By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

HDMI Cables

muleskinner

Whats the best to get? Keep reading differing opinions, from cheap is fine to you must spend 70 quid or you aren't doing your telly justice.

Whats the hive mind got to say?

Anyone who says you need to spend £70 on an HDMI lead is a cretin.

Buy a cheap, well-made HDMI lead. Simple as.

Such as? I want names Gerry, brands n s***.

OK, I'll give an example. I've bought this stuff before and they're well made (the pure HDMI leads).

I think if you're planning to go 3D you need a higher spec lead though - 1.4a rather than 1.3 (which is what the above are). See here.

Edited by Gerry

Why would you buy gold plated ones?

If you have a look all of the supposed expensive better ones are gold plated Inc the bog standard ps3 ones on sale at GAME etc. I am no expert but there must be a reason for it? Perhaps a question for AV Forums

If you have a look all of the supposed expensive better ones are gold plated Inc the bog standard ps3 ones on sale at GAME etc. I am no expert but there must be a reason for it? Perhaps a question for AV Forums

I suspect the expensive ones are not better at all. I.e the reason for it is to milk people's money.

The material used back in the days of analogue AV-transfer might have had an effect (gold plating etc) but those properties are of no use any more

For short lengths of cables it doesn't really matter, if you are talking about 10-15m you need to think about spending a bit more. You really cant go wrong with the Ikuna cables I linked earlier, Im using 4 of them on my kit and I cant fault them at all, they even look good.

My understanding is that HDMI cables only carry digital data, i.e. 1s and 0s, so, as Bo Benn says, the cable either works or it doesn't. You can't have a good quality 1 or a poorer quality 0.

Definitely go for HDMI 1.4a as you don't want to have to upgrade later on...

That's not strictly true, for short cables this stands but for longer lengths the picture can degrade if the cable quality is poor (sparkles).

Factors such as shielding comes in when cables get longer, same with various computer cables (you never see those gold plated btw). Never realized people used 5m+ HDMI cables but I suppose if you only have one bluray player in the house for instance it makes sense.

A related question: Has anyone any experince from HDMI splitters? Thinking of connecting two screens to one computer, and AFAIK they always come with only one HDMI port.

A related question: Has anyone any experince from HDMI splitters? Thinking of connecting two screens to one computer, and AFAIK they always come with only one HDMI port.

Wouldn't a splitter simply send the same signal to both monitors? Is that what you want?

Depends what graphics cards you want, but if it has an HDMI port and a DVI port you should be able to connect to two HDMI monitors that way.

You will get the same image on both screens. If you want to have dual monitors, displaying different things, then you need an additional port....if it's a notebook, get a docking station with additional ports. If it's a desktop, get an additional graphics card.

Thinking of getting a HTPC-type computer and put it by my main TV but also be able to use the computer on my smaller kitchen screen. Will rarely use both at the same time so having the identical image on both screens won't be a problem.

Are there any performance problems associated with simpler splitters? I assume there are no passive splitters but you need one that actively transmits two signals, no?