By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Jade Goody heads home

Kahnee

Begs the question why she went out there

Reality TV star Jade Goody has been diagnosed with cervical cancer, her publicist has confirmed.

The 27-year-old had been appearing in an Indian version of Big Brother, called Bigg Boss.

Max Clifford told BBC Radio 1's Newsbeat Goody was "extremely upset and frightened and will be back as soon as they can get her on a plane".

Show producers confirmed Goody had left the house for "medical reasons". She is due to arrive back in the UK later.

"Jade had some tests recently, then she went off to India to appear in the Indian Big Brother," Mr Clifford said.

"Yesterday we got a call from her consultant to say she had cancer of the cervix and so she has to come back straight away."

He added: "We put the consultant in touch with the programme maker in India and because of the circumstances was allowed to speak to her and explain the results of her tests."

When asked if the result was a positive smear test or a confirmed diagnosis of cancer, Mr Clifford said: "No, it is cancer."

"The important thing is to get her back as soon as possible and get this treated.

"Obviously there were some problems - that's why she had tests. But she had no idea that would be the diagnosis - she was shocked."

No further details regarding Goody's diagnosis or treatment were given.

Goody had undergone tests earlier this month after collapsing and losing blood at her Essex home.

But she had decided to fly to Mumbai to appear in Bigg Boss to make amends after being accused of racism towards Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty on Celebrity Big Brother in the UK.

In an interview conducted before she left for India, she spoke of her fears of becoming ill.

The mother-of-two told Reveal magazine: "I will worry for my beautiful boys if I get unwell, I live for them."

"It's always difficult working away from home but I can't wait around for the doctors to find out what's wrong with me.

"I know it sounds crazy, and a lot of people will criticise me for it, but I have to pay the bills at the end of the day - and if I do face cancer, I need to make sure I can support the boys."

Goody said that doctors had found abnormal cells in a series of smear tests.

She said: "I have had two cancer scares before but this time they said 'Jade there is a strong chance'."

Shetty, who hosts the Indian show, said: "It is unbelievable, how life is so unpredictable and finds a way to distract and derail you from your plans.

"My prayers are with Jade, her family in this hour, when they face one of the biggest tests of their life in times ahead.

"I pray she comes out of this soon and stronger with happy memories from this country."

Cervical cancer develops from cells lining the neck of the womb.

It is the second most common cancer in women under the age of 35 in the UK. There are around 2,700 new cases each year.