By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Is this just me

Murphman

There's a huge campaign going on at the moment concerning a local woman imprisoned in America. She was involved in a massive fraud in which thousands lost a lot of money for which she will serve a minimum 20 years.

Our local New Labour MP Fiona McTaggart is heading up the campaign to get her released to serve her time in the UK so her family can visit her regularly. There's petitions flying around all over the place.

Why should the British taxpayer pick up the bill for encarcerating this theiving bitch for the next 20 years, let her feckin stay in the States I reckon>

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you can get 18 months for killing someone in this country so 20 years for fraud must be excessive to most MPs :rolleyes:

Well done. That's exactly the issue. :rolleyes:

I too am in the uncomfortable position of agreeing with Murph.

see it over and over again Murph - Louise Woodward, kills a child, proved in court, and the British people and media campaign like billy-o to bring 'our' poor little victimised Louise back 'home'.

that was disgraceful

around the time of the national nervous breakdown over Diana, wasn't it?

strange days indeed

The right to visits from family/friends is one of the few rights still available to prisoners. Which is fair enough.

Although the UK taxpayer ought not have to pick up the bill.

cant we just send them a yank back by return?

If the crime was committed in America or, it it's some kind of long distance fraud, against American victims, then I don't see why she shouldn't serve the term in America.

If some American defrauded European citizens in some way, we wouldn't want them going back to America to serve their sentence.

Same as when some British kid gets the birch in Singapore/Dubai/Saudi and there's an outcry from our elected officials about the inhumanity of a system that doesn't seem to interest them otherwise.

Same as when some British kid gets the birch in Singapore/Dubai/Saudi and there's an outcry from our elected officials about the inhumanity of a system that doesn't seem to interest them otherwise.

I remember that case from '94 (kid had vandalised some cars I think). Had an argument with a girl at a party about it - she claimed he shouldn't have been punished because it wasn't his fault he was there. I did try and point out that he was old enough to know the rules, but she wouldn't have it :rolleyes:

I remember that case from '94 (kid had vandalised some cars I think). Had an argument with a girl at a party about it - she claimed he shouldn't have been punished because it wasn't his fault he was there. I did try and point out that he was old enough to know the rules, but she wouldn't have it :rolleyes:

I tell you what, there'd be less vandalism here in Britain if we were allowed to birch the little b*stards. No doubt about it. Singapore has the right idea, if you ask me.

I tell you what, there'd be less vandalism here in Britain if we were allowed to birch the little b*stards. No doubt about it. Singapore has the right idea, if you ask me.

Must admit I felt totally safe wandering about the streets late at night - not a scrap of litter in sight either. Coming back, you realise just how shabby this country is

Must admit I felt totally safe wandering about the streets late at night - not a scrap of litter in sight either. Coming back, you realise just how shabby this country is

And there are no beggars in Beijing before nightfall. China's ace.

Of course that's fair enough, I'm sure the prisoner has that right as well.

Which isn't really a genuine right when the person is 3000 plus miles from the people who would want to visit them and it would cost thousands of pounds to do so.

If some American defrauded European citizens in some way, we wouldn't want them going back to America to serve their sentence.

I wouldn't give a flying one where the sentence was served, here or there.

Whilst I agree something radically different needs to be done here in Britain to shock the criminals out of their current swagger, surely the state can't be seen to sanction violence against the person? Can it?

I could be persuaded either way, actually.

Whilst I agree something radically different needs to be done here in Britain to shock the criminals out of their current swagger, surely the state can't be seen to sanction violence against the person? Can it?

I could be persuaded either way, actually.

Think of the possibilities for citizens arrests!

;)

Don't do the crime etc.

Being in prison is plenty enough punishment. People make mistakes. No need to compound that by denying them some minimum standards, which we, were we to find ourselves in that position, would hope for.

Think of the possibilities for citizens arrests!

;)

Why would anyone want to do that? You only get grief over it so you can't win.

Being in prison is plenty enough punishment. People make mistakes. No need to compound that by denying them some minimum standards, which we, were we to find ourselves in that position, would hope for.

Interesting point here about minimum standards though. I heard a guy recently who'd been transferred from the notorious Bangkok Hilton to serve a portion of his sentence in a British prison. He said for all the state of the Bangkok prison, he felt that it was preferable to the British jail. He reckoned the appalling brutality of the prison regime and the casual violence metered out by the British screws made it a worse experience for him that being in bad conditions but left pretty much to yourself over there.

In a previous job, I used to have to visit the prison Hospital in Walton Jail and believe me, you want to stay as far away from there as humanly possible. It is a truly appalling place. But that guy Frank Abignalle who the story "Catch me if you can" is based on, said the worst jail time he did was in France where the penal system is still truly archaic. But he said that's how it should be and criminals SHOULD be afraid of going inside as the deterrent effect is greater.

Edited by Paul B

Who said that the level of civilisation in any society should be judged by how it treated its weakest members, such as those left forgotten in prison? What government declared that prison was "an expensive way to make bad people worse"?