By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Stellarium

Swan Red

I'm looking for a telescope (anyone got one? know much abut them?) and came across this gem.

http://stellarium.org/

with a wiki

http://stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Allows you to manually input your location, or anywhere else for that matter, and get a view of the sky based on a pretty substantial database. It's not got some of the flashier notes that some of the android and ios apps have but I'm reliably informed it's used both educationally and by amateur astronomy groups for planning viewing.

Seems pretty good to me

It wasn't there when I was. Just checked though and it looks very good.

I found this while researching telescopes and decided to see just how interested I was before getting one. It's really good like I've not checked out any of the mobile apps but this seems really comprehensive with a gig of db's

Nice one. I went to a planetarium for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely loved it. Going to go to The Space Centre in Leicester at some point as it is apparently the biggest one in the country?

Yeh think it is. Went to Jodrell Bank with school when I was a kid it was brilliant

Lived in Leicester, just off London Rd by the racecourse, from 98-2003. Went to the Spacecentre while I was there. It's ok, but will obviously suffer by comparison if you've been to the Kennedy Space Centre.

The Starwalk app for the iPad is good.

Edited by Billy Dane

I'm looking for a telescope (anyone got one? know much abut them?) and came across this gem.

http://stellarium.org/

with a wiki

http://stellarium.or...x.php/Main_Page

Allows you to manually input your location, or anywhere else for that matter, and get a view of the sky based on a pretty substantial database. It's not got some of the flashier notes that some of the android and ios apps have but I'm reliably informed it's used both educationally and by amateur astronomy groups for planning viewing.

Seems pretty good to me

Just got this, Celestia and Open Universe too. There goes the slim likelihood of productivity today.

All these 40 year olds remembering blowing away their grants in the local bars...... :)

I really enjoyed the Space center when we took our two. Luckily we got there early as the queues were horriffic by midday. And yes, it is nothing compared to Cape Kennedy, but still worth a vist IMO.

The star walk app is really good, had it for ages on the iphone.

On the subject of telescopes, we are looking at getting one of the eldest for Christmas so if anyone had any recommendations, probably on a far lower budget than Swan Red as well (as we all seem to be hijacking this thread, sorry SR) it would be great :)

All these 40 year olds remembering blowing away their grants in the local bars...... :)

I really enjoyed the Space center when we took our two. Luckily we got there early as the queues were horriffic by midday. And yes, it is nothing compared to Cape Kennedy, but still worth a vist IMO.

The star walk app is really good, had it for ages on the iphone.

On the subject of telescopes, we are looking at getting one of the eldest for Christmas so if anyone had any recommendations, probably on a far lower budget than Swan Red as well (as we all seem to be hijacking this thread, sorry SR) it would be great :)

Hijacking is what this thread is for :)

The thing to know with regards a telescope is what you want it for, where and when it's going to be used and what you want to look at. Vixon is a name that seems to be getting some credit and is cheaper than Meade and Celestron that seem the best known. Computerised scopes make stuff a lot easier to find and you can spend a while trying to align something manually but a lot of the money is in the mechanics rather than the optics. Stands are considered at least as important as the scopes up the order as well.

Weirdly the LIDL scopes get a good press from the people on the astronomy forum on boards.ie

Hijacking is what this thread is for :)

The thing to know with regards a telescope is what you want it for, where and when it's going to be used and what you want to look at. Vixon is a name that seems to be getting some credit and is cheaper than Meade and Celestron that seem the best known. Computerised scopes make stuff a lot easier to find and you can spend a while trying to align something manually but a lot of the money is in the mechanics rather than the optics. Stands are considered at least as important as the scopes up the order as well.

Weirdly the LIDL scopes get a good press from the people on the astronomy forum on boards.ie

Cheers :-)

Will have a Google and see what I find

Entry-level Vixen telescope

bought that for my eldest (she is 11). She expressed an interest and it is not expensive enough to regret if she gives up, but is good enough to encourage her if she decides she loves it and wants to progress to the pricier models. We used it to see some great detail of the moon last night - clear sky and the Harvest moon out so lots to see.

• 1 month later...

Did the planetarium at the observatory in Armagh at the weekend and it was pretty good. Missed the rocket-building activity by about half an hour, ended up going to two planetarium shows. The exhibition itself is pretty limited but enough to keep you occupied before you go into the planetarium. First one had a voiceover by Liam Neeson (there's a coup) and was more about the Earth. Kind of like watching a decent Discovery programme projected on the dome ... some nice CGI and surround effects. The next one was about how to read the night sky at the moment, narrated by one of the staff basically using a glorified version of the free software linked in this thread, but quite well done. They have a kind of a scale model of the solar system in the grounds out the back which was a nice way to finish (lovely view of Armagh cathedral at the end).

Each show was £20 for two adults and two children, maybe a bit steep for just over half an hour but if even one of them is an astronomy nut it's good value. Would recommend it.