By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Bilbao

johngibo YPC

Anyone stayed anywhere nice or what?

Only doing one night. Just gonna smash that museum thing

Any decent bars/restaurants I simply can't miss?

where you flying from? I really want to go to that part of Spain but don't fancy trekking to Stansted for the flight.

Edited by muleskinner

Come with me and my bird. What could possibly go wrong

It will be hilarious

I'm all for it but the missus thinks I'm a bit weird (well, weirder) wanting to go off for the wknd with a lad from the internet and his bird. So, I'll have to say no this time.

If its all about the Guggenheim check which day it shuts and don't have your day then... think its a Monday. Transporter bridge thingy is also pretty cool and Museo de Bella Artes is good also. Footy tour's meant to be a good un if you can swing it with the missus. Generally a good walking city loads of cool architecture - up and down the river early evening is good.

Loads of good pintxo (tapas) joints in the Old Town, will have a think about specifics.

Didn't stay there but Hesperia hotel looks really cool and is in a good spot between El Gugg and the old town. Was also a really good pintxo joint on the way from there to the old town.

Plentzia is a nice (quiet) seaside town at the end of the metro.

Don't get the train to San Sebastian, bus it!

Gibo - can safely say that you will love San Sebastian,

Stayed there when I went to Pamplona for the bull run.

When are you going? My boss goes there quite a lot and a few decent restaurants

I can ask for some recommendations if you want

If its all about the Guggenheim check which day it shuts and don't have your day then... think its a Monday. Transporter bridge thingy is also pretty cool and Museo de Bella Artes is good also. Footy tour's meant to be a good un if you can swing it with the missus. Generally a good walking city loads of cool architecture - up and down the river early evening is good.

Loads of good pintxo (tapas) joints in the Old Town, will have a think about specifics.

Didn't stay there but Hesperia hotel looks really cool and is in a good spot between El Gugg and the old town. Was also a really good pintxo joint on the way from there to the old town.

Plentzia is a nice (quiet) seaside town at the end of the metro.

Don't get the train to San Sebastian, bus it!

Stayed at that Hesperia - decent enough and perfect location. We just wandered around the old town popping into little bars and that - great place. Friendly place, apart from the one street we walked down full of rockers ralphing into the gutter.

• 6 years later...

did an airbnb in San Sebastian, which was great. 10 min from the beach.

Pretty much everywhere the food is great, but Mugaritz is one of the top in the world.

Atari Akademy In old town was our fave. Atari (It's the test kitchen for Atari Gastroteka ) 

Bilbao was a lot 'grittier' than San Sebastian. 

Well the wife is vegan but she can eat chips and olives whilst she watches me gorge myself on meat and fish.

Just after the usual stuff really, decent restaurants/tapas/pintxos, bars, places to get a decent glass of local wine.

Hotels or apartments.

I think Sociedad are at home when we are there. So, I'll probably try and get a ticket for the match.

I've been there a few times on business

Antonio's is a nice restaurant which is on Ledesma, and I stayed at Hotel Mercure which is on Jardines De Albia. Don't get breakfast there, rather go to the little cafe across the road for some real decent food at small prices.

Taxi to Bilbao from the Airport is about 15-20 Euro.

I enjoyed it massively, Guggenheim is about 15 minute walk from the hotel.

The best places to eat in San Sebastian were Bordi Berri (best pintxos), Atari Gastroteka and Bodegon Alejandro and all of these are in the old town. Outside of the old town - Arenalas and Bar Antonio are lovely. Everything is San Sebastian is no more than a 10 min walk - unless you go out to the Michelin starred places.