By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Prometheus

Ed the Wool

Enjoyed it. It's flawed, but it's stunning, it deals with big ideas and concepts. Thought the preformances were good. Theron's a*** is absolutely magnificient.

It's getting a right slagging from some of the Alien fanbase, but it's not an Alien film at all, that's been done to death. Much more conceptual Sci Fi.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more i think about it the more i rate it.

Saw a late showing of Prometheus last night (in digital 3D). Thoroughly enjoyed it. My expectations were fairly low due to the mixed reviews which possibly made it better. The script and character development admittedly wasn't great but the cast was good and well acted and it was very well shot. Thought the 3D was used well too, in that there weren't entire scenes dedicated to showing off 3D rather it was used to bring you into the impressive sets and surroundings.

The story left a lot of questions unanswered but i wonder if that wasn't part of the point. Like some of the great sci-fi's it leaves you thinking about it and trying to interpret it afterwards rather than tying the whole story up in a bow for you. Either that or it's begging for a sequel to clear a few things up. A friend thought it was drawn out and didn't have enough horror and jumps, but again i think that was intentional as it played like a more traditional sci-fi rather than the sci-fi horror of the Alien films.

On a side note I really hope there will be a directors cut with a Charlize Theron - Idris Elba sex-scene. Damn she looked fine. ;)

I agree it's not an 'Alien' film Ed. The expectation of a new Ridley Scott 'Alien' has overshadowed a very good film and imo comparing the two films is one of the reasons its getting mixed reviews. It's not without its flaws but I think the fact people are discussing the content and trying to interpret the unanswered questions speaks volumes. I'm tempted to give it a rewatch, maybe see how the 2D compares with the 3D.

The more i think about it the more i rate it.

I agree it's not an 'Alien' film Ed. The expectation of a new Ridley Scott 'Alien' has overshadowed a very good film and imo comparing the two films is one of the reasons its getting mixed reviews. It's not without its flaws but I think the fact people are discussing the content and trying to interpret the unanswered questions speaks volumes. I'm tempted to give it a rewatch, maybe see how the 2D compares with the 3D.

Yeah I'm with you, found myself thinking about it after and for the next couple of days, and I've thought about seeing it in 2D were it not for it costing 18 quid to see it in London, so I think I'll wait for DVD!

I've just read the plot on Wikki, and realised I didn't really get that opening sequence at all, if what is written there is correct.

I loved those 'ghost' image sequences as well, they were great, but there was no real explanation. Apparently the studio didn't cut it down at all, but I felt like I could have taken another 30 mins at least if it was good revealing stuff.

The horror bits did the job where they were, the whole cinmea gasped in relief after one bit, don't remember that happening in a film I've seen for a while.

I see. Movie thread not good enough for you, eh? c****.

Nah. It's full of bad bells thinking giving everything 6/10 is a jape.

Blockbusters deserve own threads.

Enjoyed it. It's flawed, but it's stunning, it deals with big ideas and concepts. Thought the preformances were good. Theron's a*** is absolutely magnificient.

It's getting a right slagging from some of the Alien fanbase, but it's not an Alien film at all, that's been done to death. Much more conceptual Sci Fi.

It really is. :thumbs:

Apparently the studio didn't cut it down at all, but I felt like I could have taken another 30 mins at least if it was good revealing stuff.

Ridley Scott on The Kahnee Show said that things had been left out that he would have liked to put in.

(He was asked about the likelihood of a Director's Cut)

Ridley Scott on The Kahnee Show said that things had been left out that he would have liked to put in.

(He was asked about the likelihood of a Director's Cut)

Really? That's interesting. Wonder what was chopped.

Edit: Just found a good interview here, has a few spoilers. Doesn't agree with Wikki either!

http://www.prometheusforum.net/discussion/1575/ridley-scott-because-theyre-such-aggressive-fkers

Edited by Ed the Wool

The way that it ended looked as though it was set up for a sequel. A sequel that would be an awful film.

I just thought that the dialogue was cheesy and cliched. Michael Fassbender was sensational though.

The way that it ended looked as though it was set up for a sequel. A sequel that would be an awful film.

I just thought that the dialogue was cheesy and cliched. Michael Fassbender was sensational though.

In the interview I referred to earlier he said that at the end of this one, there are another 2 movies worth of story before you get to the beginning of Alien.

I'm not really sure how Scott could make a sequel work. Shaw and David go to the Engineer's planet. And do what? Make friends with them? Fight them? Persuade them not to re-engineer Earth?

Philmatthews, please meet the Spolier option. Spoiler option, this is Philmatthews. I hope you have a long and happy relationship from now on.

Loved it. Saw it on the IMAX in Birmingham and the 3D and sound was sublime. It does leave questions, but I like that - the Alien films got progressively worse as they demystified the Xenomorph. Not sure if I want a sequel. Though Rapace and Fassbender were excellent, the latter really malevolent. The intro seems to have confused a lot of people, though I'm not sure why?

Weyland being on the ship was screamingly obvious though

There's been loads of moaning about the last scene, but I thought it was a perfect link. One thing that did bug me is the Prometheus was waaay more advanced than the Sulaco, the only way of explaining it would be the latter is "just" a salvage ship, but the tech looked far more advanced.

Listened to the Kermode interview last night, there's definitely a Directors cut coming isn't there.

Scott quoted as saying the opening scene isn't necessarily on earth. He was adamant there were at least 2 films before it links into Alien.

I'm struggling to remeber the last scene now, it was pretty blistering paced the last 10-15 mins. I just know I wanted to see what happens next, which sets it up well for a sequel.

He's 74 now though Scott, how much longer can he go on?

Theron's death was pretty unsatisfying, although I suppose that she might not actually be dead if they want to have her in the sequel. The other thing I didn't get was, how can the Engineer DNA be the same as ours when they look so different. I'm no expert on DNA, but wouldn't there be differences?

was it just me who thought Weyland looked like Old Biff from Back to the future 2?

Ha! Now I think about it, yes!

I'm struggling to remeber the last scene now, it was pretty blistering paced the last 10-15 mins. I just know I wanted to see what happens next, which sets it up well for a sequel.

Theron's death was pretty unsatisfying, although I suppose that she might not actually be dead if they want to have her in the sequel. The other thing I didn't get was, how can the Engineer DNA be the same as ours when they look so different. I'm no expert on DNA, but wouldn't there be differences?

Final scene was something bursting out of The Engineer's chest, then a secondary jaw develops. If this is the evolution of the Xenomorph, then it's life cycle has been speeded up somewhat. Would make sense though to have a period of incubation and use the host as a Trojan horse.

I can't remember if they said the DNA was identical or very similar, but if they said identical it would be pretty unlikely. That said, The Engineer's seemed to have two legs, arms, facial features broadly the same, so possibly their homeworld might be responsible for their increased height? They might also be a soldier caste, hence the exosuit and increased muscle mass?

££££££££££

I think that's one of the things that sets Scott apart, and I'm not sure if it started on purpose or it developed, but for a director/artist he's always got an eye on the bottom line. His comments on 3D in that interview were basically him just saying the studio wants it to sell, I can work with it and Imax if that's the market.

He pretty much invented the 'Director's cut' market.

I think he pretty much sketches every shot in a film, he's a fantastic artist, can't remember which extras I saw that on. He's a very interesting artist for me.

I think that's one of the things that sets Scott apart, and I'm not sure if it started on purpose or it developed, but for a director/artist he's always got an eye on the bottom line. His comments on 3D in that interview were basically him just saying the studio wants it to sell, I can work with it and Imax if that's the market.

He pretty much invented the 'Director's cut' market.

I think he pretty much sketches every shot in a film, he's a fantastic artist, can't remember which extras I saw that on. He's a very interesting artist for me.

I agree. His Hovis adverts were classics too, always well shot and edited, not surprising he ended up making films instead of just adverts.

I thought it was visually stunning but looked like it was hacked to death in the cutting room.

I thought it was good but not great. Thought the same about the cutting too