Sign in to follow this  
johngibo YPC

Running a City Centre Bar

don't forget the speed dating matty...

:yes:

And maybe a fancy dress night. 'Hamas and Hasidics' for a kick off.

Gibo: present yourself at the Ship and Mitre well in advance of RM next week (before I get too pissed) and we'll cover all the angles with you

at first glance it would appear that you're mad but it may be possible to tweak the madness in to something viable

Sound. I am not actually too worried about getting people in. Its more the fact we haven't got a clue what we are doing. But some people who do know what they are doing (abit) have threatened to get on board

Sound. I am not actually too worried about getting people in. Its more the fact we haven't got a clue what we are doing. But some people who do know what they are doing (abit) have threatened to get on board

I like that pub and I like the location but it's so small that it would need to be worked and worked to see a profit - a real labour of love

ideally, places like that are owner occupied and have a managers flat above, where the manager is the owner and thinks about the business 24/7

but anyway, more of that next week

bring the following info:

the asking rent

freehold price if applicable (preferable, but unlikely if it's owned by Frensons)

licenced capacity

trading hours

floor plan or at least an idea of the sq footage

and I presume if it's not owned by Frensons it's not tied is it?

there's no real analysis to be done without the above info

:yes:

And maybe a fancy dress night. 'Hamas and Hasidics' for a kick off.

and also it's next to Chinatown so we could go big on the music, as I have recently discovered that 50% of young pianists in Liverpool are of Chinese origin

and also it's next to Chinatown so we could go big on the music, as I have recently discovered that 50% of young pianists in Liverpool are of Chinese origin

chopsticks!

Live piano recitals in pubs by young Chinese kids is a much under-used pub entertainment genre.

I like that pub and I like the location but it's so small that it would need to be worked and worked to see a profit - a real labour of love

I think the location is great, and it has been badly managed. I like the fact that it is very small. Easier to manage in theory. Lower overheads etc

ideally, places like that are owner occupied and have a managers flat above, where the manager is the owner and thinks about the business 24/7

Agreed, this is desirable

but anyway, more of that next week

bring the following info:

the asking rent

We have this

freehold price if applicable (preferable, but unlikely if it's owned by Frensons)

n/a

licenced capacity

Can get this

trading hours

Is this set in stone?

floor plan or at least an idea of the sq footage

Can get this

and I presume if it's not owned by Frensons it's not tied is it?

No its not tied, which is another big plus for us

there's no real analysis to be done without the above info

protection racketeers will cost you a few quid/limbs.

and bouncers

gotta have a half-off drinks for birds night on a Thursday & a dress-code. Everyone must wear ties, no trainees etc. Classy, like.

and bouncers

gotta have a half-off drinks for birds night on a Thursday & a dress-code. Everyone must wear ties, no trainees etc. Classy, like.

better still, dress code is girls ONLY wear ties and trainers. Classy.

Insurances would be a big cost for a bar wouldn't it?

Buildings, contents, (incl.stock), public liability, employers liability, business interruption. Aye,v probably several thousand.

Coincidence!!

How far you got? how serious are you? How many of you?

And yes to Tav Falco

Three, I think. Semi-serious. Could do with pulling some finger.

Just made enquiries so far. Costings and that. Looking at getting lots of people involved really and running it as a 'hobby'. If indeed we bother at all. I have a feeling its not the great idea we think it is!

Sounds about right.

It could become the official YNWA.TV drinking establishment. Have a Liverpool Lounge, General Football Lounge, General Lounge and an Igor's Rant Hall where the punch ups happen.

We get it, only football takes place on the text. 303 every Saturday. Get in early, places are limited.

Three, I think. Semi-serious. Could do with pulling some finger.

Sounds about right.

We get it, only football takes place on the text. 303 every Saturday. Get in early, places are limited.

I'd be interested in a strategic alliance if you were

Joint ownership. When has that ever failed

You should throw in salsa classes on a Tuesday as well.

Honestly, theres not much money in teaching people how to make tortilla dips.

Sounds f***ing smart. Always fancied it myself, but I know I'd end up with liver failure within a year. I just wouldn't have the will power not to have a 'few' every night. I'd be like that Harry Enfield character in 3 months. "Now you gave me a tenner..."

I'd be interested in a strategic alliance if you were

Joint ownership. When has that ever failed

This thought scares me

A Knox/Gibo think tank :shudder:

Beware.

This is the toughest trading conditions ever for opening a pub.

200 pubs close every week in the uk for a reason.

Cheap supermarket booze,smoking ban, recession, increase on alchol duty is kiling pubs all over the uk

Weatherspoons is undercutting everyone with their out of date beer and s**** microwave food.

You will loose money for the first 2 years. After that who knows you could make a killing if your buisness is in good nick when the economy recovers.

You need to get big boxes of crisps. They come with a perforated circle that you can easily remove. This opens up one end of the box and lets your bar staff get access to the individual bags of crisps.

You'll want to charge around 50p a bag for your crisps.