By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Joinery -decking

Falconhoof

Has anyone built their own decking ?

I'm drawing up a plan for some and most of the guides I've read say to space the joists 400mm apart but over a 6m wide deck that's going to need 13 rows of posts. It seems an awful lot.

If anyone has built one I'd welcome ideas.

I need decking as the patio kitchen doors are 300mm above the patio. I dont want to step down from there, I want to just walk out onto a deck and then step down further out to the grass.

Cant you just put poison down if you have rats?

I need decking as the patio kitchen doors are 300mm above the patio. I dont want to step down from there, I want to just walk out onto a deck and then step down further out to the grass.

Cant you just put poison down if you have rats?

Never-ending battle.

Build a ramp.

I built a 16x12 floating deck in my garden last year. As the garden is full of granite and tree roots I couldn't put a traditional concrete foundation so I used this system.

http://www.deckplans.com/free-deck-plans

4x4 studs go into the concrete block. as long as each individual block is level then it doesn;t matter if they are all at the same height as you cut the 4x4's to get a level surface to attach the frame to.

for the deck i had 13 rows of 3 blocks and the frame goes around the outside with 11 rows of wood toe nailed into the 4x4's so yes - they seem very close. however when you add the decking it attached to each piece of wood and makes it solid as a rock.

I had a 30 foot branch fall on my gazebo last year and totally wiped it out - deck was untouched and didn;t move.

I love it - great addition to the house.

As for animals (I was more concered about squirrels and skunk) I used chicken wire and wrapped it around the whole deck and nailed itto the frame. Mine was low enough to be able to hide it with plants. that stops the bastids.

if it was higher then I'd probably attach trellis over the wire to make it look good.

took two people a day to get everything into place and one person a further day to add the decking.

Use trex decking so you don;t have to a*** around with stain etc. Cost more but well worth it.

good luck.

Thats my sensible post for the year.

or, you hire someone to tear down your old wooden deck and have them replace it with an 18x20 Timbertech deck that never rots.

make sure they use 25 year pressure treated lumber for the frame and seal all the wood wherever possible.

finally, enclose the deck with privacy vinyl trellis and you are done. top it off with some deck lights and you will have a deck that should last a long, long time.

most importantly, live somewhere where there are no rats, we get the odd racoon on the deck, but they are just looking to finish of the cat's food.

I built a 16x12 floating deck in my garden last year. As the garden is full of granite and tree roots I couldn't put a traditional concrete foundation so I used this system.

http://www.deckplans.com/free-deck-plans

System looks good. Bet it's expensive.

But I hate working in feet and inches. It's all metric with me and the bloke who will give me a hand with the decking is all old school with his 4b4 this and 16inches that. Neither of us understands what the other means.

I'm getting there with the plans now, going to order the wood tomorrow. Just need to work out how many spindles I need over 13m of rail.

System looks good. Bet it's expensive.

But I hate working in feet and inches. It's all metric with me and the bloke who will give me a hand with the decking is all old school with his 4b4 this and 16inches that. Neither of us understands what the other means.

I'm getting there with the plans now, going to order the wood tomorrow. Just need to work out how many spindles I need over 13m of rail.

have to use feet and inches - they don't do metric here.

here is the finished product

gazebo.jpg

That looks stunning mate.

I can't see the gazebo structure properly but is that built in, with the posts up through the decking ?

Or is it a gazebo you have put on top ?

The gazebo was seperate - just attached to the deck afterward.

great for the summer - like having another room - spent most of our time there last summer.

then a 30 foot branch took it out in a storm!

no damage to the decking or the beer cooler though - which was the most important thing.

Rats under the decking?

Is this a known problem ?

I honestly haven't factored it into my thinking.

I've got as far as planning it out and getting a price for the timber.

now is the time to buy kittens and train them then

everyone says it's a problem

It's a business waiting to happen. Someone goes round with ferrets to catch the decking rats. £10 a rat.

It's already a business, my mum gets a bloke with a ferret and a jack russell to come round whenever necessary.

I don't know how you stop a jack russell in full flight from going at the ferret, that's why he's the man with a ferret and a jack russell I suppose.

Edited by cymrococh

When I worked at the BBC we used to see a bloke with a hawk wandering round quite regularly - we just presumed he was filming something there at first but we later discovered he was going up to the top of the building and letting it loose on the pigeons.

I'd love that job.

Inter-species murder coordinator.