By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Raised beds

Bailo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone made their own? Any reccomendations on what to construct them out of that won't cost a fortune?

railway sleepers are an easy option, cost vary - approx £16-17 each depending on size and most do deals, the more you buy etc..

gabions look better mind

Edited by Eskimo

If you are going down the railway sleeper route don't get ones that have been taken up get new. Also think about the shape you want, like if you are going for round beds it's going to make less sense advising you to get sleepers.

Probably either one long one (2-3m) by 1-1.5m or split that into two square ones (1.5 x 1.5). Presume ill be looking for about 30cm depth so I've got as wide a range of options to plant as possible.

Probably either one long one (2-3m) by 1-1.5m or split that into two square ones (1.5 x 1.5). Presume ill be looking for about 30cm depth so I've got as wide a range of options to plant as possible.

two sleepers will give you around 30cm

Anyone made their own? Any reccomendations on what to construct them out of that won't cost a fortune?

Use cedar or composite decking for the best results, other than that , some sort of pressure treated wood that is less likely to rot quickly.

Bloke around the corner built a load of these things last year, but his are 3 foot off the ground as his wife has a bad back. The railroad ties are fine, but you have to watch for bugs that will eat them from the inside out over time.

Found a wood recycling project in Birmingham that sells old scaffolding boards for £1.50/ft. Seems like a good deal.

Way too much, this guy sells new 13ft boards for about £6 - £7 each, he also sells used boards for around £3.

I've used him a few times and he's ok, pick up in Liverpool ( at the back of the old metal box in speke) or Shopshire.

Ebay

Edited by Corgi

Way too much, this guy sells new 13ft boards for about £6 - £7 each, he also sells used boards for around £3.

I've used him a few times and he's ok, pick up in Liverpool ( at the back of the old metal box in speke) or Shopshire.

Ebay

Cheers, not local to Liverpool but Shropshire might be doable. Good to know about the price of the boards.

Kahnee, I'll be planting whatever can be started off in the late summer/early autumn. Suggestions? Carrots, brocolli, chillis, lettuce all seem to get eaten very quickly in our house, might start with them. Onions as well.

Cheers, not local to Liverpool but Shropshire might be doable. Good to know about the price of the boards.

Kahnee, I'll be planting whatever can be started off in the late summer/early autumn. Suggestions? Carrots, brocolli, chillis, lettuce all seem to get eaten very quickly in our house, might start with them. Onions as well.

Good luck with chillis planted outside in the autumn.