By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Heart Bypass

Superjay

Me aul fella hasn't been doing great over the last few years but in recent months he's got worse.

Over the past 15 weeks he's had 5 stents put into his heart and although they have been making some difference he is still breathless and in pain. Today the docs have told him that it looks like the 1 dead artery is the main problem and needs a bypass.

I've been on all the heart websites etc. trying to get some idea of the risk involved and how likely/unlikely it is for anything to go wrong. With no joy.

He's 55

Not obese but does a have a little weight on him.

Hasn't smoked in decades.

Anyone have any idea the risks etc.?

Proper bittersweet day this for our family.

My old man died at 51 of a heart attack, so I have every sympathy.

heart bypasses are extremely common nowadays, and when you look at some of the people who've had them in the past and are now fighting fit - look at Souness.

However, you should really be demanding time with the cardiologist on this. Only his own individual circumstances will determine whether it's a good idea, but in general, these operations are routine and very successful.

All the best, mate.

Without going all Monty Python on Gerry, my father-in-law had a quadruple by pass 7 years ago, he's not exactly fit as a fiddle at 75 now but he had smoked in excess of 40 a day plus he is asthmatic and he'd been diagosed with angina 10 years prior to that . He didn't stop smoking until my missus told him he couldn't see his first grandchild, 2 years prior to his bypass, unless he did which was the only thing that made him stop.

There can be a lot of related complications with major heart surgery - liver and kidney problems but they can, as posted earlier, do incredible things these days and by-passes are almost routine surgery now.

my da got the stents put in when he had a heart attack, unfortunately the medicine that they gave him to keep the blood thin caused bleeding in the brain (2% chance of this happening) which went unnoticed for the night...he died 4 days later.

good luck with your Da Jay

my da got the stents put in when he had a heart attack, unfortunately the medicine that they gave him to keep the blood thin caused bleeding in the brain (2% chance of this happening) which went unnoticed for the night...he died 4 days later.

good luck with your Da Jay

Jesus sorry to here that OM.

my Dad had a triple bypass in his mid 60s

he's still going strong now well into his 70s, plays golf 3 times a week off a 10 handicap, the fecker

Me aul lad plays off 10 (well he did until recently) He can't get out anymore as he needs a buggy to get around. He says one of the worst things is seeing 70 year olds bomb past him on the course when he needs to stop every 10 or 15 mins. I suppose 1 upside is it will give me time to get my handicap down so the f***er doesn't keep trashing me with his spanner hurley grip.

It looks an unbelievably gruesome operation, especially when they saw through the sternum and crack it open with the chest spreader, the noise makes you want to weep. But, it is one of the most commonly performed procedures in the world so whoever is doing it, is going to be very experienced at doing it so don't worry. A long-term study looked at a large group of people in two categories; those who'd had open-heart surgery and those who hadn't had open-heart surgery and then the two arms were followed out to the literal end. It transpires, unequivocably, that those who've had the open-heart surgery, for reasons no-one has yet satisfactorilly answered, live, on average, 18 months longer than those who don't. And that's all cause deaths, not cardiac-related.

They can do miracles these days with that kind of surgery mate. Your dad should still have a good long life to look forward to.

Completely with Des on this. Two of my colleagues had by passes - one a triple two years back - and were back at work faster than I would have believed, even knowing how 'routine' such a major procedure is nowadays. Let's put it this way - the odds for once are very heavily stacked in your Dad's favour and his life should improve no end.

best wishes to him, mate - and yourself.

My ol' man is 84 on 29th October next. He had a quadruple bypass in July last year (he was 82). He's been in great form since. Doctors told him people in their 90s have come through such ops very successfully.

Edited by dorgie

An old guy plays five aside with us, 76 he is.(granted he does not run about much but hope I am still breathing at that age)

Fit as a butchers dog, not an ounce of fat on him and hard as nails.

Had a triple by pass about 5 years ago.

Was back playing within 4 months, doctors advised him to take it easy for a wee while so he only came to fives once a week instead of the twice he played before. :o:o

An old guy plays five aside with us, 76 he is.(granted he does not run about much but hope I am still breathing at that age)

Fit as a butchers dog, not an ounce of fat on him and hard as nails.

Had a triple by pass about 5 years ago.

Was back playing within 4 months, doctors advised him to take it easy for a wee while so he only came to fives once a week instead of the twice he played before. :o:o

he plays 5 aside at 76! f***ing hell!