By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Danish Football....

Former flagship of Danish football, Brøndby IF have since the departure of Michael Laudrup in 05 gone to shambles. I have followed the team all through Denmark while endured the humiliation of the rival club FC Copenhagen (FCK).

Not only have Copenhagen taken the championship in 06, and in 07 topping us with a CL qualification, and victory against United and Celtic. Brøndby were in deep crisis.

Players like, Elmander, Agger, Skoubo and Kahlenberg left the club, whilst the replacements didn't pick up the legacy whilst at one point, Brøndby had 15 players on the injury list.

Locker room issues slowly deteriorated the Brøndby way and culminated in an all-out brawl on the pitch (a la Bowyer and Dyer) between former Faxe (Brøndby Kop end) hero Peter Madsen and new boy Morten Duncan Rasmussen.

Video here: BRAWL

But then in the last months of 2007 something changed.

A new captain was installed, Stefan Gislason. Former hierarchy was dismantled and a fresh Brøndby squad started to get results. An eighteen month no wins away streak was finally broken when the boys won 3-2 away at Viborg.

At the same time FC Copenhagen’s grip on the Danish football scene was not what it used to be. Back in the days FCK hired Fulham manager Roy Hogdson.

And while he gave them the league title, he also implemented a new style of football also called the “Norwegian” style of football, a style heavily focused on defense, and long balls. Whilst Brøndby always play a fresh brand of footy, short-passing with lots of skills, the press wouldn’t criticize Copenhagen.

As long as you win you get away with it. Now FCK weren’t winning anymore. And they still played a boring brand of football. And to much joy FCK crashed out of the UEFA Cup by losing 0-4 at Abeerfukingdeen.

FCK finished the first half at second place, while Brøndby were in 9th. The reinvented Brøndby brand of football continued on the spring side of the calendar. Lots of goals, positive football and some of the new signings showed potential, especially the new captain Stefan Gislason. May 1. 2008 marked the ending of the long slump, The Domestic Cup Final was upon us and Brøndby had qualified.

After a breathtaking match filled with great goals and lots of drama Brøndby snatched the win 5 minutes from time and the curse was broken. Now 5 games from the end, FCK can’t win it anymore, Actually they have only won one in eight :bleh: . We are still at the bottom but clear of relegation, and playing fantastic football. Hopefully we can start the new season in great form. We have the money, and have just clinched the biggest sponsor deal in Denmark at the equivalent of 3mil in your currency a year. And whilst the new sponsor has opened his wallet, he has graciously donated the logo space on the shirt to Unichef.

See next seasons shirt here: 778489081c4143189d20e9e093288c09_sabroe.jpg

We can match any bid in Denmark and we are qualified for Europe. Life is great again. Today BTW we played FC Nordsjælland (won 3-0), and aforementioned Stefan Gislason scored maybe the best goal I have seen live at a football ground.

See the most awesomest goal ever here: OMFG

Oh and we have FCK at home in two weeks time...

Guest Kaizer

Great goal.

But I thought Gislason got a bit of criticism after he arrived from Lyn last summer.

From what you have written it seems like he has turned it around.

Great goal.

But I thought Gislason got a bit of criticism after he arrived from Lyn last summer.

From what you have written it seems like he has turned it around.

When discribing Gislason as a player try to picture a young Hamann important player but not always as flashy. He along with Holmen arrived in the midst of the crisis. And it had to take a couple of months to turn it around. But he was brought in to save the club, and it might have been unfair to rely solely on him to do it.

Edited by Aggermania

I remember Brøndby IF in Europe in late 80s - early 90s. Was a good team, they defeted Torpedo Moscow in UEFA Cup on away goal and impressed me as very well organised. They had that Nigerian Uche playing if I'm not mistaken.

Was on the Faxe yesterday to see this - it went mental afterwards :) It needed something like that to break through the 10 man defensive wall... first half was so boring I was tossing up going to the bar to watch the first half of the Man City game at halftime.

Definitely one of the best goals I have seen live, agreed.

Kaizer: Gislason has definitely grown into his new role as captain and has been playing well. It's good to see that quite a few of the new faces (Gisla, Holmen, von Schleebrugge) seem up for the fight back up the table, are playing well and look happy at the club.

It's still a paper thin squad at Brondby though with mainly youth players to fill in for injuries. Quite some rebuilding to do I think.

He was at Arsenal as a youngster, correct. He is certainly a decent player at Danish league standards. As Aggermania says he is a usually (goal above aside!) not so flashy, playing as holding midfielder doing a lot of work breaking up play and handing the ball over to the likes of Retov to build up attacks.

No way, none of the players are... Fulham recently signed Hangeland, and he was considered to be the best centre back in Denmark, bar Agger... And Hangeland was the guy Pennant strolled past to score two weeks ago...

Championshi Manager all star. Could play in any outfield position except up front. A manager's dream!

Guest Kaizer
No way, none of the players are... Fulham recently signed Hangeland, and he was considered to be the best centre back in Denmark, bar Agger... And Hangeland was the guy Pennant strolled past to score two weeks ago...

Hangeland has done pretty well for Fulham to be honest, and been voted their MOTM more often than not since his arrival.

I think a player like Gislason would have been decent in a team from 11-20.

• 2 weeks later...

So, time for an update. Yesterday was the last chance for Brøndby to save some face in the final derby of the season, FC Copenhagen at home. The big match of the calender, (Liverpool - Man U at Anfield if you will) The match unfortunately had a horrible intro, when a group of Copenhagen Ultras threw fireworks down at the family seats. A young lad was rushed to the hospital. Not cool.

Brøndby had a few important players out due to injury. But the home field advantage would prove to be too much for Copenhagen. I’ve posted the highlights in the bottom for those interested. The second Brøndby goal was perfectly executed.

This concludes a horrible season. But there are bright spots. We won the derby at home, and we won the cup. FCK will finish second or third, but most importantly, even though they spent 8 mil in the last two windows, (Danish record) FCK did not win anything, which is awesome.

Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHMFxDRf4wM

Also press the high quality button. Second goal at 06.00 mins in. Really great...

Edited by Aggermania