By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

PC Modding and GFX Cards

Flight

Detailed what I've been up to today and the last couple of weeks on OcUK :

Flights new shiny toys

As an aside the latest NVidia card series (460/470/480) have awful noise and heat problems. So I stripped my 470 down and fitted a customer Zalman cooler to it. It blows the air into the case instead of out the back, though. SO I apired it up with a Silverstone FT02B-W case.

This is one a small number of new cases that counter rotates the motherboard 90 degrees so that the back plate faces out the top of the PC instead of the back.

The cooling performance is astonishing, and as any geek will tell you temp plays a large part in defining whetheryou can overclock 500 quid worth of kit in 5 minutes so that it performs better than the four times more expensive top of the range set up that Mr non-Geek has forked out for because he wants the best.

The most interesting part of the whole thing for me was the FT02 case. Heat has been a restriction to computing for two decades, but we've constandly stood by the case design that has our components (GFX cards etc) vertical across the case. Now, with the Silverstone, everything is vertical. And three huge powerful fans alonside the whole bottom of the case such air in and direct it out the top of the case.

In PC terms it's like when man decided rounding off the corners of square wheels might be an idea on a flat surface.

Not the best picture, but it gives you an idea about the airflow, sucked in from the bottom and air forced vertically out of the top of the case :

5970_in_FT02.jpg

Was going to do a build this December using the Coolermaster HafX. The Silverstone vertical mounting makes a lot of sense, but f*** me its ugly.

Also, based on performance I thought ATI was the choice right now? Personally I've never been that big on meesing with the gfx card cooling because you typically can't get much of an overclock out of them. Unless some of these new cards are overclocking more than 10% odd.

Have you gone ssd for you os?

Was going to do a build this December using the Coolermaster HafX. The Silverstone vertical mounting makes a lot of sense, but f*** me its ugly.

Also, based on performance I thought ATI was the choice right now? Personally I've never been that big on meesing with the gfx card cooling because you typically can't get much of an overclock out of them. Unless some of these new cards are overclocking more than 10% odd.

Have you gone ssd for you os?

Custom PCs October Lab Test was on cases. The HafX performed very well and came in second. It was well ahead of most cases but the FT02(B-W) 'blew' it away. I very much like the SATA dock in the HafX though, which the FT02 doesn't have.

Not sure why you think the Silverstone is ugly ? It's a pretty standard shape from the outside. Just took this and took a shot with the lid off to show what is normally the back of the PC at the top.

a) everything is so accessible,a as a bonus feature - no more on the floor around the back of the PC witha torch;

b) it again underlines how much vertical alignment makes sense - the base fan is blowing straight up on to the CPU, the push / pull on the Thermaltake Frio CPU cooler is in line with it and the top exhaust fan is directly above it.

img0302eq.jpg

img0303zi.jpg

Note that those components are about the biggest around (that's an 850 PSU at the top back of the case to put the size of the CPU cooler and the GFX card into perspective).

Yes, I've gone with an SSD just recently. Most significant upgrade I've ever made. My motherboard is SATA 3 capable so I went for the Crucial C300. 6Gb/sec !

MSI Afterburner is the most common GFX OC software, at this moment. You can get a 15%+ improvement, although (obviously) performance characteristics will vary between individual cards. H/W is always a lottery when you buy it with OCing in mind. My 470 performs nearly as well as a 480 (£200 vrs £300 of card) for the sake of a free bit of software and a few minutes work.

After burner is a great bit of kit even if you don't want to OC but want to set a custom fan profile (you can set how fast your fan spins vrs how hot your card is, with as many break points as you want). A lot of cards fans don't actually kick in at all until they are getting relatively hot, so this is an easy fix.

MSI Afterburner download here

I debated with myself for a while and went with the NVidia card a month or so back. The AMD cards had been out for a long time (in PC hardware anything over 6 months is a long time) and had hardly dropped in price, so the NVidia were actually better bang vrs buck for a while. Now I did that knowing that next gen was literally weeks away and the first reviews of the 6XXX series came in today.

List of 6850 / 6870 reviews here

The naming convention has changed slightly. The 6850 is going up against the 460 and the 6870 against the 470. The top of the range 6970 isn't out for another month or so.

Performance Analysis Bar Charts in Thread at Guru

TL : DR expect major price changes in the coming weeks and hold off purchasing (if you have the patience) for a month, at least.

Edited by Flight