Big Dunk"?

:D

Start strengthening up that index finger (left hand) for the barre chords! Although learn the nice easy ones first.

1111929[/snapback]

don't play the guitar myself but some(think Billy Corgan does), play the guitar left handed despite being right hand so that the stronger hand does the fretwork.

I've just bought myself an electric guitar and intend teaching myself the basics. Any experienced axemen got any tips?

1111872[/snapback]

Get a good teacher. The time you'll save is immense!

don't play the guitar myself but some(think Billy Corgan does), play the guitar left handed despite being right hand so that the stronger hand does the fretwork.

1112508[/snapback]

I don't think anyone in his or her right mind does that, Billy Corgan certainly doesn't.

Guest Budo
I've just bought myself an electric guitar and intend teaching myself the basics. Any experienced axemen got any tips?

1111872[/snapback]

Learn all the notes and chords and get a feel for the instrument. If you have any musical talent it will be pretty evident from the off. Start composing your own stuff as soon as you can put a few chords together (as all the greats did), otherwise you'll just become one of these knobs that can play an Oasis song all the way through.

If you haven't got any musical talent, enjoy learning to play other peoples songs from those TAB books... But keep the volume down eh.

1111872[/snapback]

Make sure your instrument is properly set-up and keep it always in tune. Try to develop your ear as well to know when it is out of tune.

It is essential to have a good instrument to start with. I made the mistake of starting on a crappy acoustic and lost interest for far too many years. When I finally got a proper instrument my chops developed surprisingly quick, because it was a joy. I also found it inspiring if the guitar looked good, don't ask anyone else's opinion about that!

Nowadays you can get amazing virtual amps (Pods and Vamps) and effects very cheap and you don't necessarily need to have an amp at all.

As for the actual playing, learn how to bend the strings and develop that wrist action.

I don't think anyone in his or her right mind does that, Billy Corgan certainly doesn't.

1112821[/snapback]

You saying Corgan is in his right mind? :P

Might not have been BC but ive definately heared of it been done.

If you haven't got any musical talent, enjoy learning to play other peoples songs from those TAB books... But keep the volume down eh.

1112824[/snapback]

:lol: You f***ing snob! :D

I know plenty of left handed people learn to play right handed because it's less hassle picking up a guitar anywhere and playing it, and that it's easier to find nice right handed guitars instead of lefties. Some play right handed guitars turned around so the strings are upside down.

Right handed people playing left handed might have been done but only by silly people :P You don't need that extra strength the right hand has, the left hand will get it quickly enough.

I know plenty of left handed people learn to play right handed because it's less hassle picking up a guitar anywhere and playing it, and that it's easier to find nice right handed guitars instead of lefties. Some play right handed guitars turned around so the strings are upside down.

Right handed people playing left handed might have been done but only by silly people :P You don't need that extra strength the right hand has, the left hand will get it quickly enough.

1113009[/snapback]

like i said i don't play the guitar so have no clue. :D Ibow down to your superior knowledge ;)