By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Onwards and Upwards.

psl

Well, that's this season over then. Disappointing not to have reached another cup final but you can't have one every year can you? The most important thing now is that Rafa stays. We're genuinely looking pretty strong. Only four league defeats so far, semi finalists in Europe again. If Rafa stays and is backed in the transfer market, I honestly believe that we'll have a decent shot at the league title next year.

I know its the alleged mantra of the Liverpool fan to look to next year but this year has seen Torres and Mascherano brought in, two world class players who could be in this team for years to come. We are getting stronger. Hopefully Rafa will get the support he deserves and a season with no background disruption to mount a serious title challenge.

My biggest concern is that he leaves this summer.

Edited by psl

We need new owners, which will hopefully yield - a new contract for Rafa; a new coaching/scouting set-up; some cash for transfers (i.e. £40m plus outgoing sales); an improvement regarding the commercial/administrative aspects of the club; and some movement involving the new stadium.

Edited by mrshah

If we can sort out the ownership issue the off season could be pretty interesting, i suspect DIC would want to make a statement with at least 1 world class signing.

But even if that doesn't happen the core of the team is looking very strong and its young. Skrtel has come in and looked great can't wait to see him and Agger together, Mascherano is truly world class and Torres is the best striker we've had since Rush.

There are still a couple of obvious positions we can improve but in a way thats a good thing, the team is still probably 80% completed and we've only lost 4 games in the league all season and got to the CL semis again, a couple of top attacking players and a lot of those draws can be turned into wins.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

Well, that's this season over then. Disappointing not to have reached another cup final but you can't have one every year can you? The most important thing now is that Rafa stays. We're genuinely looking pretty strong. Only four league defeats so far, semi finalists in Europe again. If Rafa stays and is backed in the transfer market, I honestly believe that we'll have a decent shot at the league title next year.

I know its the alleged mantra of the Liverpool fan to look to next year but this year has seen Torres and Mascherano brought in, two world class players who could be in this team for years to come. We are getting stronger. Hopefully Rafa will get the support he deserves and a season with no background disruption to mount a serious title challenge.

My biggest concern is that he leaves this summer.

psl - good post. I definitely think we're stronger than at any time since the early 90s but we definitely need Rafa to stay With a little bit of added quality at full back and out wide I think we can challenge next year. Through the middle we're as strong as anyone. One point though that baffles me - for such a fantastic manager that Rafa is - he makes some very strange/poor substitutions and has done right since 2004 (even the subs in Istanbul were stumbled upon) - I'm not talking about tonight specifically (Torres and Skrtel were enforced anyway) but in general I think Rafa needs a strong assistant to read the game with him - Sammy Lee anyone?

I was more gutted at the end of the match last Tuesday then I was today. It is not as if I did not want us to win Thought we could have done it but luck was not on our side. Once I new the mancs were through the thought of playing them in the final did not apeal. Not because the thought of the beating us is something I just could not stomache because I think we could have won, No it was the thought of any trouble over in Moscow and Uefa will be down on both teams like a ton of bricks. You could bet your last pound though that if we had been over their we would have been blamed for everything they are dying to kick us out after last year. Even though it sticks in my throat to say it I hope Chelsea win wont be watching the final though. Will be next year when we will be playing and winning no 6 after already won the league the FA Cup and carling cup

Edited by suzyv

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N...080430-2334.htm

MASCH: THIS TEAM WILL REACH MANY FINALS

Jimmy Rice at Stamford Bridge 30 April 2008

Javier Mascherano has spoken of his pain after Liverpool's European dream ended for another year – but insisted he and his teammates could reach many finals in the years to come.

The Argentina international felt the Reds were more than a match for Chelsea in both legs despite losing 4-3 on aggregate.

And he claimed that, despite missing out this time, the current Liverpool squad was capable of conquering Europe once more over the next few years.

Mascherano told Liverpoolfc.tv: "It is very painful. We showed character and personality, so it's difficult to take because we played well and lost.

"We played at Anfield and the result was not so good, but here at Stamford Bridge we gave everything. We couldn't have done more.

"We thought we could go on to win the game after Fernando Torres scored because we had two or three chances but everything changed with the penalty.

"This time was not for us but I will go home knowing that we played well and gave everything.

"If we continue the way we have, we will bring titles to Liverpool. This is a young team and today we showed character. We played well and now we need to continue improving."

We are going to win the league

Why stop there? To be honest I could see us winning both the league and CL next season providing we don't lose Rafa, and he gets backing the market this summer. I would say we could do the treble (CL, Prem, FA) but I don't think Rafa really rates the domestic cups, and certainly not over the Prem or CL.

The crap thing is there aren't any other sports to watch all summer except Basketball, which will be over soon. Once that ends there isn't anything to be excited about until we kick off again sometime in August.

Why stop there? To be honest I could see us winning both the league and CL next season providing we don't lose Rafa, and he gets backing the market this summer. I would say we could do the treble (CL, Prem, FA) but I don't think Rafa really rates the domestic cups, and certainly not over the Prem or CL.

The crap thing is there aren't any other sports to watch all summer except Basketball, which will be over soon. Once that ends there isn't anything to be excited about until we kick off again sometime in August.

Euro 2008.

Euro 2008.

Yea, I suppose, but it's not quite the same thought is it? I'm not saying that because England is out or anything of the sort (I'm not even english) but when it comes to proper football nothing compares to watching Liverpool for me. I mean these results can completey ruin my week or make it the best ever even if everything else is s***. With internationals the passion just isn't as strong, even during the world cup. Hopefully there will be some entertaining games though as it beats mid-season Baseball any day.

Now that I think about it, it's great that England is out as Stevie will have a normal offseason and depending on how this hamstring thing plays out with Torres I may be hoping for an early exit from Spain as well, even if it would ruin the competition.

Thanks for the reminder though.

Yea, I suppose, but it's not quite the same thought is it? I'm not saying that because England is out or anything of the sort (I'm not even english) but when it comes to proper football nothing compares to watching Liverpool for me. I mean these results can completey ruin my week or make it the best ever even if everything else is s***. With internationals the passion just isn't as strong, even during the world cup. Hopefully there will be some entertaining games though as it beats mid-season Baseball any day.

Now that I think about it, it's great that England is out as Stevie will have a normal offseason and depending on how this hamstring thing plays out with Torres I may be hoping for an early exit from Spain as well, even if it would ruin the competition.

Thanks for the reminder though.

Obviously its nothing like when Liverpool are playing. Just a decent sideshow to pass the time.