By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Iraq ten years on.

Frosty Jack

Shills such as Nick Cohen, David Aaranovitch & John Rentoul are still busy post-rationalising away how demonstrably & comprehensively wrong they were about the Iraq invasion.

A rational look at the legacy of it a decade on.

http://www.independe...aq-8518490.html

Sanitation, Health, Safety, Security, Electricity, Education, Employment : Details.

(If in doubt about the numbers of Iraqi dead, an article from 2008).

http://www.motherjon...1/iraq-math-war

Unbelievable that some still insist this was the right course of action, it's almost as if dead *other* people don't matter, or something.

Edited by Niemeyer

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Commemorated with car bombs and IED's to kill scores of Shia. And Blair still insisting it was the right thing to do. And we will regret it if we don't get stuck into Syria apparently despite all the evidence proving him wrong.

45_minutes_wmd.jpg

They didn't have missiles that could go 45 miles, did they ?

Yeah, they did. They had Scuds. But they had no way to weaponize any suspected chemical or biological agents. Not that they had them any more anyway.

This whole thing was fabricated by those scumbags Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and Perle. And they roped in Rice, Powell and that idiot Bush. I talked with a friend of mine who was a Congressman and asked if he truly believed the evidence he was shown, and he said that he was assured 100% by the national security guys that the pictures he was being shown were solid proof of a weapons program. The truth was, they had to act on blind faith from these "experts" and these experts were guided and corrupted ultimately by Cheney and his henchmen. It was a total sham.

At the time, I was all for getting rid of Saddam. He was so f*cking bad that I just knew that we had to get rid of him whatever the cost and that stopping a chemical weapons program was a bonus. I was totally wrong about that. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that his butchery is over with, but the cost was far too great. There were far better and cheaper methods to have made a positive difference to the people of Iraq. That war and subsequent occupation will go down as the worst foreign policy f*ck up in the history of America.

Commemorated with car bombs and IED's to kill scores of Shia. And Blair still insisting it was the right thing to do. And we will regret it if we don't get stuck into Syria apparently despite all the evidence proving him wrong.

A lot of the atrocities that are happening in Syria are being done by the opposition army, some horrible horrible stuff happening against the shias and anyone who is seen as pro Assad, I find it amazing that someone in the UK/ US can decide who the good guys and who the bad guys are in places like this

Assad might not be a great person (not worse than the leaders of the Saudis or many of thier neighbours ), but I really worry for Syria if he is overthrown , It'll be worse than Iraq

At the time, I was all for getting rid of Saddam. He was so f*cking bad that I just knew that we had to get rid of him whatever the cost and that stopping a chemical weapons program was a bonus. I was totally wrong about that. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that his butchery is over with, but the cost was far too great. There were far better and cheaper methods to have made a positive difference to the people of Iraq. That war and subsequent occupation will go down as the worst foreign policy f*ck up in the history of America.

the current corrupt/ inept Iraqi government has just as much blood on its hand

A lot of the atrocities that are happening in Syria are being done by the opposition army, some horrible horrible stuff happening against the shias and anyone who is seen as pro Assad, I find it amazing that someone in the UK/ US can decide who the good guys and who the bad guys are in places like this

Assad might not be a great person (not worse than the leaders of the Saudis or many of thier neighbours ), but I really worry for Syria if he is overthrown , It'll be worse than Iraq

I can't say I know for sure about that mate. I do know that Saddam was one wicked motherf*cker.

I can't say I know for sure about that mate. I do know that Saddam was one wicked motherf*cker.

He was a c***, no one cared though until he attacked Kuwait

you might remember this, I'm guessing that he had more international public support during his war against Iran , even though he was using chemical weapons and killing his own people and the Iranians at that time

saw an interesting graphic yesterday that attempted to show the number of different rebel factions in Syria, there was about 20.

you might remember this, I'm guessing that he had more international public support during his war against Iran , even though he was using chemical weapons and killing his own people and the Iranians at that time

He did. He got a lot of leeway and that was the period when Rumsfeld met him on behalf of Reagan. Iran was hated beyond words, but that was pretty understandable given the hostage crisis. The rhetoric was absolutely toxic.

It was no reason to give Saddam the breaks that he did mind. They ended up creating a real monster. Here's a good account of all that from GWU.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/

Correct.

she wrote some good books. well, one. maybe more but at least one

Only done the one novel hasn't she?

I loved it.

Was 2004 when I read it though, will have to revisit it some time to see whether it is as good as I remember or whether it was just that I was having a boss year of travelling around and feeling all loved up.

she wrote some good books. well, one. maybe more but at least one

Her knowledge about and genuine care for Indian tribal Naxalites (or Maoists) is very endearing. Clearly shows us that there are no absolutes in political ideology. (left good, right bad or vice versa) No secret as to why she doesn't get enough airtime in Indian television 'news' media.

Edited by carrafan