By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

West Indies vs Astrayya

cricinfo

West Indies v Australia, 3rd Test, Barbados, 4th day

'We should win' - Marshall

Cricinfo staff

June 15, 2008

A confident Xavier Marshall has tipped a world record and a West Indies victory after his career-high 85 kept the pressure on Australia entering the final day. Set 475 by Ricky Ponting, the hosts were 235 for 3 at stumps, with the safe hands of Shivnarine Chanderpaul guiding the chase following Marshall's dismissal.

I think the Windies can do it! No Warne or McGrath to save Australia on the last day.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia 251 & 439/5d

West Indies 216 & 302/3 (82.4 ov)

West Indies require another 173 runs with 7 wickets remaining

Chanderpaul 50 no

Bravo 69 no

current partnership 122 runs

new ball is due but has not been taken yet

new ball does the trick

83.3 Clark to Chanderpaul, OUT, got him! Clark's removed Chanderpaul, trapped in front to a quick, straight ball on middle-and-leg. Perhaps a touch high, but the decision's been made

S Chanderpaul lbw b Clark 50 (131b 5x4 0x6) SR: 38.16

Even though they're going to lose 2-0, Windies have been relatively competetive this series. Not sure if that is down to a slight resurgence on their part or that the convicts have slipped a bit. Certainly with the likes of Langer, McGrath, Gilchrist and Warne having gone they've got some pretty big shoes to fill and the intimidation factor has gone a bit.

I really wish Marlon Samuels hadn't stupidly got himself banned. The Windies team have looked a much tougher and more competitive outfit with Sarwan and Gayle at the helm, and I'd have liked to have seen how they fared with all their best players out there.

They seem to be grinding out some very positive performances despite only having three international class batsmen (Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul), one outstanding all rounder (Bravo) and two bowlers who only very occasionally look international class (Taylor, Edwards). In fact, considering that they depend entirely on these players, particularly the first four, their performances have been remarkable. I'd love to see how competitive they could be if they had the benefit of a fourth top class batsman, which Samuels could well have become under the new leadership.

Edited by Aritro

not everyone's cup of tea but i love this from Pietersen

And Pietersen is determined that England do not let up against New Zealand in the remaining one-day fixtures.

"What the guys have done here, they've absolutely demolished New Zealand again. We want to make this a real tough trip for people coming here," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"We hammered them in the Test matches, we hammered them in the Twenty20, we hammered them again tonight, and we want to keep hammering them and send them home with absolutely nothing.

"5-0 would be great. They beat us in the one-dayers in New Zealand so we want to get it back."

we'll probably lose 4-1 now but, still.... :D

I really wish Marlon Samuels hadn't stupidly got himself banned. The Windies team have looked a much tougher and more competitive outfit with Sarwan and Gayle at the helm, and I'd have liked to have seen how they fared with all their best players out there.

They seem to be grinding out some very positive performances despite only having three international class batsmen (Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul), one outstanding all rounder (Bravo) and two bowlers who only very occasionally look international class (Taylor, Edwards). In fact, considering that they depend entirely on these players, particularly the first four, their performances have been remarkable. I'd love to see how competitive they could be if they had the benefit of a fourth top class batsman, which Samuels could well have become under the new leadership.

Yep, Samuels looked quality when they were out here. He really worked hard for his runs. Ended top of the Windies averages I think.