By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

What do you tell a kid who has just seen a suicide?

JonShar

In your own way let him know if there is anything he wants to talk about you are around to listen. Just keep an eye on him without appearing to pressure him. If you feel he is acting out of the ordinary don't highlight it just engage him in a general conversation and see where it leads.

Sorry he had to experience such a thing and for the family of the person involved too.

It's a terrible thing for everyone who saw it and the poor woman and her family. You should ask at the school as others will have seen it too. Someone there might be well placed to advise you. Good luck to him and to anyone else involved in any way.

Don't know the full details yet but it seems that the woman walked onto the campus from the street and made her way to the top of the main building. She didn't work there - but may well have known the place.

The school should be able to deal with this. It is run by the La Salle brothers (religious order) and several of them live in the school on a permanent basis. This will not be dealt with as a purely administrative matter.

As for laughter? Time and place for everything. I do not belive this is either that time or that place.

Kid managed to sleep the night though... That I am relieved about.

Don't know the full details yet but it seems that the woman walked onto the campus from the street and made her way to the top of the main building. She didn't work there - but may well have known the place.

The school should be able to deal with this. It is run by the La Salle brothers (religious order) and several of them live in the school on a permanent basis. This will not be dealt with as a purely administrative matter.

As for laughter? Time and place for everything. I do not belive this is either that time or that place.

thats good man...he'll be fine.

Wrong. As a man who has seen similar you find your laughs were you can. Never be precious about anything. Everything is funny until proven otherwise.

Then you have a laugh on your own bloody thread about death, don't assume everyone else feels the same way.

As Scally said, time and a place for everything - this is neither.

Good to hear mate - seperate subject though - bit surprised that your lad is going to a La Salle school - or are this lot more 'enlightened' than is traditionally seen in the UK?

Guest roger

so many people were jumpin from the local multi story in my town that we were thinkin of ordering a skip. Council put some fencing up tho. On the top level.

:unsure:

I lived in Colchester for a while. the University of Essex have a campus there and student accomadation is in a few high rise tower blocks. there was a spat of students jumping from there and from that time onwards the blocks are known as suicide towers.

I'm not even sure if they have a proper name...

...landed in sight of where they were training (4:30 pm).

He seems okay about it but he hasn't tried to sleep yet. I might well have to get up later...

Er, I think I'm in the wrong forum...

Well that just about sums up the whole sodding thing doesn't it.

Having seen the results of one close up and learning about another (Both people I knew very well) when I was a youngster - there's nothing you can do, really - just be there if they want to talk about it - but I found words were a bit irrelevant for me..

He should be OK.

I lived in Colchester for a while. the University of Essex have a campus there and student accomadation is in a few high rise tower blocks. there was a spat of students jumping from there and from that time onwards the blocks are known as suicide towers.

I'm not even sure if they have a proper name...

If they do, no one in the town knows them. Drove past them several times when organising our wedding (Wivenhoe House), and every time either the Mrs, or one of the in-laws refered to them as that

Still, not as bad as Lancaster...

I have an experience of suicide myself, and it is not nice for those left behind, but a lady in one of our office blocks saw daughter jump from the multistory carpark next door. To experience it is one thing, to witness a loved one doing it must be unrecoverable.

Wrong. As a man who has seen similar you find your laughs were you can. Never be precious about anything. Everything is funny until proven otherwise.

For arguments sake, would that include jokes about Hillsborough?

I know that the joke wasn't directly about suicide or murder as such. I just don't feel it really fitted with the tone of the thread, which kind of goes against the claim that anything is fair game for humour at any time.

Not trying to be arsey or precious, and I wasnlt massively offended by the gag or anything, just suggesting that maybe there are times/places when jokes just aren't appropriate.

For arguments sake, would that include jokes about Hillsborough?

if i stub my toe its a tragedy, if you break your leg its comedy

of course it would...but as weve agreed theres a time and a place.

in my time ive heard jokes bout WW2, cot death, the twin towers, ethiopan famine, Iraq, cancer etc etc etc all of which have resulted in thousands more deaths than hillsborough...maybe youve been told some yourself or maybe you havent i cant say for sure(though i wonder if youd say the same about them)

if scally doesnt see it as appropiate in this thread then it isnt.

Edited by Ostrich Man

Scally - It seems your lad is fine now, which is good news for him, and you and your family.

If he did want to talk about it at any stage my advice would be to explain, simply, that perhaps this woman felt that she had no other choice to end her suffering. You should make clear to your son that this well never, ever be true for him - that you, and his mother (and brothers and sisters if he has any) will always be there to talk about ANYTHING in his life, however big or small.

This woman clearly felt she didn't have this option. I bet there are a few of her relations out there who are sure that they could have helped had she spoken with them.

I know you know it already, but it's important to drill into your kids that they can always "lean" on you. Even for a few grand for University debt later in life. It's what parents are for.

Hope all is ok.

Thanks Case. Just been talking to his Grandmother (me mum) about this... He has support in abundance if ever he needs it. The valuing his own life angle is certainly one I will take opportunities to underline.

Looking back. I never had to deal with anything like this during my youth. The worst moments were always the death of a kid at school through an accident... Had a couple of those.