By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

books on holiday

Molby

this is what I read:

2 by Allen Carr - How to control alcohol...and How to Lose weight. Read these because everyone was recommending his stop smoking book. Neither book will work for me because in order for his methods to work you have to agree 100% with a set of about 15 assumptions; I was convinced by about 10-12 of them but that's not enough as it needs to be all of them

might be different with the Stop smoking book, but I don't smoke

Dan Brown - Digital Fortess. There was nothing left in the apartment to read. This guy gets rave reviews but it's lost on me. I dont give a flying f*** about any of his characters, the fate of the world if the US encryption thingy gets hacked or anything else he bleats on about...and his action sequences are b****x too

(hard to spell Jewish bird's name) Suite Francaise - Now we're talking; wartime France, great read, beautiful writing with some nice human insights and subtle exploration of the old collaborator theme

helps to know your history

Sebastian Faulkes - Engleby. This book astonished me. a mystery, a kind of love story but from only one (unrequited) perspective, the exploration of a troubled/psychotic mind, a nostalgic but not cliched look at the 70s and 80s

fantastic writing...philosophy with a consistent existential theme and nature vs nurture never far away from the debate...stuff that will make you think well after you've finished the book

it was as if someone like Sartre had suddenly turned in to an amazing writer, or an amazing writer had suddenly found that he was a philosopher with ideas that bore scrutiny at the level of the greats like Sartre

that's about it, mainly