By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Using Microsoft Outlook files

Will

I want to download files from Microsoft Outlook - and either upload them onto another version of Outlook on my laptop, or into a different package that can read those files. I don't really need to use Outlook for sending or receiving emails, but I want to have somewhere that will store my contacts, calendar and old emails

Any suggestions of either how to get hold of Outlook cheaply, or any alternative package I could use - ta...

I want to download files from Microsoft Outlook - and either upload them onto another version of Outlook on my laptop, or into a different package that can read those files. I don't really need to use Outlook for sending or receiving emails, but I want to have somewhere that will store my contacts, calendar and old emails.

I use Outlook2Mac to get my Calendar, E-Mail and Contacts from work PC to Mac at home, so if you are on Mac, that will work a treat.

If you are on PC, then if you use Thunderbird, this may help from LifeHacker may work well. If you don't use Thunderbird I'd google it (sorry not to be more helpful) - I simply googled 'export outlook files to' and added Thunderbird - my guess is the same search string plus your chosen App should sort you out.

Edited by liveabiglife

Any suggestions of either how to get hold of Outlook cheaply, or any alternative package I could use - ta...

If you've got Kids (or can imagine them if you haven't) I'd try http://www.software4students.co.uk. Just picked up the latest version of Office (includes Outlook on PC version) for under 40 quid. Of course, there are sites where generous people share software (for evaluation purpose, of course) and you could try one of those for an 'even cheaper' alternative.

If you are on PC, then if you use Thunderbird, this may help from LifeHacker may work well. If you don't use Thunderbird I'd google it (sorry not to be more helpful) - I simply googled 'export outlook files to' and added Thunderbird - my guess is the same search string plus your chosen App should sort you out.

PC not Mac

Never heard of Thunderbird or Life Hacker - will have a look....

I use my little USB pen**....£10 from ASDA.

No problems.

** mines a SanDisk one and you can download a program from their web site that's designed for exporting pretty much all your Outlook content. I then transfer it from the USB to my Outlook at home.

Edited by marvinbarcelona

OK, I installed Thunderbird ok and it's picking up my emails but I can't get it to import my contacts. I have them saved as a pst file, but when i ask it to import from Outlook it just says they're aren't any Outlook files - and I can't find how to tell it where to look (just on my desktop...)

Also, does it have a calendar? If not, it's not much use to me and I might take the plunge on Outlook

Also, does it have a calendar? If not, it's not much use to me and I might take the plunge on Outlook

I don't know mate. I endure PCs at work, using Outlook, and haven't used them at home for many years. I would think it utilises Windows' own Address Book for contacts, and as for Calendars, I'm not sure. I just did some Googling to see if it could be done and to hopefully point you in the right direction, but I have to admit that I didn't look in that level of detail (calendars etc). On a Mac, it just sort-of works, so it didn't occur to me it may be less straight forward on Windoze. Oversight on my part ;-).

I've just quickly Googled 'Thunderbird Calendar', and it seems that there are add-ins, and it will be integrated in version 3 due out this year. It's made by the guys who make Firefox, and it seems there are calendars, but they will be add-ins and extensions. If you look down that search string, you should find something useful. It doesn't look like it's going to be a one-click-and-you-are-done operation though.

A more cumbersome way may exist before you throw the towel in, though.You can export your contact list as a .vcf from outlook and then manually import that into your address book in Windows, and you can export your calendar as a csv from outlook and then import that into another calendar app. Clunky, but should work.

Or, seeing as you can get your e-mails, if you have a phone that will sync to PC, do it through that - Sync your phone to your PC to get contacts and calendar (and e-mail if it's a blackberry), and then sync it with your PC at home to get your contacts and calendar across. Again, clunky, but should work.

Your biggest issue will be keeping home and work in sync without too much effort, I reckon. Every time you add a contact or appointment you will have to manually update at home. Instead of that, you could just buy or 'evaluate' Outlook as you said and then just do a back up at work, and restore that back up at home to make the home one the same as work in one easy operation. That would also let you keep personal and work separate by using OUtlook Express (does that still exist?) or Thunderbird, or GoogleMail or whatever, if that is something you would want to do.

For the sake of £40, or some time downloading a torrent, I'd save yourself the pain and get Outlook. Personally I hate Micro$oft with a passion, and hate recommending people use them, but short of buying a Mac (which would obviously be the best, if slightly more expensive, option :) ), it may be the easiest way. M$ are very good at making it very hard for people to break free of their products.

I know I haven't offered a solution as such, but hopefully some of those ideas will help. I'd look into it a bit harder for you, but I have to go to a meeting and need to do some prep for that. If you can't get fixed up, let me know and I'll ask some of the geeks at work if they have more of a clue than me, Sorry can't be more help, but hope you get it sorted.

Edited by liveabiglife

I'm not bothered about syncing on an ongoing basis - as I won't be with this company for long - just want to find a way to store my calendar, contacts and emails between employers, and still be able to access them...

I have a legal copy of Office, but I bought a version without Outlook in it, as I didn't think I'd need it!

Chris - may take you up on that.... you watching the match in town on Saturday, by any chance? :D

I'm not bothered about syncing on an ongoing basis - as I won't be with this company for long - just want to find a way to store my calendar, contacts and emails between employers, and still be able to access them...

Ah, fair enough, didn't realise that. Hope you get it sorted.

I have a legal copy of Office, but I bought a version without Outlook in it, as I didn't think I'd need it!

Chris - may take you up on that.... you watching the match in town on Saturday, by any chance? :D

No I am down in Kent over the weekend. Do you want to pm me or email and I will post it out to you and then I will see you at the City game

Guest Ben G
OK, I installed Thunderbird ok and it's picking up my emails but I can't get it to import my contacts. I have them saved as a pst file, but when i ask it to import from Outlook it just says they're aren't any Outlook files - and I can't find how to tell it where to look (just on my desktop...)

I think Thunderbird uses Outlook directly for the import process so if you don't have Outlook installed I think you need an extension to import contacts, try this > http://snipurl.com/pst2tbird

As for the calendar you can download the lightning extension > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2313

If you're going to use this and you have a gmail account then I'd also recommend using the provider for Google Calendar > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4631

You don't necessarily need this as you can store the calendar locally but the benifit of this approach is that you get a calendar interface similar to Outlooks that you can view/update anywhere you have internet access, either through Thunderbird/Lightning or with just a web browser. I have a laptop that I sometimes work from home on and it's very useful having a synchronised calendar between it and my work PC. There's also useful public calenders you can subscribe to, e.g. LFC fixtures.

• 2 weeks later...
No I am down in Kent over the weekend. Do you want to pm me or email and I will post it out to you and then I will see you at the City game

Received safe and sound - ta

I think Thunderbird uses Outlook directly for the import process so if you don't have Outlook installed I think you need an extension to import contacts, try this > http://snipurl.com/pst2tbird

As for the calendar you can download the lightning extension > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2313

If you're going to use this and you have a gmail account then I'd also recommend using the provider for Google Calendar > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4631

You don't necessarily need this as you can store the calendar locally but the benifit of this approach is that you get a calendar interface similar to Outlooks that you can view/update anywhere you have internet access, either through Thunderbird/Lightning or with just a web browser. I have a laptop that I sometimes work from home on and it's very useful having a synchronised calendar between it and my work PC. There's also useful public calenders you can subscribe to, e.g. LFC fixtures.

That lightning extension to Thunderbird is excellent :thumbs: