By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Scottish independence

RP

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't all members of the union vote on the subject of one party leaving?

Does Alex Salmond really know what independence would mean for Scotland?

Very good point with your first one.

With the second one, apart from Salmond not knowing his ar$e from his elbow, what would independence mean for Scotland. Or Norn Iron for that matter?

I'm missing the point about it being a union of two nations

Was thinking of the Acts of Union.

Even so, if you regard it as a union of more than 2 I still think you have to regard the nations as individual entities consensually forming a union and each having the righ to withdraw that consent.

Edit: half eleven on Saturday night, Jesus wept!

Edited by NeilJ

Yeah, it's quite sad really, isn't it. Funny though.

I can see the point about only one of the nations withdrawing their consent to a 2-300 year-old union, but how come the Good Friday Agreement was put to a referendum to the whole island of Ireland.

Even so, if you regard it as a union of more than 2 I still think you have to regard the nations as individual entities consensually forming a union and each having the righ to withdraw that consent.

Does that logic extend to what might happen should they wish to rejoin in that it should be at the discretion of the other members, i.e. English, Welsh and Norn Irish would vote on whether to let them back in?

p.s. Wtf has my life come to? Half eleven on a Saturday night, discussing a largely irrelevant province on a footy Internet forum :lol:

Yeah, it's quite sad really, isn't it. Funny though.

I can see the point about only one of the nations withdrawing their consent to a 2-300 year-old union, but how come the Good Friday Agreement was put to a referendum to the whole island of Ireland.

Because that's a bit of a basket case of a problem and unlike the partition of Ireland there isn't any real suggestion that English-Scottish union was imposed on the English, I think

Shouldn't all members of the union vote on the subject of one party leaving?

No, just the country who is proposing to leave

It quickly becomes clear that the union isn't actually legitimate in the first place

Can we therefore go to bed with blame for everything laid at the door of the English?

Or the mad Celts?

English

Sufficient surely that the other parties in the Union have agreed to the self-determination process for the party choosing to leave or not. The "everyone vote" option seems un- or at least not normally precedented, the more common alternative being a bloody war of independence.

Salmond being in charge would worry me too - but I guess it won't matter too much to those south of the border ... until such time as it all goes horribly wrong and Scotland have to ask to be let back in (should that ever happen, of course).

Hopefully (for their sake) the Scots will be smart enough to vote no.

I hold deep reservations about an a****** like Salmond being in charge of an independent Scotland.

I bet it's a Labour government most of the time. What's the SNP likely to be doing AFTER scottish independence is achieved?

Hopefully (for their sake) the Scots will be smart enough to vote no.

what benefits do you perceive they gain from being welded to the British superstate and its tottering currency?

Salmond says no, he was saying yes pre crisis

FFS! If they don't propose to join the Euro then even I would vote No

what's he proposing? To launch some kind of "Scooots Pooond" or something??

Can you talk me through the justification for your use of the term "tottering currency"?

I consider the pound sterling to be a dubious instrument which is due for a spectacular fall at some time in the next 10 years or so

Use of the present tense as in 'tottering' is, perhaps, inappropriate

FFS! If they don't propose to join the Euro then even I would vote No

what's he proposing? To launch some kind of "Scooots Pooond" or something??

I consider the pound sterling to be a dubious instrument which is due for a spectacular fall at some time in the next 10 years or so

Use of the present tense as in 'tottering' is, perhaps, inappropriate

'Keep the pound, it's our currency too, we have a right to it as much as the union countries'

He believes that in the interests of currency stability the BoE and Westminster will be forced to have a Scottish voice influencing monetary policy. Not sure how it all works with lender of last resort and differing borrowing rates being an issue, as with the Euro, even if there was agreement on representation in exchange for fiscal discipline rules, but hey.

Edited by Rimbeux

'Keep the pound, it's our currency too, we have a right to it as much as the union countries'

He believes that in the interests of currency stability the BoE and Westminster will be forced to have a Scottish voice influencing monetary policy. Not sure how it all works with lender of last resort and differing borrowing rates being an issue, as with the Euro, even if there was agreement on representation in exchange for fiscal discipline rules, but hey.

Not really independence then, is it?

#idiotic