By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

iPod Shuffle

Bo Benn

Thinking of getting one for when I'm out running or working out. However I've heard that you HAVE to use iTunes in order to transfer files to and from it. Is there no way I can use it as a portable drive on my PC like my Sony Ericsson phone? Alternatively can I use it as a portable device on winamp? I hate iTunes so much.

Also is there alternative products to Shuffle out there? Ie it has to be very small and lightweight and have a clip-on like Shuffle has so I don't have to wear an extra 'pocket' on my arm to keep the music player as much of my training clothes has no pockets on their own.

It can only play what you load through iTunes

There's alternatives available, a fair few at this stage, that are more light weight than iTunes; e.g. Yamipod gives a kind of file explorer way of doing things. You can also use some plugin or other with WinAmp but I don't know its name ...

You can't drag and drop though Obey, ... well you can actually but your file names won't make sense...

Ultimately, life is just easier if you go with iTunes when using an iPod but there certainly is other ways of doing it if you wish.

[so, for about my fourth edit to this f***ing post, I looked at Winamp's site from my own curiosity and it says that since version 5.2 it has built in support for iPods ...]

Edited by Mr Kite

There's alternatives available, a fair few at this stage, that are more light weight than iTunes; e.g. Yamipod gives a kind of file explorer way of doing things. You can also use some plugin or other with WinAmp but I don't know its name ...

You can't drag and drop though Obey, ... well you can actually but your file names won't make sense...

Ultimately, life is just easier if you go with iTunes when using an iPod but there certainly is other ways of doing it if you wish.

[so, for about my fourth edit to this f***ing post, I looked at Winamp's site from my own curiosity and it says that since version 5.2 it has built in support for iPods ...]

Cheers. I spent a fair amount of time looking for a plugin last night, didn't bother to look if ipod was supported in the original version... :banghead:

It would be pain in the a*** having to install iTunes just for transferring files, especially as I could easily drag and drop files from my winamp library.

Well that didnt take long.

ABA

People buy cos they're classed as stylish.

I but what suits me and is compatable with what i already have.

Got a Sony as it links happily with my laptop.

Guest Raisbeck
People buy cos they're classed as stylish.

I but what suits me and is compatable with what i already have.

Got a Sony as it links happily with my laptop.

What a hero for the unstylish you are.