By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Alternative to AVG?

Kahnee

I upgraded to AVG 8.0 yesterday, and since then my computer's been running slow, and my internet browser keeps crashing. I've just uninstalled it. I've used Avast before, this time I'm trying a free program called Avira Antivir - anyone used that before?

There is a silly link scanner component in AVG where it monitors ALL network traffic. This slows down your PC tremdously.

The following fix will remove the LinkScanner component and make it run the way it used to always do so.

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1238

If you wish to install AVG 8.0 Free Edition without the LinkScanner component, or uninstall this component from your program, please proceed as follows:

Download the AVG 8.0 Free Edition installation package from our website.

Run the installation with the parameters /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch. One way to achieve this is to:

save the AVG Free installation file directly to disk C:\

open menu Start -> Run

type

c:\avg_free_stf_*.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

The installation will be started, and AVG will be installed without the LinkScanner component.

There is a silly link scanner component in AVG where it monitors ALL network traffic. This slows down your PC tremdously.

The following fix will remove the LinkScanner component and make it run the way it used to always do so.

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1238

If you wish to install AVG 8.0 Free Edition without the LinkScanner component, or uninstall this component from your program, please proceed as follows:

Download the AVG 8.0 Free Edition installation package from our website.

Run the installation with the parameters /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch. One way to achieve this is to:

save the AVG Free installation file directly to disk C:\

open menu Start -> Run

type

c:\avg_free_stf_*.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

The installation will be started, and AVG will be installed without the LinkScanner component.

Thanks for this. It's definitely seemed to have helped.

I have recently tried all the below and each one gave me issues so would steer well clear. I may give Avast ago.

Nod32 (since they have upgraded it to inc Firewall)

Kaspersky

AVG 8.0

Avast! is free for personal use. I use it without hassle.

and me, reregistered recently after 12 months hassle free use which helped me trap and remove a nasty trojan horse.

I cant recommend it highly enough. I'd actually pay for it if it ceased to be free !!!!