By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Ford Focus - struggling to accelerate

Cheesecake

I have a 54 reg Focus 1.4L. Last week I noticed a subtle lack of acceleration as I went up a hill in second gear as I changed into 3rd, as I was almost out of fuel (driven about 8 miles since fuel light went on) I figured I was running on fumes so filled up.

Since then the problem of lack of acceleration on upward enclines has worsened and tonight even on level roads it would struggle to accelerate from an idle start at traffic lights and struggle to get above 1500revs/10mph and then would struggle for any acceleration - and really struggle to get above 15 miles per hour even with foot to the floor on a level road for 30 seconds or more.

Anyone have any ideas what is wrong? I had it in first and second gear and floored the pedal but the damn thing just shook and trundeld along at 10mph decreasing as it went

I've tried hitting it with a hammer but that hasnt helped... and the rev counter hasnt even approached 2000

Edited by DPD1973

Not sure if the Ford Focus has one, but I know some newer cars have various computer systems that check the performance of the car and, if something is amiss, will put it onto 'reduced performance'. Could be that?

eric - any ideas how I could tell if thats the case - no dashboard warning lights are coming on.

eric - any ideas how I could tell if thats the case - no dashboard warning lights are coming on.

I'm afraid I've already given you the sum total of my car knowledge without rewording the song 'the wheels on the bus'. At the risk of repeating an earlier contributor; do you know a reputable garage?

I'm afraid I've already given you the sum total of my car knowledge without rewording the song 'the wheels on the bus'. At the risk of repeating an earlier contributor; do you know a reputable garage?

only the one where it was serviced less that 6 weeks ago... I dont hold out much hope but that place was a kwikfit, to be honest I cant afford to take it to a ford garage and be charged the premium, funds be tight. I have the 'service form' so if anyone can offer some kind of 'it could be this or that' I could check aginst the service form to see if they changed that at the time of service. they changed spark plugs etc but as you said 'the sum total of my knowledge' too.....

that sounds bad, how bad we talking? whoppingly expensive?any chance it could be the fuel filter?

If you were running on vapours it might have sooked some s**** into filter or carb, get that checked first.

if its the cylinder....flog it.

It could be almost anything to be honest.. You'd normally get a CEL (Check Engine Light) light up if it's something being monitored with a sensor though.

Is it always there, or only when warm/cold etc.. Does the engine rev freely when parked up, is it only under load that you see the problem?

Take it for a spin around the block and have the issue occur a bit, then pull over and look under the car, is the cat glowing? It sounds like a blocked cat to me.

As usual, a load of useless suggestions until I show up

is your car insured? yes? excellent....now stick it to the man - he does the same to you whenever he gets the chance

and a tip: when filling out the claim form, the car was running fine, particularly the acceleration

It could be the sensor under the accelerator. If it goes it means that there isn't enough fuel being pumped as the car doesn't know that you are pushing the accelerator that much. Happened to someone I know who had the same car I believe.

Sorry for the daft answer like :unsure: