By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Effecftive or a Fad

DPD1973

Contains African Mango and Acai Fruit. Aah!

Looks like your typical miracle fruit/berry fad, mate. Minus the S&H scam.

Although S. Human's review on that Amazon link makes me want to try it. :D These miracle fruit guys love posting 'real reviews' on websites, mostly one page ones created by the product seller himself. Like this one!

Edited by carrafan

I'm just fasting twice a week - <600 calories on Mondays and Thursdays and pretty much normal eating the other five days

Not quick, no glorious shedding of 5lbs a week but a steady 1-2 a week and down over a stone now. Helps that I am also doing more exercise. In other words, I am eating less and doing more.

I also like it as no-one has sold me a diet plan, meals, supplements, oatbran or anything else in the process.. I do get a little cranky of an evening of a fast day though!

I'm just fasting twice a week - <600 calories on Mondays and Thursdays and pretty much normal eating the other five days

Not quick, no glorious shedding of 5lbs a week but a steady 1-2 a week and down over a stone now. Helps that I am also doing more exercise. In other words, I am eating less and doing more.

I also like it as no-one has sold me a diet plan, meals, supplements, oatbran or anything else in the process.. I do get a little cranky of an evening of a fast day though!

Why not just eat a bit less the whole week instead of starving yourself for 2 days?

A few lads I know are on the 5 - 2 diet, eat normally 5 days a week. 2 Days a week consume less than 500 calories in the day

A guy I work with does this, consistently loses weight on it. Days can't be consecutive. I just couldn't eat less than 500 calories in a day. That's breakfast.

Why not just eat a bit less the whole week instead of starving yourself for 2 days?

The body burns calories at the same rate 7 days a week because it expects the normal amount of calories, it doesn't adjust to the reduced calorie intake like it would if you just ate less. So you burn more than you intake on those two days.

The body burns calories at the same rate 7 days a week because it expects the normal amount of calories, it doesn't adjust to the reduced calorie intake like it would if you just ate less. So you burn more than you intake on those two days.

Any evidence for that?

Any evidence for that?

Here's someone who tried it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html

However this expert says no

Nutrition expert Dr Nupur Krishnan says that there is hardly any weight loss achieved even with complete fasting. "Fasting gives rest to our digestive system but it doesn't help in any significant weight loss in the long term. In terms of regulating our internal metabolism, our bodies are much smarter than we think. When all of a sudden, you reduce your calorie intake by one fourth of your daily consumption, your internal system sets off an alarm and your body will adjust its energy expenditure on fasting days and normal days. It is best to gradually reduce the calorie intake to match your basal metabolic rate, so that every day, one eats enough food without fasting."

Edited by Woodsyla

i'm down almost two stone by eating non-processed foods - just fresh stuff like vegetables, fish, meats, fruit - and exercising.. i've tried a couple of quick fix diets before, basically cos i love my food and couldn't be arsed running! - but it's true what they say: eat well and exercise and you'll lose weight and feel better.. just another two stone to go now......

i'm down almost two stone by eating non-processed foods - just fresh stuff like vegetables, fish, meats, fruit - and exercising.. i've tried a couple of quick fix diets before, basically cos i love my food and couldn't be arsed running! - but it's true what they say: eat well and exercise and you'll lose weight and feel better.. just another two stone to go now......

Can you send us some pictures? ;)

I eat everything in sight(3000-5000 Calories a day) but Train Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday 6am - 7am weights in gym then 6pm - 8pm Grappling/Muay Thai/BJJ/MMA

And Wednesday/Saturday/Sunday - Football and weights on Sunday night am 16st 5lbs and recently achieved 11% body.

Just rubbing it in because it killed me to get here.

Edited by Bad News Bear

I did that 5 - 2 for a month and lost a lot of weight doing it. I ate s*** 5 days a week and then less than 600 calories on the other days. It does work but those two days are hard to maintain which is why I gave it up.

Protein diets work best for quick weight loss. Something like the Dukan, it flies off and once your into the flow of things it's pretty easy to maintain but the first few weeks are extremely tough so you need to be in the right frame of mind. I've never been fitter or healthier than when I was doing this though.

Eat less, do more. One day someone will make a lot of money out if this.

Yep. There's no secret about it.

Yep x2. Eat decent food, keep a food diary - many people are shocked at what they consume when they do. Typically in America, people have a Starbucks (f***ing mental everything in) coffee & don't consider it but they can have 300-500 calories easily.

I eat all day at work, but I eat bananas, apples, nuts & dark chocolate (70%), opposed to crisps & Double Deckers (RBM) which is a big diff.

Aye - good food doesn't equate to miserable tasting food. There are plenty of meals you can make in as much time as it takes to heat up a frozen meal, and stuff you make from scratch invariably tastes better.

Also people need to not feel the need to clean the plate and remember that if you crash weight loss, you lose muscle too

However this expert says no

Nutrition expert Dr Nupur Krishnan says that there is hardly any weight loss achieved even with complete fasting. "Fasting gives rest to our digestive system but it doesn't help in any significant weight loss in the long term. In terms of regulating our internal metabolism, our bodies are much smarter than we think. When all of a sudden, you reduce your calorie intake by one fourth of your daily consumption, your internal system sets off an alarm and your body will adjust its energy expenditure on fasting days and normal days. It is best to gradually reduce the calorie intake to match your basal metabolic rate, so that every day, one eats enough food without fasting."

Well I've lost over two stone on the 5-2 in four months so I reckon she's talking nonsense. I found it pretty easy and you can actually eat pretty well on the 600 cal days if you put some thought into the meals. I have a 200 cal lunch and a 400 cal tea and I don't find myself getting too hungry at all. The fact that you can eat and drink what you want on five days a week makes it work for me; I take the hit on two days and forget about it for the rest of the week.

I've never heard of your body 'burning' calories at the same rate irrespective of calorific intake. Obviously you have a basal level of calories needed to keep you alive, if you don't use any more by e.g. contracting muscles, your body will just use that amount - it won't continue using them.

Edited by Bailo