By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

music production software

Eskimo

Looking for something decent but easy to use as its all new to me, any recommendations?

Like the looks of Komplete 7, tried the demo but as yet I don't have a midi keyboard so not really been able to do much with it, also my laptops not that keen :D

ta..

Style of music or what I want from the software?

Both really. Are you looking to do dance music or do you want to put guitars and vocals in? Pro-tools and Logic are the most widely used in the industry, you could probably pick up a second hand copy of Pro-Tools LE with an M-Box (the sound card interface needed to operate it) for a price within your budget. Logic only operates on Apple but it's very user friendly and comes with a huge range of synths and loops which make creating music much easier. The price of that is about £350 but you get a ridiculous amount for that. Loads of hip-hop and dance songs are made with logic for that reason, the drum loop from Rihanna's Umbrella is straight from Logic for example.Logic Express is a lighter version available for just over £100.

Reason is pretty great too for music creation, you can probably pick up a copy for free if you know where to look.

Both really. Are you looking to do dance music or do you want to put guitars and vocals in? Pro-tools and Logic are the most widely used in the industry, you could probably pick up a second hand copy of Pro-Tools LE with an M-Box (the sound card interface needed to operate it) for a price within your budget. Logic only operates on Apple but it's very user friendly and comes with a huge range of synths and loops which make creating music much easier. The price of that is about £350 but you get a ridiculous amount for that. Loads of hip-hop and dance songs are made with logic for that reason, the drum loop from Rihanna's Umbrella is straight from Logic for example.Logic Express is a lighter version available for just over £100.

Reason is pretty great too for music creation, you can probably pick up a copy for free if you know where to look.

Yep dance music, deeper end so a good range of synths is a must also a few old analog sounds wouldn't go amiss either (I guess most come with some as standard).

Never used software before, knowledge extends to an old Korg worksation and a few synths which have been gathering dust in the loft for 15 plus years and now that I have more time I want to pick it up again. So I'd say user friendly is a must but nothing too basic that say in 6 months time you are looking to upgrade.

The one I've been looking at is the Komplete 7 Elements.

I think Komplete only comes with instruments and effects. You'll need another application like those mentioned above (Protools, Logic blah blah) to piece the sounds together into songs. If you're on a mac you already have Garageband, which is very basic but it's a start.

Edited by drdooom

I think Komplete only comes with instruments and effects. You'll need another application like those mentioned above (Protools, Logic blah blah) to piece the sounds together into songs. If you're on a mac you already have Garageband, which is very basic but it's a start.

Yeah which is a draw back.

Had a look at Logic since posting, also spoke to a fella at the local music store and he seems to think it would be ideal.

Yep dance music, deeper end so a good range of synths is a must also a few old analog sounds wouldn't go amiss either (I guess most come with some as standard).

Never used software before, knowledge extends to an old Korg worksation and a few synths which have been gathering dust in the loft for 15 plus years and now that I have more time I want to pick it up again. So I'd say user friendly is a must but nothing too basic that say in 6 months time you are looking to upgrade.

The one I've been looking at is the Komplete 7 Elements.

If you're on a Mac then Logic seems a no-brainer. It's really good value for what you get, the equivalent Pro-Tools setup would cost thousands and need a powerful G5 machine with special sound cards.

If you're on a Mac then Logic seems a no-brainer. It's really good value for what you get, the equivalent Pro-Tools setup would cost thousands and need a powerful G5 machine with special sound cards.

Yeah having had a look I think you are right and I can add Komplete bundles down the line if needed...ta

i agree with this. Oh for teh days of Octamed on the Amiga 1200, it was just so easy then...

A lot of the lads on soundcloud recommend Ableton because it's easy to get going with, but has a load of depth as well.

Check out the website there's a load of good videos one with Jazzy Jeff talking about using it as a studio. For pure nerd factor the Henrik Schwartz vid is great as well.

FL Studio. Easy to get into, cheap and will last you ages. Supports vst plugins, ASIO, midi, and has some great native plugins.

As well as a fully fledged drum sequencer/piano roll it also records live stuff (soundcard drivers permitting)

Lifetime free updates also included, bought it about 7 years ago haven't paid a single penny for update despite massive improvements in functionality.

Looky here

Edited by Dave A

• 2 weeks later...

No worries, glad you like it. I'm pretty new to it myself but it I found it very easy to use. Have a look on Youtube there are some good tutorial videos. Have a look at doing a Logic 101 or 110 course as well.

So far just been getting familiar with the layout and playing around in the arrange area, put together a nasty little track using their loops/sounds :D and last night spent a couple of hours using piano roll, chopping up a few sounds as well as importing some of my own which was good fun.

Like you say the basics seem fairly easy and so far have managed to work out what I'm doing without looking at the manual, which is surprising for me anyways! Think I'll bumble along like this for a month or so before getting into the more complex stuff which I know is going to be more taxing but overall I love it..no doubt I will then be checking out youtube etc.