By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Oksana Chusovitina

Guest Scot

But f*cking awesome story. Her kid has leukaemia, couldn't get treatment in Russia. Called an old friend, German gymnastics coach, who got the kid treatment in Germany.

As a 'thank you' this chick - now 33 - competes for Germany in the Olympics this year. The boy's cancer is in remission, she's currently in gold medal position in the individual vault.

Top story.

yep, a truly lovely, emotional, heartwarming story absolutely deserving of the comment 'odd-looking Peter Pan / midget'.

hehe...yeah, sorry about that. She IS odd-looking though...

I hear you on the 'not where you're from' thing, Sion. What made me laugh / get mad this week though was all the hoopla about an American kid who's playing basketball for Russia. She's getting slammed for being a traitor / unpatriotic, even though there's about 400 'Americans' who used to be other nationalities. Cnts.

i didn't hate zola budd, i felt sorry for her. her running in bare feet kind of annoyed me though.

you hear english football fans and even a good few journalists coming out with that 'not where you're from crap' when they see some adopted brasilian line up to play football for japan or poland. . . .then in the next breath they're lauding owen hargreaves and 'understanding his motives'.

i didn't hate zola budd, i felt sorry for her. her running in bare feet kind of annoyed me though.

you hear english football fans and even a good few journalists coming out with that 'not where you're from crap' when they see some adopted brasilian line up to play football for japan or poland. . . .then in the next breath they're lauding owen hargreaves and 'understanding his motives'.

...and half of the England cricket team, including the fecking captain.

I quite liked Zola Budd, f*cking HATED Mary Decker, though.

I know it's completely irrational, but the olympics/athletics is the only time it really annoys me. Don't mind it so much in other sports (except when an Englishman plays for Wales at rugby or vice versa, like those c*nts Rupert Moon and 'Dowey' Morris).

Such a big thing is made of nationality at the olympics that to make a mockery of it seems all the more annoying.

Edited by Paul Caruso

mary decker was kind of preening wasn't she, like she thought she'd be better-suited to dallas or dynasty or something.

i don't really give a monkey's about international sport these days as i'm not particularly patriotic, but i think that the changing nationality thing is much more annoying when it's a team sport than an individual one. tennis, golf or boxing hardly matter as the sportsperson is competing for themself rather than for a country, but in a team sport it generally means the adopted player keeping out someone who legitimately qualifies to play for that nation and has probably spent their entire life working towards achieving that goal.

I think when you couple that aspect of the games with this whole National Medals League thing, it makes the whole debacle (for me) distasteful. I don't remember, when watching this stuff as a kid, been constantly reminded of how many medals USA have versus the Evil Ming (or Evil Borris, etc). Perhaps it just passed me by then but now with people getting "transferred in" to nations just so that nation can win more medals, feels a bit jingo-istic and base.

This is a big debate in Singapore these days...

the womens table tennis team went up against china last night for the team event, all 3 players playing for singapore were chinese nationals until recently... so it was basically china vs china. Only the 2nd tier players have been tempted to move to singapore of course..they lost 3-0 in the finals and celebrated like crazy for getting the silver. but that hasn't stopped the papers from preening of the massive achievement... gone crazy here. i could hear people shouting go singapore whilst the match was going on last night!

To be honest thats not really the same as having athletes from Kenya represnting Qatar, or having that Brazilian player getting a passport so he can play for Poland

On a similar note, there is a 16 year old friend of the family round visiting last week and he is going through a really bitter phase (at least I hope it is a phase) where he hates everyone, everything is "crap" and if he can't be a football manager he doesn't want to do anything in life.

He also likes to think he is very knowledgable but he is very easily led. His latest thing was attacking the Poles and Albanians who he says are taking over our country and trotting out the usual lines like they should all f*** off back home etc. and how they shoudl be aid the minimum wage and no more for as long as they stay in this country.

I pretended to change the subject to football (he's an avid manc) and got him to give me his opinions on the team and squad before subtly asking his opinion on Kuszczak - guess what? Feckin legend, worth every penny etc......

He was fairly and squarely stumped when I quickly brought it back to our previous topic of conversation.

t***!

yep, a truly lovely, emotional, heartwarming story absolutely deserving of the comment 'odd-looking Peter Pan / midget'.

To be fair, he was kind enough to miss out 'androgynous' in his description.

I liked it when Mary Decker fell over and cried. She didn't look very Dallas or Dynasty then.

Edited by Zoob

To be fair, he was kind enough to miss out 'androgynous' in his description.

I liked it when Mary Decker fell over and cried. She didn't look very Dallas or Dynasty then.

for me it was the fact that she got put out of the race by effectively a schoolgirl who'd forgotten her kit that day.