By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Mobile phones

Bailo

Any recommendations? Had mine stolen tonight, been on giffgaff so no replacement and c***ing insurance excess is £200, not going to cover a 5 year old 3GS.

Reckon it's more economical to buy a phone unlocked, new upfront than get tied into another contract, another iPhone would be easy to swap but quite interesting in the Samsungs as well.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/

I have an iPhone 5 and it's fine.

But I briefly had the Galaxy S4 and it was f***ing boss. Get one.

Bosser than the iPhone? What made it better (if you can be bothered to indulge me)? I know literally nothing about new phones, thought I'd run this last one into the ground.

The screen's bigger.

Other than that, it 's hard to say. They're probably much the same. I just loved that phone.

How big is it? Can it fit into your pocket? Some of these Samsungs seem absolutely f***ing massive.

If I do go for a Galaxy, how easy is it to get music off iTunes and onto my phone? And is music available DRM-free on Samsung's equivalent store?

Seems to be easier to just get another iPhone but they a) cost more and b) that's what THEY want you to think.

If I do go for a Galaxy, how easy is it to get music off iTunes and onto my phone?

Not sure if this applies to you but there's often confusion about that: the music in "iTunes" is simply in a folder somewhere, you can point any other device at that folder, be it a mp3 player purely or a phone and it will then play that music - with some provisos: your new device may only play a limited amount of formats and if you've used the iTunes Store to download music, it may not read that format (aac) but, in this case, the Samsung S4 does play AAC files. Note, from within iTunes you can convert to the more widely used mp3 format anyhow.

The confusion I referred to is that on your iPhone itself, the music is tagged and named differently, so it is difficult to get music from the iPhone to another phone, but not from iTunes to another phone. Another thing is that at one point in the past, iTunes downloads had drm on them which made transfers impossible but that's gone now and, if you do have songs still in a "protected" format, you can re-download them to strip that away, then transfer

Don't forget though, if you do switch, that apps you may have bought for the iPhone won't transfer to another device and you won't get the automatic free texting to mates etc with iPhones.

Edited by Mr Kite

Not sure if this applies to you but there's often confusion about that: the music in "iTunes" is simply in a folder somewhere, you can point any other device at that folder, be it a mp3 player purely or a phone and it will then play that music - with some provisos: your new device may only play a limited amount of formats and if you've used the iTunes Store to download music, it may not read that format (aac) but, in this case, the Samsung S4 does play AAC files. Note, from within iTunes you can convert to the more widely used mp3 format anyhow.

The confusion I referred to is that on your iPhone itself, the music is tagged and named differently, so it is difficult to get music from the iPhone to another phone, but not from iTunes to another phone. Another thing is that at one point in the past, iTunes downloads had drm on them which made transfers impossible but that's gone now and, if you do have songs still in a "protected" format, you can re-download them to strip that away, then transfer

Don't forget though, if you do switch, that apps you may have bought for the iPhone won't transfer to another device and you won't get the automatic free texting to mates etc with iPhones.

That's really helpful, thanks. One of my biggest concerns is moving away from iTunes - as much as I hate it (and I'll still have my 80GB iPod), all my apps, my wife's apps and our entire music collection are on there.

Looks like it'll be between the S4 and an iPhone 4 (5 doesn't seem worth the extra cost). KAMF is in the S4 camp, any other thoughts anyone?

I have nexus does everything I need it to do

So do I, you can get one new from Google for less than £300 as well. I much prefer the pure android experience now, hate what Samsung do to it.

Google are actually planning to sell both the Galaxy S4 and HTC One with stock Android soon though.

I'll probably get the S4 when my current contract expires in October. The S2 has kept me happy enough for the last 20 months. I don't do much with mine tbh. Use the ipad for internet and apps, and the ipod for music.

That's really helpful, thanks. One of my biggest concerns is moving away from iTunes - as much as I hate it (and I'll still have my 80GB iPod), all my apps, my wife's apps and our entire music collection are on there.

Looks like it'll be between the S4 and an iPhone 4 (5 doesn't seem worth the extra cost). KAMF is in the S4 camp, any other thoughts anyone?

Why would you have to move away from Itunes?

Its just software...

You can use Google Music, it installs some software on your pc which syncs your iTunes music folder with the Google Music cloud.

So when you open up Google Music on your phone all your music is there.

I think someone on these forums did a similar move and they used something called DoubleTwist...

Edited by Owen1978

Isn're there something like songs purchased pre 2009 can't be played on other devices?

Isn're there something like songs purchased pre 2009 can't be played on other devices?

yeah they removed DRM about that time so the other stuff can't be played elsewhere, I believe that you can request update from itunes given that they were also 128kbps rather than 256. Having dealt with itunes support though I wouldn't unless it was absolutely necessary.

If you have a mac and an android it get's trickier