By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Audio Books

charlie clown

Over the last year or so I've been listening to audio books more and more - great for traveling etc.- but I do struggle trying to track down decent ones. I am signed wup with Audible but their categorisation of the books they offer makes it really difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff. Was looking last nighht at their 'Literary fiction' list and there were books in there by Ben Elton, Judy Finnegan and Ferne Britten... I mean...

Anyhow, anyone got any good recommendations of good AUDIO books, I usually look for something a bit more off the beaten track, quirky and well-read although I like a decent thriller or ghost stroy as much as the next man. But with Audible's lists clearly geared towards people who only ever buy from the current top 10, it's tricky finding what is good out and a bit different....

I know you don't mention non-fiction, but any of David Sedaris' essay collections would be worth getting. When I signed up for Audible, the free one I got was Guillermo Del Toro's vampire one 'The Stain'.

I'm assuming you've already got I, Partridge.

I really enjoyed David Attenborough's My Life on Audible. It's a format I think that lends itself to the type of book you can dip in and out of rather than one you have to follow closely. Bill Bryson for instance I think would be really decent

Good shouts all - ta. I used to enjoy David Sedaris's stuff on R4 so will deffo dip into those. And yes, agree Vic - recently listened to Danny Baker's autobiog and that was great for dipping in and out of.

I also tend to listen to trashier books than I normally read - Lee Childs type stuff which would probably annoy me as a readers, is probably great on audio if the reader is in good form, that kind of thing...