Backroom Changes

jimmylibel

Seems to have been a few backroom changes during the close season looking at the profiles on the offal. Obviously Paco Herrarra left but I wonder if we lost anyone else, given how recently some of these guys have started. Few interesting nuggets of info too.

Eduardo Macia joined the Liverpool backroom team in the summer of 2006 after deciding to leave Valencia to take up a new challenge at Anfield.

Eduardo works alongside Frank McParland as joint chief scout for the club and is responsible for scouring the footballing world to keep an eye on potential future Liverpool players.

He worked with Rafael Benitez at Valencia, during which time he held the posts of technical advisor and sporting director.

The La Liga outfit wanted to keep the 32 year old as part of their backroom team, but he was keen to embark on a new challenge on Merseyside.

"I work with Frankie McParland to look for players all over the world," he said. "We are always watching videos, going to games and talking to our scouts. It's a very busy job but Liverpool is a fantastic club and I'm delighted to be here.

"What do I look for in a player? He has to be competitive and aggressive. I don't care what his name is or what reputation he has, it's how he acquits himself on the field which is the most important thing."

(Couldn't be more Rafa-esque thinking that could it?)

Link

Justo Lillo arrived at Anfield in the summer of 2006 to help with the fitness work of the players at Melwood.

He has spent the last eighteen years working in the lower leagues of Spanish football before Pako Ayesteran offered him the opportunity of joining the backroom team at Liverpool.

Justo works primarily looking after the fitness of the reserve team players but occasionally helps out with the first team as well.

"I'm here mainly to work on the fitness of the reserves. That is my responsibility," he said. "I have been working in Spanish football all of my life but as soon as Pako put the idea in my mind to come to Liverpool then it was very exciting. I talked it over with my family and we decided it would be a good move.

"Everyone works extremely hard at Liverpool and we're always planning sessions and what to do with the players in training."

Link

Chris is a member of the physiotherapy team at Melwood after arriving during the 2005-06 campaign.

He graduated from Bradford University in 2000 and then went on to work in the footballing academies of both Manchester City and Leeds United before the chance to come to Liverpool arrived.

"This is a really good job and I know I'm fortunate to be working with such a great club," he says.

"We realise how important our work is because the manager wants the players on the field as often as possible and not with us in the treatment room.

"That's why we spend a lot of time on preventative work with the players and do our best to prevent injuries from happening during training."

Link

This one has been around since last year but thought it was worth posting as well :D

Victor joined the Liverpool backroom team as physiotherapist and osteopath during the 2005-06 season after previously spending his working life in his native Spain.

He graduated as a physiotherapist from Murcia University and then went on to study at the school of osteopathy in Madrid.

His first job in football came with Spanish third division side Deportivo Bala Azul, with whom he spent one season before moving to take up a post as physio with Ciudad de Murcia in 2000, where he spent four years.

The following season he went to Cartagena Promesas before being appointed as a physio at Liverpool in 2005.

"My job is to prepare the players for training, to work with the injured players and to play my part in the fantastic backroom team we have at Liverpool.

"I came here initially for one season but I love it at this club and would give everything about it ten out of ten."

Link