By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Mark Oaten resigns over rent boy affair

Bailo

I don't think it's arrogance that prevents people like Oaten from being 'indiscreet' - I think it's fear of reaction from people. Just take Kennedy being ousted for a drink problem he's getting treated for, still in this day and age people are still scared of their sexuality getting out in public.

When do you reckon we'll have our first openly gay PM?

I don't think it's arrogance that prevents people like Oaten from being 'indiscreet' - I think it's fear of reaction from people. Just take Kennedy being ousted for a drink problem he's getting treated for, still in this day and age people are still scared of their sexuality getting out in public.

When do you reckon we'll have our first openly gay PM?

But don't you think it's crazy that - having been indiscreet - he runs for the party leadership. It's that that smacks of arrogance, or plain stupidity. How he thought it would not come up I do not know...

But don't you think it's crazy that - having been indiscreet - he runs for the party leadership. It's that that smacks of arrogance, or plain stupidity. How he thought it would not come up I do not know...

That's true I guess, maybe why he only got a single backer?

I dunno, things like this just leave a bitter taste in my mouth, no-one wins apart from the tabloid press who sell a few more papers. His family will be going through hell right now, he will for having an affair which a fair percentage of this country will be doing this evening anyway.

I also f***ing detest the way it's somehow more scandalous or salacious as it's two guys involved.

That's true I guess, maybe why he only got a single backer?

I dunno, things like this just leave a bitter taste in my mouth, no-one wins apart from the tabloid press who sell a few more papers. His family will be going through hell right now, he will for having an affair which a fair percentage of this country will be doing this evening anyway.

I also f***ing detest the way it's somehow more scandalous or salacious as it's two guys involved.

LOL at your first sentence. Fnar.

Agree completely on the rest, Djibril. I think he's a fool for putting his family in that position, but there's no fun in this. I'm interested to know who knew all this time (for they did) and chose now to release the info. As always, who's the beneficiary and you have a winner...

LOL at your first sentence. Fnar.

Agree completely on the rest, Djibril. I think he's a fool for putting his family in that position, but there's no fun in this. I'm interested to know who knew all this time (for they did) and chose now to release the info. As always, who's the beneficiary and you have a winner...

And the second ;)

You weren't a big fan of his were you? Have to admit, rarely saw him talk much and wouldn't have a clue about his politics apart from he's a Lib Dem!

I wouldn't be surprised if his withdrawl had something to do with this as well, it's so bloody Machiavellian in Westminster I wouldn't put it past someone. Hurting the Lib Dems though, makes them look disorganised - shame as since I could vote I've put my hope into them being a viable opposition one day.

And the second ;)

You weren't a big fan of his were you? Have to admit, rarely saw him talk much and wouldn't have a clue about his politics apart from he's a Lib Dem!

I wouldn't be surprised if his withdrawl had something to do with this as well, it's so bloody Machiavellian in Westminster I wouldn't put it past someone. Hurting the Lib Dems though, makes them look disorganised - shame as since I could vote I've put my hope into them being a viable opposition one day.

I don't know much about him to be honest. I remember him for winning the Winchester seat by a single vote. Someone stitched him up here. Can't see past auld Ming now for the leadership.

I don't know much about him to be honest. I remember him for winning the Winchester seat by a single vote. Someone stitched him up here. Can't see past auld Ming now for the leadership.

I like Ming, think he'd be a good leader for a general election, then someone like Hughes coming in. Though Hughes is very popular, some papers have him ahead. Stupid bloody party should just rally around the one candidate, make it a coronation than an ugly battle for leadership.

Amazing how politics brings us down to our most base levels eh?

I like Ming, think he'd be a good leader for a general election, then someone like Hughes coming in. Though Hughes is very popular, some papers have him ahead. Stupid bloody party should just rally around the one candidate, make it a coronation than an ugly battle for leadership.

Amazing how politics brings us down to our most base levels eh?

I like Hughes, he studied at one of my favourite places, but he'd be a disaster as a national party leader. Easily pigeon-holed as a musty lefty. They'd get hammered in many of the places - including Oaten's Winchester - that they won from the Tories.

I like Hughes, he studied at one of my favourite places, but he'd be a disaster as a national party leader. Easily pigeon-holed as a musty lefty. They'd get hammered in many of the places - including Oaten's Winchester - that they won from the Tories.

True true. "Liberal" is gaining the same dubious honour here as it is over your neck of the woods :(

I used the word 'liberal' in class last week and had to quickly explain that I meant economic, rather than political, liberal.

RECLAIM THE WORD!

He has young kids as well. Nice of him to keep their welfare in mind. Silly fecker.

Au contraire. He was living the liberal dream. Hopefully one of the men was a half African, half Asian, clinically deaf, former single mother asylum-seeker and the other bloke was ginger and he really is qualified to represent everyone. It's his wife and her stuffy conservative views that need to be put under real scrutiny in this thread.