By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Union v League

Ombudsam

What's better Rugby Union or the other one  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What's better Rugby Union or the other one

• Union
    • League

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't care how much fitter the League players are Rugby Union is the far more entertaining sport. Why on earth do you have to turn the ball over after six tackles? The other team should be good enough to win it back. And why are there no rucks and mauls and competitive scrums are they scared of being hurt?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh*

A fine attempt at provocation Sammyay.

Nothing will get past the fact that Union is a game for over-privileged ra-ras with no chins.

In England, certainly.

1111501[/snapback]

I played it at school and for a while it was my favourite participation sport and i've got a fine chin. I was having this argument with a friend and he's wrong too. You're from warrington? I supppose you were brought up on league and some faux connection between it and hard work, probably stemming from the fact that north of Watford people were too poor to have a job and a hobby so they had to combine both.

Edited by sammya

always used to prefer Union at International level and League at club level

1111537[/snapback]

Me too, coz there is no international league worth speaking of.

Union improved a sh*tload after it went professional and started taking cues from league. Co-incidence that the England team that won the world cup had Lydon and Larder on the coaching staff? No.

Me too, coz there is no international league worth speaking of.

Union improved a sh*tload after it went professional and started taking cues from league.  Co-incidence that the England team that won the world cup had Lydon and Larder on the coaching staff?  No.

1111548[/snapback]

No co-incidence at all as Woodward took half the english speaking world along in some capacity or another.

No co-incidence at all as Woodward took half the english speaking world along in some capacity or another.

1111550[/snapback]

England used to be fine in the pack and f*cking awful in the backs. Couldn't work an overlap to save themselves and couldn't tackle. Improved defence and back play made them the best team in the world and that was Phil Larder at work. Having Billy Whizz didn't hurt either...

I immediately associate Rugby with the Union international game as I grew up on the 91-5 Guscott, Carling, Underwoods era. Apart from Rugby special on a sunday which came on for one hour on a sunday rugby as domestic game never really struck me as a concept although i knew I liked Bath and then I liked Leicester but in League I liked Wigan and had masses of respect for Offiah ;)

England used to be fine in the pack and f*cking awful in the backs.  Couldn't work an overlap to save themselves and couldn't tackle.  Improved defence and back play made them the best team in the world and that was Phil Larder at work.  Having Billy Whizz didn't hurt either...

1111558[/snapback]

I'm not saying they didn't have a huge impact, they certainly did with a much imrpoved drift defence and decent tackling technique.

Still a sh*t attacking back line unit, especially with the players available.

I immediately associate Rugby with the Union international game as I grew up on the 91-5 Guscott, Carling, Underwoods era. Apart from Rugby special on a sunday which came on for one hour on a sunday rugby as domestic game never really struck me as a concept although i knew I liked Bath and then I liked Leicester but in League I liked Wigan and had masses of respect for Offiah ;)

1111568[/snapback]

Offiah was a sprinter, not a rugby player. That said I remember him fondly for his 95yd try against Leeds in the Challenge Cup Final leaving Alan Tait on his fat a*** and Francis Cummings in his wake....

Also the ten try performance against Leeds in the premiership trophy at Central Park. Only downside of that game was that the f*ckers scored in the last seconds to spoil a perfect whitewash.

Offiah was blessed with great backs at Widnes and, especially, Wigan. Playing outside of Gene Miles, Shaun Edwards and Andy Gregory and behind forwards like Platt, Skerrett, Dermott, Lucas and Betts made his life easy. Jason Robinson made his own space.

A strange thing to be critical of league for possession changing hands after six tackles when the majority of union is spent kicking the ball either out of play or to the opposition.

The desire of forwards - especially in England - to make union an almost stationary game stifles any entertainment value. Until the scrum is used as nothing more than a restart mechanism to force the ball into open play, drop goals are reduced to one point and lifting at line outs abolished the game will remain nothing more than kick and clap.

The ball handling skills at league are far greater but the overall improvement of defences have meant a great deal of repetition in moves and a lack of creativity. The international game is almost non-existant and would improve by an international end of season club championship rather than the Tri-Nations.

I'm not saying they didn't have a huge impact, they certainly did with a much imrpoved drift defence and decent tackling technique.

Still a sh*t attacking back line unit, especially with the players available.

1111571[/snapback]

Yeah they are, because they were playing union all their lives. I played league and union as a kid at wing. Rugby league games I was always involved with the ball in hand, union I just watched the thing sail over my head. Almost no work with the backs, almost no practice with the ball in hand. It'll take a generation to knock that out of the English game.

A strange thing to be critical of league for possession changing hands after six tackles when the majority of union is spent kicking the ball either out of play or to the opposition.

The desire of forwards - especially in England - to make union an almost stationary game stifles any entertainment value. Until the scrum is used as nothing more than a restart mechanism to force the ball into open play, drop goals are reduced to one point and lifting at line outs abolished the game will remain nothing more than kick and clap.

The ball handling skills at league are far greater but the overall improvement of defences have meant a great deal of repetition in moves and a lack of creativity. The international game is almost non-existant and would improve by an international end of season club championship rather than the Tri-Nations.

1111580[/snapback]

I suggest you watch New Zealand, SA and France if you want to see non-stationary forward play. Until the rolling maul is banned, union will still allow boring teams like England to do well.

I've played union to a fairly competitive level,collegiate rugby in the states,and will be playing league for the first time this summer.

I'm a big league fan,despite living down south.It's faster,the players are fitter,and the skill level is up there if not better.

Rugby league is PURE rugby without the interruptions of kicking the ball out of play,scrums,constant penalties etc.

However,I do love watching England rugby games,and will watch union whenever it's on,like most sports.

It's fun to play too,after this summer I'll be able to compare the two.

Ball handling better in league?

1111598[/snapback]

Perhaps,with the use of constant offloading to try and retain possession,although it is hard to argue.I think that ball handling is crucial in both games,so it's hard to say which one is better,if at all.

Kicking is miles better in union though,that is clear.

1111601[/snapback]

I don't think that's necessarily true either. Kicking for position in union is a sh*tload more common that in league, but I see no evidence that the quality is better. Attacking kicking - grubbers, bombs, crossfield kicks - is certainly better in league. breaking down defences is just more difficult in league so attack is more inventive because it needs to be. If a Union team were with a few yards of the goal line they're much more likely to start a rolling bore than try a chip ahead.

Perhaps,with the use of constant offloading to try and retain possession,although it is hard to argue.I think that ball handling is crucial in both games,so it's hard to say which one is better,if at all.

1111601[/snapback]

Andrew Johns aside I've never seen a league player show deftness of hands and vision with the ball in the way that any Union back should be able too. I was looking forward to seeing Farrell play for a comparison but the big tart is permanantly injured. henry Paul has certainly been a let down for one of league's skillful players with the ball in hand.

I don't think that's necessarily true either.  Kicking for position in union is a sh*tload more common that in league, but I see no evidence that the quality is better.  Attacking kicking - grubbers, bombs, crossfield kicks - is certainly better in league.  breaking down defences is just more difficult in league so attack is more inventive because it needs to be.  If a Union team were with a few yards of the goal line they're much more likely to start a rolling bore than try a chip ahead.

1111605[/snapback]

Sorry,I mean place kicking.

Andrew Johns aside I've never seen a league player show deftness of hands and vision with the ball in the way that any Union back should be able too.  I was looking forward to seeing Farrell play for a comparison but the big tart is permanantly injured.  henry Paul has certainly been a let down for one of league's skillful players with the ball in hand.

1111606[/snapback]

Eh? I'm guessing then that you've watched almost no league.